You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Tales of Monkey Island

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2009, 06:34 AM   #61
Schattenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin View Post
It ran fairly well one my low-spec laptop, with the graphics turned down to 2 That said it still looked good. I'm running it on my desktop at level 6, and it doesn't look a whole lot different really; maybe more anti-aliased, but nothing majorly different. Anything higher and performance is heavily affected though.
Good. Thanks for the reply. I am more relaxed now.

" I Can´t use these two Things Together"

Playing: Myst 4, So Blond, Memento Mori

Next in Line: The Black Mirror, Art of Murder: Cards of Destiny

Just Finished: Alter Ego, Art of Murder: Hunt for the Puppeteer, Chronicles of Mystery: The Tree of Life, Secret Files 2
Old 07-08-2009, 06:50 AM   #62
The Quiet One

No i don't think there's much difference either. I played around with it - switching from 9 to 1 - and there's only a slight visual improvement with the highest setting. For example, when Guybrush is talking to LeChuck at the start, Guybrush has this fuzzy quality when he's in the foreground because the main focus is on LeChuck.

I think the game still looks fine even when set to the lowest setting.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 07-08-2009, 06:56 AM   #63
Schattenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
No i don't think there's much difference either. I played around with it - switching from 9 to 1 - and there's only a slight visual improvement with the highest setting. For example, when Guybrush is talking to LeChuck at the start, Guybrush has this fuzzy quality when he's in the foreground because the main focus is on LeChuck.

I think the game still looks fine even when set to the lowest setting.
Thank God!

Just Finished: Alter Ego, Art of Murder: Hunt for the Puppeteer, Chronicles of Mystery: The Tree of Life, Secret Files 2
Old 07-08-2009, 07:31 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
... - switching from 9 to 1 -...
I hope you mean 6 to 1 because my copy of the game goes only to 6.

I had to set it to 3 (at 1680x1050) to make it run smoothly. I think it affects mostly the lighting. Some minor differences I noticed where some surfaces seemed more "shiny" (like guybrush's boots) and also I think that at the higher settings LeChuck's beard had some weird moving/glowing effect.

It's weird though because the graphics seem similar in quality with those of wallace and gromit which runs excellent on my system at maximum settings.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:39 AM   #65
Schattenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keregioz View Post
I hope you mean 6 to 1 because my copy of the game goes only to 6.

I had to set it to 3 (at 1680x1050) to make it run smoothly. I think it affects mostly the lighting. Some minor differences I noticed where some surfaces seemed more "shiny" (like guybrush's boots) and also I think that at the higher settings LeChuck's beard had some weird moving/glowing effect.

It's weird though because the graphics seem similar in quality with those of wallace and gromit which runs excellent on my system at maximum settings.
It seems to me that this game has a few bugs then that will eventually be corrected.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:18 AM   #66
Psychonaut

It definatly goes up to 9 in the graphic quality setting.

Maybe it depends on the PC.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:02 AM   #67
Adventure Dude =]

It goes to 9 just fine on my computer and my settings are 1680 x 1050. Then again my computer is wicked. It definitely depends on your PC. =]

Last Game Finished: Memento Mori, Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal

Games Recently Finished: Art of Murder - The Hunt for the Puppeteer, Secret Files 2, Still Life 2
Old 07-08-2009, 10:35 AM   #68
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno_Malta View Post
This graphic intensity that this episode seems to demand looks troubling to me. The early games (S&M) were pretty and were not that demanding.
I hope that Telltale fix that with a patch or improve this one the next episodes. I bought a notebook just to play Adventure games and since none of them are too demanding the hardware specs are not that high. I am worried with Tales tought...from what i read i will suffer to run this one with good graphics.
Any one can tell me how is the difference from high to low? I mean, is it that much different?
That is the point of the "Graphics Quality" slider in the graphics settings screen. If you dial it all the way down to between "1" - "3," it's about the same as playing Sam & Max with the "high quality" button turned off. The difference is that the lighting gets less detailed, there are no fancy after effects like glow and soft focus, etc, and less graphics smoothing, but the game still works well! And "4" - "6" is about the same as "high quality" in Sam & Max. "7" - "9" are modes which include the special fx stuff we started using in Wallace & Gromit (the aforementioned soft focus, glow, etc). The game tries to scale itself to your video card settings. It will inevitably be a little more demanding than Sam & Max or Wallace & Gromit, just because there is more going on in a scene than in Sam & Max -- we're trying to make the worlds alive instead of so static with lots of animation and details -- but they should be reasonably close for most people, if you adjust the settings.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 07-08-2009, 10:55 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
It definatly goes up to 9 in the graphic quality setting.

Maybe it depends on the PC.
I suspect it has to do with the graphics card then... maybe there's something like shader 3.0, or whatever else is called, in the settings 7-9 which isn't supported by my card.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:57 AM   #70
Schattenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
That is the point of the "Graphics Quality" slider in the graphics settings screen. If you dial it all the way down to between "1" - "3," it's about the same as playing Sam & Max with the "high quality" button turned off. The difference is that the lighting gets less detailed, there are no fancy after effects like glow and soft focus, etc, and less graphics smoothing, but the game still works well! And "4" - "6" is about the same as "high quality" in Sam & Max. "7" - "9" are modes which include the special fx stuff we started using in Wallace & Gromit (the aforementioned soft focus, glow, etc). The game tries to scale itself to your video card settings. It will inevitably be a little more demanding than Sam & Max or Wallace & Gromit, just because there is more going on in a scene than in Sam & Max -- we're trying to make the worlds alive instead of so static with lots of animation and details -- but they should be reasonably close for most people, if you adjust the settings.
Ok....got it. Thanks for the explanation and look foward to arriving at home and finally play it.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:04 PM   #71

The hint system is buggy. I have mine set to "never" and was told
Spoiler:
the markings on this weather vane sure look a lot like the ones on this pillar
. I didn't even get a chance to solve the puzzle on my own because it was given away instantly.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:31 PM   #72
Club a seal or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thello View Post
The hint system is buggy. I have mine set to "never" and was told
Spoiler:
the markings on this weather vane sure look a lot like the ones on this pillar
. I didn't even get a chance to solve the puzzle on my own because it was given away instantly.
I was told that too, but I'm guessing that it was supposed to - ie not part of the hint system.
Spoiler:
There's no real way to closely examine the weathervane in the game (using the magnifying glass on it only gets Guybrush to hold it up), so I couldn't have noticed the markings and would've been stuck if it weren't for that hint
Old 07-08-2009, 02:43 PM   #73

Yes, I got that too....probably not a bug. Still it would be better if they didn't made it so obvious.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
i love that you guys have provided high and low end graphics settings. that's the perfect way to do it. i'm planning on getting a new comp soon, so i'm looking forward to replaying these with higher graphics.

i highly recommend for anyone to lower the graphics settings until the animation is perfectly fast and smooth, though. it's well worth it. i was trying to play it on 6 and it was slow and arduous. when i slid it to 3, it was a joy to play and still looked great.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:33 PM   #75
Adventure Dude =]

I didn't want it to end. lol. Damn you Telltale, release the second episode already! =]

Looking at the credits I loved how they went...

Visiting professor of monkeyology : Ron Gilbert.

=]

Last Game Finished: Memento Mori, Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal

Games Recently Finished: Art of Murder - The Hunt for the Puppeteer, Secret Files 2, Still Life 2
Old 07-08-2009, 04:08 PM   #76
Welsh Dude

I've got mine at 9 and 1680 x 1050 also and it runs fine. However during the prologue it was a bit jittery and alarm bells rang but it then ran perfect from then on.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:26 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keregioz View Post
Yes, I got that too....probably not a bug. Still it would be better if they didn't made it so obvious.
If it's not a bug, it was such an extraordinarily obvious hint that it might as well have not been a puzzle in the first place. It's not the only bug either. If you use the bottle on the bottle opener without owning it, Guybrush will pull one that doesn't exist out of his jacket and use that.

I'm happy with the game, but I felt several things slipped through QA that shouldn't have.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #78
Adventure Dude =]

^

I think it was a bug to be honest. Hints were turned off and that was definately a hint. =[

Old 07-08-2009, 06:33 PM   #79

Quote:
I didn't want it to end. lol. Damn you Telltale, release the second episode already! =]
I'm suprised people have already finished, then again I'm only playing a little each day. I want it to last as long as possible before the second chapter is released. For a while I was stuck at the part where you have to pirate the ship, but I just figured it out. It was so simple too, I'm mad at myself for not figuring it out earlier... the game is awesome.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:11 PM   #80
Adventure Dude =]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzler View Post
I'm suprised people have already finished, then again I'm only playing a little each day. I want it to last as long as possible before the second chapter is released. For a while I was stuck at the part where you have to pirate the ship, but I just figured it out. It was so simple too, I'm mad at myself for not figuring it out earlier... the game is awesome.
I was enjoying it so much I didn't want to quit. Why punish myself? lol. =]