You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Most Frustrating Puzzle in an Adventure Game?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2006, 07:15 AM   #241
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get_My_Drift
12 pages of discussion but no one mentioned the puzzle that will definitely get the title of champion by all who crossed paths with it!
I'm talking about the ending puzzle of Simon 3D,
Spoiler:
where you have to open a computer's CD-ROM drive and reboot it with the disc you have in your inventory, and the way to do it is to physically open your own computer's CD-ROM drive (yes! press it's button with your finger) and the drive inside the game will also open.
ROTFL! Love it. Isn't that what men call thinking outside the box or lateral thinking, and women and children call magical thinking or intuition.

Reminds me of GAG. A parody of adventure games with annoying diskswapping problems. CD 1 is black, CD 2 is white. When it's time to annoy the hell out of me, the game shows a pic of a computer with drive etc. You click on the drive and the game shows you CD 1 sliding out and CD 2 sliding in. Except that CD 1 is white en CD 2 is black. I'm convinced that's what's causing the swapping problems. (I'm also convinced the developers had a great time switching the colors on purpose.) So I tried to fool the game by putting in black when it was showing black. But it worked. Well.... sometimes it did.

Had no problems with the Babel fish. Piece of cake. I have this theory that it's a typically female-oriented puzzle.

I also love the donkey cart puzzle in Discworld 1. Come to think of it, I love all of Discworld. The puzzles make perfect sense within that crazy world. But I kept the walkthough within arm's reach.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:51 AM   #242

Send a message via ICQ to Nautilus

Kyrandia: The coloured stones puzzle!
Monkey Island 2: Jojo/banana/pump puzzle!
Old 02-01-2006, 03:34 PM   #243
Roar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get_My_Drift
12 pages of discussion but no one mentioned the puzzle that will definitely get the title of champion by all who crossed paths with it!

I'm talking about the ending puzzle of Simon 3D,
That puzzle enraged me. Possibly because it made me feel really, really dim when I finally cheated and looked up the solution.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:11 PM   #244
SamNMax

It is pretty clever.

Old 02-01-2006, 04:42 PM   #245
Elegantly copy+pasted

Metal Gear Solid had a bunch of "puzzles" along the same lines. You had to plug in the controller in the Player 2 port of the console and things like that.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:57 PM   #246
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

yeah but they tell you that, totaly break the 4th wall

Snaaaaake
What?
To beat him just plug the gamepad into the player 2 port
Ok...wait what?
Old 02-01-2006, 05:52 PM   #247
Elegantly copy+pasted

Why do you need more than three walls, anyway?
Old 02-02-2006, 03:54 AM   #248

Another Code/Trace Memory also had some of those "think outside the box"-puzzles.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:19 AM   #249

Default Igor: Objective Uikokahonia

I dont know how many of you have played Igor: Objective Uikokahonia, but I think this one takes the cake.

You have to find a nail that is 1 pixel by 1 pixel, in the dark, and even if you know the general area it is still hard to find.

Also I hate those mazes where almost every scene is the same and you have to go left left right up down in the right order. Anybody else hate those?
Old 03-15-2006, 10:45 AM   #250

The Clamp and the rubber duck in TLJ to get the key is the most rediculous puzzle I can imagine. Even Karl Pilkinton couldn't think that one up!
Old 03-15-2006, 10:58 AM   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftweed
The Clamp and the rubber duck in TLJ to get the key is the most rediculous puzzle I can imagine. Even Karl Pilkinton couldn't think that one up!
I already had the rubber ducky in my inventory when I was figuring that one out, so it wasn't *that* big a stretch of one's imagination, but if you didn't even notice the rubber ducky let alone get it, I imagine it was a pretty freaky puzzle.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:59 AM   #252

Gotta be Discworld... putting the octopus and various other weird things in the toilet >.<
Old 03-15-2006, 12:59 PM   #253
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

It's possible someone else has mentioned it already (I haven't read the whole thread, only the first few pages), but the satellite puzzle for The Moment of Silence was frustrating as hell. I stopped playing the game for nearly a week after reaching that puzzle.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:25 PM   #254
Proletarian

Send a message via ICQ to rocketpop Send a message via MSN to rocketpop Send a message via Yahoo to rocketpop

Heheheh... not really a "puzzle", but if anybody ever played police quest 1, it was impossible without a hint book (12 years and over, my ass).

1. Open glovebox. Get pr24. PR24??!?! What 12 year old knows that a nightstick is called a pr24!

2. Administer field sobriety test. It had to be typed just like that, too--if I remember.

Other than that, I'm going to say that the lock picking in Still Life irked me pretty good.

One of my favorites got me for a long time and it was SO EASY. Monkey Island 2... getting in to the members-only-room. The guy holds up X-many fingers and says "this is 2... then what is this.." (and then holds up a different number of fingers). You had to look at how ever many fingers he first held up, and that was the answer.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:17 PM   #255
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Okey. I hated the turning island thingy in the mechanical world in Myst. I couldn't turn it the way I wanted, so when I finally came back to my starting point I didn't dare to go back to find the other two symbols..

SyberiasII mousepuzzle irritated me because I had to go back and fetch the water every time..

Grim Fandango in general is very irritating. I have to admit that 75% of the time, I don't understand what the f*** I'm supposed to do.. Im in Rubacava now, and I'm seriously considering quiting the game, because I keep getting stuck! It's no fun playing a game where I have to repetedly read the manual.

I have played other adventure games, So I'm not such a newbie..

Other puzzles that REALLY irritates me are in Ghost master: (not a adventure game I know, but) getting the person who whizzles the correct tune to enter the room with the dead pianist(Edit: I actually managed to free him, and it was on purpose! (I think.. )), or scaring the mafia boss into the room where he's supposed to gamble(This one I haven't been able to free).. Even walkthroughs can't tell you the correct way to achive this.. or next level in the hospital, where you're supposed to get the kid to leave the bathroom and go to the other kid (I know there's a different solution to this one, I just can't bring myself to continue the game..)
Old 04-18-2006, 06:34 AM   #256
Crazy

I'd have to say the worst time I had with a puzzle was the resonance puzzle in Myst IV.
Spoiler:
I missed one of the clues somehow, a piece of paper lying on the floor. It made a nearly impossible task, well, impossible

Countless hours were spent trying to figure that out, finally stumbled across my mistake, which helped, but it still took awhile to get it right..
Old 04-19-2006, 04:26 AM   #257

hope it wasn't mentioned already. if it was...feel free to bark at me!
one of the most annoying puzzles I had to struggle through was definitely the cookie baking puzzle in still life. I really liked the game, but this puzzle was unnecessarily difficult und just felt out place.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:42 AM   #258
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Woof
Old 04-19-2006, 04:51 AM   #259
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillyIs2BLAME
hope it wasn't mentioned already. if it was...feel free to bark at me!
one of the most annoying puzzles I had to struggle through was definitely the cookie baking puzzle in still life. I really liked the game, but this puzzle was unnecessarily difficult und just felt out place.
The cookie puzzle wasn't so bad, considering how easy it is to FIND a cookie recipe and use it to convert the puzzle into ingredients. That laser puzzle, on the other hand, was ridiculous. Between that, and seeing on this forum a spoiler about the disappointing-sounding ending, I uninstalled the game and never thought twice about it. I was glad I played Post Mortem, though;as a first game, it was terrific.

...too bad Still Life felt so inferior...
Old 04-19-2006, 05:34 AM   #260

there's too many illogical puzzles and there are some in almost every adventure released ever but i just finished Ankh it's not a hard game but this one got me pissed

Spoiler:
At the end you have to eat something before you can go down some descent (and that's beacause some guy hit you with a stone and you don't have enough energy ???) and to do this you have to throw a can of figs through the nose of the sphinx in order to open it and all this while you have a hammer) in your possesion and there are plenty of other things to eat scatered around in the game.