• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #73 - Amerzone

Total Posts: 5057

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

zobraks - 20 July 2022 01:17 PM

I still don’t dig that windmill-like contraption. What exactly did I do when I turned the wheel on its side?

Very, VERY subtle. But when you turn the wheel you see a gear rise up to engage a cog on the windmill. I guess it connects the drive shaft to the pump.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 4289

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Now I only have to figure out what a drive shaft is.
When it comes to mechanical vocabulary (especially in English, which is not my native tongue) I’m (almost) tabula rasa.

Btw, I’ve checked a couple of walkthroughs (after I finished the chapter) and each one has a unique/different explanation regarding the pipe that leads from the windmill to the sea. One says that the pipe is used to “aerate the lagoon” (?!?), the other states that the water is pumped through the pipe. The author of the third walkthrough was sincere: he admitted he didn’t have a clear idea why he did things with the machinery, let alone what each part of the machinery was for - he just said what he did and in what order. Crazy

P.S. Oddly enough, there isn’t a walkthrough of Amerzone by MaGtRo (anyone slightly familiar with adventure games ought to know who she is). I like her walkthroughs the best.

P.P.S. Apparently (and regretfully) there isn’t such a thing as Official Amerzone Walkthrough.

It could always be worse, remember that.
mjp

Total Posts: 5620

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

One thing that didn’t make sense to me was since the hydrafloat/plane flew from France to Central America, why did it appear to be flying east instead of west?

I don’t really rise and shine.  I caffeinate and hope for the best.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I don’t know. I didn’t give much thought to the course the Hydrafloat was taking.

mjp

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

A drive shaft is nothing more than a pipe that connects a power source (in this case the turning windmill blades) to whatever needs to be powered (in this case, the water/air pump.) And it does that by gears. Think of a rear-wheel-drive car. The drive shaft connects the engine to the rear axle, which turns the wheels.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

If you ask me how the windmill worked I have absolutely no idea. Unless it is extremely obvious what I have to do my approach is usually first exploratory and basic testing to understand how it works (whatever it is).

“What happens if I lower this lever?, what happens if I turn this wheel?”
And sometimes it works directly without having invested much time and thought as in this case. “I think I can put this helmet/suit on here”, what? Can I get into the water now? Nice.

Charophycean - 20 July 2022 04:12 AM

I don’t think I will continue. The game wasn’t a happy experience for me at all (which is the same life is going for me right now). I did everything in Tenebra’s post (before she posted) and still the craft didn’t go. Besides everyone else is far ahead by now and I didn’t feel like I was a part of the CP.

I feel pain in my heart for not being able to cope with the puzzles. I imagine I have pride from completing similar games without walkthroughs, and needing hints while not being able to solve the earliest puzzles is similar to the grief of failing an exam, or being rejected by a close friend.

I’m sorry you’re leaving us. I think that if your mind and emotions are not in a comfortable place at the moment (as it has happened to me and surely to others) it is understandable that a small frustration like not being able to solve a puzzle quickly can turn into a non-positive experience for you.

Patience and time.

As Lady K said Chapter 2 is very short and you should be able to catch up if you decide to try one more time.

Lady Kestrel - 20 July 2022 02:45 PM

One thing that didn’t make sense to me was since the hydrafloat/plane flew from France to Central America, why did it appear to be flying east instead of west?

That’s a very… detail-oriented observation. Maybe it was trying to… go all the way around?

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Heh.  If so, then the hydrafloat would have required a few more fuel stops and the game would be much longer. Smile

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

And your arm would’ve grown numb from patting Charophycean on the back. Grin

mjp

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 20 July 2022 02:45 PM

Almost sort of. Remember the heading, 145-degrees. So the hydrofloat was heading SSE at launch. A right turn over the Med to a SSW heading would have him land in the Americas. Not that I would ever consider taking a trans-Atlantic flight on that piece of junk. Laughing

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 529

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Tenebra - 20 July 2022 04:25 PM
Charophycean - 20 July 2022 04:12 AM

I don’t think I will continue. The game wasn’t a happy experience for me at all (which is the same life is going for me right now). I did everything in Tenebra’s post (before she posted) and still the craft didn’t go. Besides everyone else is far ahead by now and I didn’t feel like I was a part of the CP.

I feel pain in my heart for not being able to cope with the puzzles. I imagine I have pride from completing similar games without walkthroughs, and needing hints while not being able to solve the earliest puzzles is similar to the grief of failing an exam, or being rejected by a close friend.

I’m sorry you’re leaving us. I think that if your mind and emotions are not in a comfortable place at the moment (as it has happened to me and surely to others) it is understandable that a small frustration like not being able to solve a puzzle quickly can turn into a non-positive experience for you.

Patience and time.

As Lady K said Chapter 2 is very short and you should be able to catch up if you decide to try one more time.

Thank you for your words of compassion.

I would continue, but I’m still stuck on chapter 1 with the issues I posted on. I won’t check a walkthrough - it’s a community playthrough and to go outside of that community for help defeats the purpose of participating.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Good!

Let’s see:

1) You were able to stop the elevator on sublevel 1 right? If so, you broke the wall with the hammer and got to where the egg was. There is a lever there that sends the egg to the hydro-float.

2) If you have already done the above, you must return to where the hydrofloat is (sublevel 2). Surely if you have already been here you will have seen a ladder that if you go up it there is another lever. Activate it. This way the egg will be positioned in the hydrofloat.(Image attached)

3) Now you only need to activate the computer in the hydro-float. For this you use the floppy disk. It will ask you what you want to use, the first option is the only one enabled (airplane).

The computer will say something like this:
Fuel: ok.
Egg: ok.
Details: no.

At this point you will be asked to enter the destination coordinate, which is 145, according to the direction of the geese. Confirm destination and that should be all.

Image Attachments

2022-07-21.png

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 529

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Thank you!

The only thing I hadn’t done was to use the disk on the hover-computer. For some reason it never occurred to me to do that, even though it fits the shape. I suppose it’s because I’m not a very visual person, so I just thought computer, instead of seeing the slot there.

Finished chapter 2 as well, which was a breeze. I’m already relishing the sun and light and am much happier spending longer exploring each scene from now on..

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 1352

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

@Charophycean - Excellent, great to have you back on board and back in the sun Smile

I’m glad there’s room for us all in the hydrafloat but I am starting to question how he got that thing insured. I assume that you carried out all the proper risk assessments for the whole trip before we began Lady K? Wink

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Woo-hoo!  I’m glad you’re continuing the journey with us, Charo. 

Intense Degree - 21 July 2022 09:55 AM

I assume that you carried out all the proper risk assessments for the whole trip before we began Lady K? Wink

Umm.  It’s more like a hope and a prayer, Intense. Grin

I’m hoping to hear from Chrissie and Nico before we move on, so let’s wait until tomorrow to start chapter 3.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I also want to try and catch up, but there’s some stuff going on - I hope to re-join somewhere during chapter 3.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top