• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

FlorusJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Outcast - A New Beginning

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

I just watched some videos of the upcoming game “Outcast - A New Beginning” and was very impressed. I remember the original game back in 1999. First open world non lineal game, I spent hours running around the places. It could be Game of the Year for what I’ve seen. What do you think? The graphics are astonishing.

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2023-10-19

PM

UruBoo - 26 January 2024 05:57 PM

It could be Game of the Year for what I’ve seen. What do you think?

I’m going out on a limb and predict that no, the by-the-numbers open world with animations on this side of Starfield won’t be a GOTY contender. Let’s see, developed by Appeal Studios known for the Who Wants To Be A Millionaire games, which was recently absorbed by THQ Nordic. Yeah, no, I’m not seeing it. Anyway, here’s a pre-order trailer:

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

The original Outcast was a borderline adventure at best (personally I found the shooting system too complex, why I never finished it), although it was released at the time when developers were experimenting with action/adventure mash-ups and it was hard to tell which is which. This one looks like a straight-up action game though. But nice to know they are returning to their roots, looks like a lot of effort was put into the sequel.

Lamb - 27 January 2024 08:06 AM

Let’s see, developed by Appeal Studios known for the Who Wants To Be A Millionaire games, which was recently absorbed by THQ Nordic. Yeah, no, I’m not seeing it.

Appeal are known for the original Outcast first and foremost, not sure what’s your point. It’s just that the first game didn’t sell well and they had to survive somehow all those years. But they released a remake some years ago, and now they were given a chance to create the long-planned sequel. I guess there’s enough interest generated by the fans.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2023-10-19

PM

Doom - 27 January 2024 02:33 PM

Appeal are known for the original Outcast first and foremost, not sure what’s your point.

The 30yo ship of Theseus.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Wow, didn’t know the company saw such drastic changes. From a couple of videos I saw the development of Outcast 2 is “supported”, but not led by Yves Grolet who worked on the original Outcast and the remake, as well as Michaël Defroyennes who is given the role of a senior concept artist. The lead artist Raphaël Ernaelsten also claims he was part of the original Appeal, although I didn’t find him in the credits. The rest seem to be new people indeed. Might explain why the gameplay looks so different. Oh well, I guess even with the original team attached it had zero chances to be released as an adventure game.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2024-02-07

PM

loved the original, and this one seems even better.

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2019-02-12

PM

Well, just my pov, and my optimism for this is cautionary at best, but the original Outcast (and I’m a diehard pnc Adventure fan), was easily one of the most fantastic games I ever played. There .. .. said it. 🧙‍♂️💙

Live your wildest dreams;
Take a leap, or climb, run or fly.
You may fall;
But anything is better than falling .. standing still.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Brilliant game, not an adventure.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2019-02-12

PM

It is an Adventure, an amazing one, with a superb story, but an Action-Adventure.

You may fall;

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

That’s what I said, it’s not an adventure to be listed on this or similar websites, but action, or as we called it back in the day - Arcade adventure. It’s similar to Dark Earth, another great story-driven action adventure.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2019-02-12

PM

Not quite. But I see what you’re getting at. Outcast was pretty unique and still qualified for a place in Adventure Point’s database.

You may fall;

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Gabriel - 11 February 2024 09:18 AM

Not quite. But I see what you’re getting at. Outcast was pretty unique and still qualified for a place in Adventure Point’s database.

Yes. It had actions but was most a story driven, with lot of puzzles and dialogs very well written.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Amount of loading screens insane.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top