You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Ag of the year(pc)2010

View Poll Results: Ag of the year ?
Alter Ego 1 2.27%
Art of Murder: Cards of Destiny 2 4.55%
Amnesia: The Dark Descent 2 4.55%
Black Mirror II 8 18.18%
Drawn: Dark Flight 0 0%
Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island 1 2.27%
Lost Horizon 12 27.27%
Nancy Drew: Trail of the Twister 1 2.27%
RHEM 4: The Golden Fragments 1 2.27%
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse 2 4.55%
Simon the Sorcerer 5: Who'd Even Want Contact? 1 2.27%
The Whispered World 13 29.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2010, 11:51 AM   #21

Although i really liked Gray Matter my vote goes to Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Its not only my adventure game of the year, but also my overal GOTY. That game is a modern masterpiece.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:32 PM   #22

Sadly I haven't had a chance to play any games on the list, but the one game I would vote for is Heavy Rain. It's not an AG in the classical sense, but it's maybe the most immersive game experience I've had. Great story, great writing, and great execution.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 12-10-2010, 12:43 PM   #23
She Wants Revenge

My vote would go to Gray Matter but since it's not here I will wait a bit. Currently I consider Black Mirror II to be the best but I'll wait until I've played some of the others. Whispered World and SamnMax have had very nice reviews and I will probably play them at least. Simon and Ghost Pirates should get a chance too. I don't think Art of Murder or Nancy Drew would win but might even check them out if I am bored in the future. Lost Horizon and Alter Ego were decent but neither of them is really Game of the Year material.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenia View Post
Lost Horizon and Alter Ego were decent but neither of them is really Game of the Year material.
I think to compare Lost Horizon with Alter Ego is a little harsh
Old 12-10-2010, 01:27 PM   #25
Schättenjager

Btw is Heavy Rain really an ag,that's subject of another topic.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:38 PM   #26
Schattenjäger

well, since this site reviews it as an adventure game, i think for the purposes of this forum that question is solved
Old 12-10-2010, 01:55 PM   #27
She Wants Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray pierce View Post
I think to compare Lost Horizon with Alter Ego is a little harsh
Nope, actually I liked Alter Ego better. Lost Horizon has incredibly boring and illogical middle chapters that really drag the game. I have no idea why so many people think it's amazing game. If the whole game was as good as the last chapter then I'd agree but I can't be won over by just one great chapter (and like 2 other goodish ones) no matter if it's the end. Alter Ego had good potential but it is just completely unfinished. If they actually let us play the ending there instead of hearing it out in 2 minute long cutscene it would have been excellent game.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:01 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Btw is Heavy Rain really an ag,that's subject of another topic.
It is an adventure game, even more than Fahrenheit was. I guess there's no doubt about it on this forum. And it's far better than most of the regular ags today.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:02 PM   #29

My vote goes to Heavy Rain. From that list I would choose Lost Horizon.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #30
Schattenjäger

i propose we do the following: we have 4 nomination threads, 1 at a time, each thread lasting 2-3 days before we close it and start the next. In those threads each person can nominate 2 games from that category: the categories being, 1. puzzlers: logic puzzles 2. inventory/social games: standard point and click 3. interactive novels/text games 4. miscellaneous: anything that hasnt already won a nomination.
The top 2 of each category can then move on to a final vote between 8 games that we have for a week or so ending with new years.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:22 PM   #31
UnseenUniversity Graduate

I haven't played most of those games, but I'd probably choose Shadow at Water's edge, the other 2010 Nancy Drew release. It was much better than Trail of the Twister IMHO.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:42 PM   #32
Awesome!

Just put Lost Horizon over the top.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:46 AM   #33
Schättenjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arial Type View Post
And it's far better than most of the regular ags today.
Technically thats obvious but it's still action based adventure anyway.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:10 AM   #34
Psychonaut

Still heads and shoulders above the rest of a massively disappointing year for adventures.

Not one of the games listed above would have been in contention in previous years.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:27 PM   #35

Since "Grey Matter" is considered as 2011 release, and "Monkey Island: Le Chuck's Revenge" isn't listed, I can easily say that "Lost Horizon" is my favourite among 2010 adventures.
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III
Old 12-13-2010, 11:49 PM   #36
Jumping peanut on a stick

My vote goes to The Whispered World. The only ag in last few years (along with Machinarioum) that I would consider a true classic. Characters, story (especially after you know the ending), atmosphere, puzzles, graphics.. it's just great.

The second best was in my opinion Black Mirror2.

The Lost Horizon was good too. Very polished and entertaining.. but not much else beyond that.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:27 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
wow that highlights exactly why this year sucked.

BTW Heavy Rain is by far and away the best AG of 2010.
I agree! I would vote if it were on the list.

I've bought a PS3 because of Heavy Rain.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:00 AM   #38

Heavy Rain is great and gripping game, but as said many times before - it's more of an interactive movie and an offpring to adventure game with emphasis on the story. Since interactive movies existed since early 90's it's nothing groundbreaking even it's a fantastic game.

So, while Gabriel Knight 2 for example is also a sort of interactive movie the reason why we call it adventure game and not interactive movie is because of many puzzles integrated into the story. I'm not saying Heavy Rain is without puzzles or that is not adventure game especially since AG and interactive-movies were always related and hard to separate, but i wouldn't give it an edge over other titles this year with more interesting puzzles, like The Whispered World or Black Mirror 2.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:43 AM   #39
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
Heavy Rain is great and gripping game, but as said many times before - it's more of an interactive movie and an offpring to adventure game with emphasis on the story. Since interactive movies existed since early 90's it's nothing groundbreaking even it's a fantastic game.

So, while Gabriel Knight 2 for example is also a sort of interactive movie the reason why we call it adventure game and not interactive movie is because of many puzzles integrated into the story.
That's stretching the definition of an interactive movie. GK2 is a series of stills with an avatar walking across the screen. An interactive movie MOVES, if you know what I mean. Non-stop. The Psychic Detective is an interactive movie, so is Tender Loving Care. Bad Day on the Midway and Fahrenheit too I suppose (because the game goes on if you don't do anything), and I might even consider calling The Last Express one. But by your definition every single adventure is an interactive movie with lots of stops so the player can solve puzzles.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:28 AM   #40

Yeap, you're right and i don't intend to argue with you because i'm scared of what you're capable of

But really, genre definition is "heavy". You know, i remember when Phantasmagoria was advertised as a whole new "interactive-movie" experience. In reality, even it was light on difficulty and with many in-game movies it was still more of a traditional adventure game experience than typical interactive movies like those you mentioned or even Quantic Dream works.

The reason why GK2 might be called "interactive-movie" to some extent is probably because of the fact that live-action FMV during the 90's was automatically recognized as "interactive-movie" experience. For example, Wing Commander 4

was also called interactive-movie while it's still more of a simulation/shooting game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
But by your definition every single adventure is an interactive movie with lots of stops so the player can solve puzzles
well, the thing is - maybe every adventure game has some elements of full-fledged interactive movie (and vice versa) but not enough and not in that way that we can actually call it an interactive movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
An interactive movie MOVES
i agree that "real-time" is a dead giveaway to distinguish interactive movie, but you can also have traditional gameplay without time restraints but with emphasis on choices, story branching... that will be more of an interactive movie than adventure game. Same as i would call The Last Express adventure game with extra-ordinary cinematic experience rather than interactive movie.