• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Voodoo Detective - Traditionally animated 2D adventure w/ Peter McConnell doing the OST. 

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

I finished Voodoo Detective about a week ago and it’s a solid game, I even liked the mix of comedy and noir-ish detective mystery. There’s just a little bit lacking in certain aspects that kept the game from getting its hooks in me the way a really great adventure does. If there was a bit more passion to the romance, a little bit more intrigue to the mystery, an exhilarating twist or two, I could easily see Voodoo Detective reaching that height. But, like I said, it winds up being a solid game—albeit one that’s very easy on the eyes.

I felt like the Voodoo Detective-ing could’ve been more creative. Each spell in your book is used only once and you basically know which spell you’ll be using in advance because of the items you’re collecting. If you needed to apply them to multiple situations differently, that would’ve helped. I could easily imagine a scenario where Voodoo Detective has to posses someone’s body to get information out of a suspect. There’s a lot you can do with the concept.

The puzzle’s weren’t a big challenge, I never got stuck, but It’s not a totally brain dead game or anything. I could imagine some people with less adventure game chops experiencing a bit of challenge. For the most part I had fun walking around and solving everything. Some of the locations you go to look especially great, particularly toward the end. I also like the villain’s performance and there’s many good character moments along the way.

I’d give it a 7, it could use a bit more of a pulse/some hook to push it over the edge but Voodoo Detective is a fun, well written game with some great artwork. You could do a lot worse. I’d play a sequel.

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2018-02-08

PM

That sums it up very well. I would subtract one star for the lack of manual saves though. This is a scourge of modern adventure games, and even worse with games featuring multiple endings and/or achievments. Forcing you to replay the entire game for an additional 20 second cutscene and/or nabbing that last achievment is the modern equivalent of a maze.

Message #43

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I started a new game and chose “sensitive” at the start to see if the dialogue was different. No, my Voodoo Detective was just as rude to his new client as before. Why make the player choose? But I stopped playing shortly after the intro, so there might be differences later on.

fiksdal - 11 June 2022 07:26 AM

That sums it up very well. I would subtract one star for the lack of manual saves though. This is a scourge of modern adventure games, and even worse with games featuring multiple endings and/or achievments. Forcing you to replay the entire game for an additional 20 second cutscene and/or nabbing that last achievment is the modern equivalent of a maze.

I like your maze analogy. It’s very annoying and possibly a gamestopper in the case of bugs.

My final score is 5.5 or 6- when I’m in a forgiving mood.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Finally decided on playing Voodoo since it doesn’t seem like it’s coming to GOG any time soon (which is strange, I mean, surely GOG is a better place for classic adventure games). Having finished it in 2 days I agree with the comments above, the game is very nicely done, but it could’ve been so much more. I got stuck only once on the stone hands puzzle - for some reason I just failed to understand the logic of the hint and then a bit near the end on the Mortal Combat-ish fight, also because I didn’t get the logic of staying alive at first. Gemini Rue might be the one to blame since I had played it before, and that game had real life logic.

Rather than that the game played more-or-less casual, with clear goals and mostly obvious solutions for the puzzles while the one-button interface and the lack of hot spots made it even easier to solve. It often felt like those locations were underused, like they could’ve been stuffed with more puzzles - like the graveyard, for example: all that work just for one fetch quest and casting one spell? Still I appreciated some unorthodox use of items and voodoo spells in particular.

Speaking of which, I thought Grammy’s book of Voodoo was a pretty cool idea, like a mix of spell cooking from Kyrandia 2 and voodoo doll making from Monkey Island 2. But, as it was mentioned above, the spells could’ve been used more creative and more than once (then again, Kyrandia 2 has similar design and nobody blames it for that).

I also found the game quite amusing, and some moments felt so silly that just remembering them makes me smile, like the - already infamous - toilet handle puzzle, or the toilet boy with his “Welcome to the bathroom!” greeting. Or the captain of the ship where the most influential locals conduct their meetings who looked and acted like the most cliched stereotypical dirty pirate they could’ve come up with. Or the French ghost telling us how he bravely escaped the crime scene while the killers were busy shooting his wife and then relaxing in a bath with a rubber duck. Those kind of details worked on me better than many visual gags.

The detective himself was a solid and pretty unique character, and the music numbers were great to listen. Always wanted a hero who can play musical instrument on occasions, and here it is even an essential part of some puzzles. Music in general and voice acting were of high standards, it’s great to find so much quality in a modern adventure. The game feels like it could use a sequel or two, I wouldn’t mind playing them at all, I just wish they put more effort into game design next time around.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I played Voodoo Detective when it first came out. I was impressed with the beautiful artwork & superb voice-acting but alas I found the story & flow a little lack-lustre as much as I enjoyed the game.

I don’t really like to knock a review & I thought this one was pretty spot on except for comment highlighted under the bad? What? Yes, within the context of the story…... for me it just adds a negative dimension to his character so shouldn’t be listed under bad!

EDIT: If that stands are the reviewers here moving towards censoring content of games?  Sick

The Bad:
Underdeveloped characters and central mystery
Short play time with rushed location transitions and finale
A few less intuitive puzzles might trip up players
VD insists on calling Mary ‘Voodoo Dollface’ even after she asks him not to

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top