• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Top 100 - what changes would you make?

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

This idea was taken from an idea on another thread from user meteor, that readers could improve upon the staff’s Top 100. I found it an interesting idea since it’s been over a decade since the list was made, and I wanted to see which new games people would add as well as well as oldies they thought were missing in the first place.

In case someone doesn’t know what’s this “Top 100” I’m talking about, it’s AdventureGamers’ 2011 list of the all-time best 100 adventure games.

So, which games would you remove and which would you put in their place?

I’ll kick things off with a few of mine.

Remove:
Runaway: A Twist of Fate: I played all 3 Runaway games and found them enjoyable, but didn’t think them remotely worthy of a list on anything except perhaps “game series which overstayed their welcome”.
Gold Rush: I tried it long ago and again when the remakes came out, and found it boring as all hell. It’s a Sierra game sure, but that doesn’t mean it’s any good. The justification the staff uses seems to be that it’s edutainment and you learn a lot, but surely there’s edutainment that’s less boring than this!
Portal 2: Both Portals are fantastic games, but having both on the list? Given that Portal 2 was released just before the Top 100 was written I’d say this was a case of being under the sway of what I call “recently released game syndrome” where we overrate experiences fresh in our memory. We’ve all done it.

Add:
The Witness: It’s forgivable that this wasn’t included since it’s a 2016 game, and no doubt it’s not a game for everyone. Personally, I loved it, and spent the days and weeks during which I was playing it doing and thinking of little else.
Beavis and Butthead in Virtual Stupidity: I’m a little embarrassed to have this here, but it’s one of the most entertaining and humorous games I’ve played.
Little Big Adventure: There’s some debate whether this is an action or adventure, but whatever it is, it’s charming as hell. There was nothing else like it when it came out, and there still isn’t.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Sure! I’m going to think about this. For now, shoutout to Twinsen! It’s a shame the series didn’t get a third installment.

Do you prefer the first game to it’s successor, by the way?

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Vegetable Party - 19 June 2022 06:43 AM

Sure! I’m going to think about this. For now, shoutout to Twinsen! It’s a shame the series didn’t get a third installment.

Do you prefer the first game to it’s successor, by the way?

I played (or devoured) them both in quick succession so they’ve both fairly indistinguishable for me. But I’ll say the first game because it had more impact on me.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 1263

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I would definetely add Technobabylon, Blackwell Epiphany and Primordia.

Being Spaniard myself I can’t vote against Runaway.

Games I haven’t played yet but I have my doubts if they should be on the list:

-Gold Rush!
-Spycraft: The Great Game
-Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened
-Drawn: The Painted Tower

By the way, in and old Spanish website not active anymore we had something called “Megalist”, a ranking list with all the games rated for users in that site. The rating should be 0-100. It would be great having something like that here:

http://la-aventura.eu/colabora/megalista/

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Hey, great idea!

Making room was easy enough. Does the Top Hundred really need 2 Syberias, 3 MIs, 4(!) Mysts, etcetera? Absolutely not. So be gone, Syberia 2, Simon 2, Journeyman Project 2, Portal 2, MI 2, Maniac Mansion 1, KQ 1, QfG 2, Tex 3, Myst 3 and 4. And I wouldn’t shed a tear if I never saw casual game Drawn mentioned again.

My Pre-2000 Top Twenty is still covered but I’d like to see lots of recent games added. Preferably my entire Post-2000 Top Twenty of course.Smile I’ll start with the ones that many, if not most, players consider quality games.

Outer Wilds – exploring an impressive SF universe, piecing the story together, and the immensely satisfactory ending that defies being categorized
Return of the Obra Dinn – need I say more
The Witness – wonderful puzzles and so much thought-provoking stuff in the rich game world
There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension – fun from start to finish
The Wolf Among Us – BIGBY! And Snow of course. And Toad. And Faith. And…

I still have room for 7 newcomers which will never enter the real Top 100.
Cube Escape: Paradox to honor the entire series and for its unique combination of game and short movie.
The Sea Will Claim Everything by the highly talented Jonas Kyratzes, who knows how to combine story, philosophy, humor and politics.
The Longing. Couldn’t get enough of it.
Dear Esther. A deeply emotional experience for me.
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout. But only the original German edition.
Deponia Doomsday. The most controversial game of the series and that’s saying something. I thought it was the best one. Wrapped everything up perfectly.
The Stanley Parable

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2018-02-08

PM

Karlok - 19 June 2022 09:10 AM

Making room was easy enough. Does the Top Hundred really need 2 Syberias, 3 MIs, 4(!) Mysts, etcetera? Absolutely not. So be gone, Syberia 2, Simon 2, Journeyman Project 2, Portal 2, MI 2, Maniac Mansion 1, KQ 1, QfG 2, Tex 3, Myst 3 and 4. And I wouldn’t shed a tear if I never saw casual game Drawn mentioned again.

I think the individual games should be listed as they are strong enough on their own. Frankly, it would be weird to ommit MI2 in a list of the top 100 adventuregames.

It’s a pretty good list, but I find the ranking weird. The longest journey is a good game, but not really in the top ten games of all time.

Message #43

Total Posts: 1263

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

fiksdal - 19 June 2022 10:06 AM
Karlok - 19 June 2022 09:10 AM

I think the individual games should be listed as they are strong enough on their own. Frankly, it would be weird to ommit MI2 in a list of the top 100 adventuregames.

It’s a pretty good list, but I find the ranking weird. The longest journey is a good game, but not really in the top ten games of all time.

What is weird is Day of the Tentacle 6th, when it is the best of all.

I agree MI2 should stand, but not other games from series: Portal 1 and Syberia 2 for example.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

@fiksdal and walas
Why don’t you make your own list instead of criticizing mine?

EDIT: oops

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2012-06-18

PM

Remove from top 10,

3 – Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within
5 – Riven
7 – The Last Express
9 – Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive
10 – Portal 2

Move to top 10,

The Curse of Monkey Island
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Leisure Suit Larry: Love for Sail!
Sanitarium
Simon the Sorcerer

Total Posts: 320

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

An updated list would be nice. Hmm. The idea would be: Which 100 adventures would you recommend playing today and rank them accordingly. I guess everyone has a different top 100 list and a different idea about what an adventure game is. Then you would need to put this together the best way, so, that it also speaks some objective truth and offers a benefit. I guess I would start from scratch. It could make sense to get rid of the ranking.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i like Karlok suggestions, tho they tend lean on the sophistication aspect (if that makes sense) more than just gaming.

expect for Edna & Harvey: The Breakout, which can take its place on the top of all piles, but that’s just me.

Riven is essential, it does not just represent both sides, ‘gaming and ‘sophistication’ it represents ‘great intentions’ and above all, delivered (also if that can make anysense).

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

I would remove a lot of the games in the 80-100 spots besides The Dig, replace the Infocom text adventures with some actual choices.

However, I don’t think I would want the AG staff to choose the games for the next iteration. I think it would be great if they let the users pick this time, kind of like how the reader’s choice is done for the Aggies, where they would let us pick our top 20 where we can select any game in the site database and then make a top 100 out of the aggregate rankings.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Charophycean - 19 June 2022 05:24 AM

So, which games would you remove and which would you put in their place?

I’ll kick things off with a few of mine.

Remove:
Runaway: A Twist of Fate: I played all 3 Runaway games and found them enjoyable, but didn’t think them remotely worthy of a list on anything except perhaps “game series which overstayed their welcome”.

Are you kidding?
The first Runaway was great! The sequels were a bit more difficult to take, one reason being how the protagonist changed from an accidental nerd to some cool dude.

But anyway, I think the list could use some improvement for sure.

REMOVE:
1) Everything by Jane Jensen.
2) Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist (this must be some April’s fool on the list, right?)
3) Infocom text adventures (not because of the games, but that kind of entry would also mean that Sierra adventure games should be a single entry!)

There are plenty of other games that I could take off the list, but let’s limit it to three.

ADD:
1) The Darkside Detective.
2) Dead Synchronicity: Tomorrow Comes Today.
3) Shenmue.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Borderline trolling topic.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

GateKeeper - 19 June 2022 04:39 PM

REMOVE:

This must be some April Fools’, right?

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Doom - 19 June 2022 04:48 PM
GateKeeper - 19 June 2022 04:39 PM

REMOVE:

This must be some April Fools’, right?

I don’t get it myself, too, that is too harsh! but I can’t deny that I like strong opinions.. so as much as I can say it again, I think I always made it clear that I think JJ is a bit overrated, I would bury not her, as no one can argue that she had given life to two of the most important adventures in the history of the genre, but in the context of Sierra, only..

if you cant think where am I coming from with all this, let me say it like this, I never ‘loved’ Pink Floyd but also never dared to discredit their talents and impact

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top