• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

syn

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Ron Gilbert Teases New Monkey Island

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I’d be more interested in seeing Ron Gilbert make a new Putt-Putt game.

Total Posts: 48

Joined 2012-11-12

PM

Can we please change the thread title, it’s very misleading

Bryan Singer is ‘teasing’ the new X-Men film that he’s shooting now-with a quick photo of Patrick Stewart and some hints about the plot. Guillermo Del Torro has been ‘teasing’ details of the dark comic book movie he’s developing with Warner Bros.
Ron Gilbert, on the other hand, states categorically that he is *dreaming* about what he would do IF he were to ever make a new Monkey Island. I could do the same thing, but it wouldn’t be as interesting.

The fact that one of the big requirements is that he’d have to own the IP (something Disney are very unlikely to do) indicates that this is just him speculating what he’d hypothetically want and need to make the game, rather than a list of demands for a potential kickstarter.

Similarly *if* I was going to direct a new Star Wars picture (I’m not), I’d want Gary Kurtz producing and Marcia Lucas editing. Series was never the same without them. Not gonna happen, but that’s that’s the only way I’d do it (though I am willing to negotiate). Point is I am not teasing.

The game he describes does sound wonderful though, and I would buy it in a heartbeat. This is the problem with dreaming-it’s almost always better than real life.
How can I look forward to Broken Age when I’m thinking of an imaginary Monkey Island 3a just out of reach?

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

The Monkey Island franchise has already been run into the ground with two shitty games (Tales and 4), so why not a new game from Gilbert? Sure, I prefer the third game to any other in the series, but even if Gilberts won’t be anything like it there’s a chance it won’t be as bad as either 4 or Tales - and if it does turn out as bad, then I’m already more or less over the franchise, so I wouldn’t really get disappointed at this point.

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 16 April 2013 08:19 AM

The Monkey Island franchise has already been run into the ground with two shitty games (Tales and 4), so why not a new game from Gilbert? Sure, I prefer the third game to any other in the series, but even if Gilberts won’t be anything like it there’s a chance it won’t be as bad as either 4 or Tales - and if it does turn out as bad, then I’m already more or less over the franchise, so I wouldn’t really get disappointed at this point.

I’m not so sure. Of course 4 was an utter car crash but I thought Tales was very good indeed, especially the last episode. They took that to a much darker level, and it was awesome.

I’m on a whole new adventure.
Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2004-01-25

PM

This I also think is the case, but if Gilbert were to raise enough (hypothetically) then they might let it go. I can’t see them thinking this is an asset that holds enough long term value for them.

I disagree with this sentiment. Disney know how to run a business, and know how to milk a good quality IP for all it’s worth. I can totally see a cartoon or 3D animated Monkey Island kids movie pulling in hundreds of millions… it’s perfect.

On the other hand… I can also genuinely see that there is that much interest, and that many people with that much interest, in specifically Ron Gilbert doing a new Monkey Island game that if he really wanted to, and really tried… he could probably pull the whole thing off.

How many millions could possibly want for the Monkey Island IP? I bet he would raise that, and more, in the first two days on Kickstarter. Grin

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I think that the only two IP’s from LucasArts that Disney is really interested in is Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

It might not be Disney’s style to sell off IP, but if the money is right they might be willing to sell off some of the IP they don’t actually care about, like monkey island.

Having said that then i also have to say that to me it sounds like Gilbert isn’t actually interested in making a new Monkey Island. That his whole post is just a “what if” dream. I mean why else should he write “I am not making another Monkey Island!”, if he just wanted to make sure that people understood that there are nothing concrete yet, then he could just have written that.

Or should i not take his words too literally, should i start to search his post for a hidden meaning or secret codes?

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Personally I don’t think it’s a franchise that’s worth millions, but then again I don’t know sales figures for the special editions or tales. Disney would obviously have those stats and could therefore name a price to sell/licence it out. Again this is essentially a hypothetical situation.

Again personal opinions being thrown about here but if he did do a kickstarter (after getting a figurative quote from disney for the licence) we’d know how much Disney think it is worth. It would do well though. Extremely well.

Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

The thing with Monkey Island is though that is relatively easy for Disney to use parts of it in the Pirates of the Caribbean series, lord knows the series have share of similarities given the grounds of same source of inspiration.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they’d decide to do a Piretes film subtitled “Secret of Monkey Island”. Or even an animated series based on them.

So no, I don’t see Disney selling any Lucas related licenses out from the company. Especially now that there has been loads of articles about how precious those old Lucas titles are for people.

Total Posts: 247

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

A.A - 16 April 2013 04:44 AM

I’m also quite appreciative of the fact Mr.Gilbert, like myself, appears far less enamored with the style of MI3 than a lot of people who fawn over it are.

Not I. I feel like Curse of Monkey Island was the BEST Monkey Island game (guess I’m fawning), and any desire to ignore it, or portray it in a negative light, would make me very wary about a new product.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

See, I’m not a fan of Curse of Monkey Island at all, it’s kind of cool to hear of others who feel the same.  I don’t think the art style is bad, per se, I just don’t feel it’s right.  So, yah, I’d be interested in Ron Gilbert’s Monkey Island 3….eh?

Bt

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

tomimt - 16 April 2013 10:54 AM

I wouldn’t be surprised if they’d decide to do a Piretes film subtitled “Secret of Monkey Island”. Or even an animated series based on them.

Well i would surprise me, but then i often get surprised.

The thing is that i can’t really see what monkey island could bring to the pirates series. There are already so many similarities between the two, that there is noting left in MI you can add to Pirates that isn’t already there.

And even if MI is a famous adventure game, then i doubt that any of the target audience for an animated series (read: kids) have ever heard of MI.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Mister Ed - 16 April 2013 10:57 AM

Not I. I feel like Curse of Monkey Island was the BEST Monkey Island game (guess I’m fawning), and any desire to ignore it, or portray it in a negative light, would make me very wary about a new product.

I too believe Curse is the best in the MI series.
But i don’t think it was Gilberts intention to belittle Curse or the later ones, that it was simply to state that he had nothing to do with them, and that he would pick up where Revenge ended.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Iznogood - 16 April 2013 11:03 AM

I wouldn’t be surprised if they’d decide to do a Pirates film subtitled “Secret of Monkey Island”.

The thing is that i can’t really see what monkey island could bring to the pirates series. There are already so many similarities between the two, that there is noting left in MI you can add to Pirates that isn’t already there.

Oh, come on.  This lazy argument again?

“Monkey Island is NO DIFFERENT from Disney’s Pirates of the Carribean!”

Really??  You mean aside from writing, tone, over-the-top anachronistic references, being a pure comedy, having a bumbling wimp of a protagonist, etc, etc, etc.

But you’re right in one thing—Monkey Island would not mesh well with Disney’s Pirates series.

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

There really isn’t any comparisons between POTC and Monkey island, except from the fact that they’re both about pirates… that’s it.

Some people just need to get over the fact that the monkey island movie ended up as POTC. Stop being so butthurt.

Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Lambonius - 16 April 2013 11:38 AM
Iznogood - 16 April 2013 11:03 AM

I wouldn’t be surprised if they’d decide to do a Pirates film subtitled “Secret of Monkey Island”.

Oh, come on.  This lazy argument again?

“Monkey Island is NO DIFFERENT from Disney’s Pirates of the Carribean!”

Really??  You mean aside from writing, tone, over-the-top anachronistic references, being a pure comedy, having a bumbling wimp of a protagonist, etc, etc, etc.

But you’re right in one thing—Monkey Island would not mesh well with Disney’s Pirates series.

I didn’t say NO DIFFERENT, that was you. I said enough similarities, which is entirely true, as they both have basis on same source material. Of course there are differences as well, but it was also mentioned some where, that the first Pirates movie has roots of an old Monkey Island movie script that Lucas was considering of doing at some point.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top