• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Kathy Rain Directors Cut unofficial CPT

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

rtrooney - 04 December 2021 09:35 PM

Day three. I still haven’t started it. Other constraints indicate I may not get to it in the near future. So, not to fall further behind I decided to watch Day three on YouTube. Maybe there was a subliminal recollection of the original game, but this Day was incredibly boring. Even the guy posting the WT couldn’t figure out what he was supposed to do. There was nothing I saw in this episode that, as far as I could see, hinted at new material.

I may continue by playing YouTube WTs for the rest of the PT. I just don’t have the time to play the game as it was meant to be played.

I will certainly finish the game when time permits.

I would suggest playing as opposed to watching on YouTube. Watching on YouTube instead of playing can get pretty boring.

The thread is not going away, so you can play when you can and chapter 5 is not going to have a time limit so you really have all the time you need.

I think day 4 should be your cup of tea, I enjoyed that day allot.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I finished day 4 and it seemed rather long. Not that it’s a bad thing, I’m just getting to bed a bit later than I should. I suppose the DC added some length? I don’t seem to remember the later parts of the game as well as the beginning, so I still can’t figure out what’s added. I think it is the growing sense of urgency that makes me mostly just remember the feelings than the things actually happened.

And day 4 goes down the rabbit hole quite fast. I didn’t consider day 3 boring, but I have always liked slower stars. I like the normalcy in the beginning and the hints of what’s to come. The descent in to weirdness is an enjoyable process. At the end of day 4 we can definitely say goodbye to the last shreds of normalcy.

I did consider the priest very suspicious from the beginning, he reacted hesitantly to some items, for example. But I didn’t remember that he right out kidnaps and does his evil mojo to Eileen the very day they meet. Goober had hinted that the older priest had been a cultist but the new one was different - in a good way, but it’s revealed that it’s the younger one that doesn’t understand consent. Though I guess Goober probably had his own history with the lights considering his mental state.

I spend a good while hunting for a stupid spark plug, and I couldn’t even ask help from Eileen, damnit!. Earlier I was hunting another item and figured I had “cleared” the place, I always think stupid things like that, and then I’m stuck seeking some arbitrary item.

This is a story about some sad and twisted things. I remember something about the last day, mainly the trials ahead but I really can’t recall much what the whole deal was about. Not that I think it ever was cleanly explained anyway. But I am interested in experiencing it again. And maybe it is revealed a bit more this time, since that was something the DC promised to deliver.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

should. I suppose the DC added some length? I don’t seem to remember the later parts of the game as well as the beginning, so I still can’t figure out what’s added. I think it is the growing sense of urgency that makes me mostly just remember the feelings than the things actually happened.

Yes, the DLC lengthened day 4. To me, the extra material really added to the game, made the game easier to understand. I did replay day 4 in the regular Kathy Rain and it was much shorter.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Puzzle wise I liked two “time sequence” puzzles in day 4. I’m sure they’re not that hard to figure out and the game probably doesn’t punish you for getting them wrong, but they still give the player the impression of getting rewarded for paying attention.

Also the combination puzzle had a good interface.

Did any of these puzzles change at all, I think they were pretty much the same?

Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

millenia - 07 December 2021 02:00 AM

Puzzle wise I liked two “time sequence” puzzles in day 4. I’m sure they’re not that hard to figure out and the game probably doesn’t punish you for getting them wrong, but they still give the player the impression of getting rewarded for paying attention.

Also the combination puzzle had a good interface.

Did any of these puzzles change at all, I think they were pretty much the same?

I believe that those puzzles were the same in both versions.

Heart

Total Posts: 5844

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

millenia - 25 November 2021 07:20 PM

I went ahead and continued the game from last night and finished day 3 already. It seemed a bit longer and required some going back and forth but it’s still been a very streamlined experience. Again I am quite unsure what has been added to the game……..

I also after finishing Day 3 couldn’t pinpoint what, if anything had been added – dialogue perhaps?

………. Considering the mystery, at this moment I’m feeling the similarities with Oxenfree - which is a good thing.

I hadn’t got around to playing Oxenfree which I bought some time ago. I’m now intrigued!

I’m not sure what else to say about Day 3. I don’t remember the details of the plot which thickens as more is revealed about the Red Man.

Adv_Lvr - 03 December 2021 01:19 PM

Well, I finished day 4, and what a day it was. Very different from the original Kathy Rain. And I mean that in a good way. Better puzzles and more to do in the Directors Cut. It’s also easier to understand the plot also.

millenia - 06 December 2021 05:36 PM

I finished day 4 and it seemed rather long…..  I don’t seem to remember the later parts of the game as well as the beginning, so I still can’t figure out what’s added.

I haven’t quite finished Day 4 yet – I think I just need to work out the combination for the safe Yes, it does seem to be a lot longer than in the original.

I don’t remember Parawan Peak, the boat, treehouse & Nathan’s picture puzzle the latter though helping with the sequence of events which led to Lily’s drowning.

I don’t remember having to distract Lenny to escape the jail & got stuck there for a while.
I should be ready to move on to Day 5 by tomorrow. 
Smile

Total Posts: 1085

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

chrissie - 08 December 2021 09:39 AM

Smile

Let me know if Lily’s ghost removed from DC ending.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

chrissie - 08 December 2021 09:39 AM
millenia - 25 November 2021 07:20 PM

I went ahead and continued the game from last night and finished day 3 already. It seemed a bit longer and required some going back and forth but it’s still been a very streamlined experience. Again I am quite unsure what has been added to the game……..

I also after finishing Day 3 couldn’t pinpoint what, if anything had been added – dialogue perhaps?

………. Considering the mystery, at this moment I’m feeling the similarities with Oxenfree - which is a good thing.

I hadn’t got around to playing Oxenfree which I bought some time ago. I’m now intrigued!

I’m not sure what else to say about Day 3. I don’t remember the details of the plot which thickens as more is revealed about the Red Man.

Adv_Lvr - 03 December 2021 01:19 PM

Well, I finished day 4, and what a day it was. Very different from the original Kathy Rain. And I mean that in a good way. Better puzzles and more to do in the Directors Cut. It’s also easier to understand the plot also.

millenia - 06 December 2021 05:36 PM

I finished day 4 and it seemed rather long…..  I don’t seem to remember the later parts of the game as well as the beginning, so I still can’t figure out what’s added.

I haven’t quite finished Day 4 yet – I think I just need to work out the combination for the safe Yes, it does seem to be a lot longer than in the original.

I don’t remember Parawan Peak, the boat, treehouse & Nathan’s picture puzzle the latter though helping with the sequence of events which led to Lily’s drowning.

I don’t remember having to distract Lenny to escape the jail & got stuck there for a while.
Smile

Day 3 had one puzzle different. That’s it. Day 4, however, was much better in the DC version.

Anyway, it’s time to finish this game. Let’s play day 5 now - this completes the game. No time limit, but do post your thoughts on day 5 and the game overall.

Heart

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I finished day 5 and the game. I liked this day 5 much better than the original Kathy Rains day 5. Like day 4, there’s more to do and has some really cool additional content.

I’m actually sad to see the game end, it’s such a fun game. I only hope the rest of you enjoy it also.

I’m going to replay both the original Kathy Rain and the DC again soon.

It would be great if we had an Aggie of any kind for this game. It deserves one big time.

Heart

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I always have my favorite adventure game I’ve played in the year I give the award.

This year, it’s between Kathy Rain DC and The Book of Unwritten Tales 2. And I’ve played about 56 adventure games so far in 2021.

When I finish The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 I’ll decide which was my favorite I played this year. Both were simply amazing.

Heart

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I finished the game. Day 5 was shorter and more straightforward than days 3 and 4 - like I remembered. Again, not really sure how much was changed, I couldn’t pinpoint anything specific.

A shorter pause between days 4 and 5 would have been better, it was a bit strange to enter “the place” after several days out of the game.

In the end, not much about the bigger mystery is revealed. I wish I’d still know more, but it’s not something that the story requires. There is a closure with meeting grandpa and I guess that is the quest Kathy left for and the actual story that’s been told here.

I am left with some conflicted feelings. I would be happy to see Kathy and Eileen tackle another mystery, or even revisit this one to find out more, but then again maybe it is just fine like this.

I still had 3 bike models unlocked in the end, I wonder what unlocks them. Some random stuff? Certain choices?

It’s hard for me to see if the DC improved the game as I don’t seem to recall the earlier playthrough well enough to notice the differences, but I guess I can believe that the things altered or added are improvements, though I probably did enjoy my first playthrough a bit more. But that’s probably just because everything was new and creepy. The first time is always the first time.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

millenia - 12 December 2021 05:57 PM

I finished the game. Day 5 was shorter and more straightforward than days 3 and 4 - like I remembered. Again, not really sure how much was changed, I couldn’t pinpoint anything specific.

A shorter pause between days 4 and 5 would have been better, it was a bit strange to enter “the place” after several days out of the game.

In the end, not much about the bigger mystery is revealed. I wish I’d still know more, but it’s not something that the story requires. There is a closure with meeting grandpa and I guess that is the quest Kathy left for and the actual story that’s been told here.

I am left with some conflicted feelings. I would be happy to see Kathy and Eileen tackle another mystery, or even revisit this one to find out more, but then again maybe it is just fine like this.

I still had 3 bike models unlocked in the end, I wonder what unlocks them. Some random stuff? Certain choices?

It’s hard for me to see if the DC improved the game as I don’t seem to recall the earlier playthrough well enough to notice the differences, but I guess I can believe that the things altered or added are improvements, though I probably did enjoy my first playthrough a bit more. But that’s probably just because everything was new and creepy. The first time is always the first time.

I also played the regular Kathy Rain day 5 to see the differences, and there were a few. Mainly the end was expanded upon and helped make the game much more interesting. Also the story was better explained and easier to understand. Don’t get me wrong, the original Kathy Rain is quite good, but this one is better and more fun to play and above all, to understand.

Kathy Rain DC, like Blade Runner FC is the definitive version.

Heart

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Adv_Lvr - 13 December 2021 07:18 PM

I also played the regular Kathy Rain day 5 to see the differences, and there were a few. Mainly the end was expanded upon and helped make the game much more interesting. Also the story was better explained and easier to understand. Don’t get me wrong, the original Kathy Rain is quite good, but this one is better and more fun to play and above all, to understand.

Heart

I really liked the DC version of Kathy Rain. I’d love to see a few other games get this treatment too, Whispers of a Machine being the top of my list. There’s a few areas I’d love to see expanded in that game.

Does anyone else have a game they would love to see a DC version?

Heart

Total Posts: 1676

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Adv_Lvr - 15 December 2021 07:30 PM

Heart

I really liked the DC version of Kathy Rain. I’d love to see a few other games get this treatment too, Whispers of a Machine being the top of my list. There’s a few areas I’d love to see expanded in that game.

Heart

For me it would be full throttle because I always wanted to see more of the cave fish’s lair

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Jdawg445 - 15 December 2021 08:16 PM
Adv_Lvr - 15 December 2021 07:30 PM

Heart

Heart

For me it would be full throttle because I always wanted to see more of the cave fish’s lair

I’m a big fan of Full Throttle too and I’d welcome a DC of this game too.

Heart

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top