• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

High Number Of Views

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Bit of an odd one this and it’s not a complaint or anything - more an observation and being perplexed about what follows.

11 days ago I added another 3 tracks (Jane Siberry ones) to the 3 In The Moment thread in Chit Chat. In that time the thread has hit nearly 12,000 extra views which is astonishing if it is an accurate count. I can’t see how it can’t be accurate but I’m struggling to understand why.
Does the site keep any sort of record as to overall visitor numbers in any sort of way? There’s probably something so that advertising can be attracted.

Obviously it’s no sort of problem but I’m definitely intrigued   Smile

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

The traffic we get from Google shouldn’t be underestimated, especially when there’s something happening that has high relevancy on search traffic we immediately rank quite high, so I’d expect that to be the reason.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Fair point CaliMonk (and I was unaware of the linkage via Google) but I still find it odd. Where “obscure” music is involved I tend to see how much interest has been generated via the view count, that’s all offerings not just my own, and this one Jane Siberry post has gone through the roof as it were (over 15,000 now in 14 days) which is way, way, higher than anything that’s gone before that I’ve noticed. Jane Siberry has always been a well respected artiste but always niche so I doubt that she’s the actual reason.
I just find it remarkably odd but I doubt that anything solid will materialise but if it helps viewing figures for advertising purposes - current ad partner problems notwithstanding - then useful for AG’s potential revenue streams. Once I see the views dropping, as they must, I might try to find another 3 songs specifically to see what happens.
I always get interested in things like this. Could be why I like Adventure Games or it could just be that I’m weird Tongue

Life is what it is.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Having had this running in the back of my mind for a short while I don’t see how any Google link would impact that particular Forum let alone one specific thread within that Forum Confused
I’ve just checked the view count for each of those 3 tracks on YouTube and, in order, they are 16k in 17 years, 1.5k in 5 years and 27k in 8 years so hardly influenced by my posting links here.
As I’ve said it’s nothing to worry about but it’s going to nag away at me which says something about how my mind works I suppose Sarcastic

Life is what it is.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Carrying on thinking about this I’ve had something of an idea.
Since the count is still rising far more than it has any natural right to I’m wondering if the departed VP hasn’t posted links here there and everywhere or has a script running to boost views. It was his brainchild after all and he did take something of a paternal attitude towards it. I don’t mean this in any insulting way whatsoever and, naturally, I could be completely off base.
Still intrigues me Smile

Life is what it is.

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

I see what you’re saying, quite a weird number of views. Checking in Google Webmaster tools there’s nothing special about that URL, nor does it really get any mentionable traffic from Google.

In our Cloud provider dashboard, I see about 20 unique visits in the last few days on that post, nothing that matches the actual ‘views’ it’s displaying, so something is certainly odd.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Just done a quick bit of maths comparing daily views prior to my Jane Siberry post and after.

Before:
235,620 views in 957 days = 236 views per day

After:
30,018 views in 20 days = 1,500 views per day.

Someone, somewhere, is playing silly buggers methinks Smile

Life is what it is.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

And in the 2 days since I posted that there’s been another 7,000 views!
Question for CaliMonk. Would that number of views impact on server load? If so I’ve had a nagging worry that someone might be testing for a DDoS attack.
That’s probably somewhat paranoid but, after all, my mind is predisposed to Adventure Games and the scenarios that they portray Sarcastic

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Jabod - 12 December 2023 09:59 AM

And in the 2 days since I posted that there’s been another 7,000 views!
Question for CaliMonk. Would that number of views impact on server load? If so I’ve had a nagging worry that someone might be testing for a DDoS attack.
That’s probably somewhat paranoid but, after all, my mind is predisposed to Adventure Games and the scenarios that they portray Sarcastic

I’ve been finding it difficult to connect to the site recently, and my browser tells me the issue is with the site and not me. Not sure if that would have anything to do with server load, just thought it was worth mentioning.

AKA Charo

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

You’re right, this would indeed influence things.

Today we had quite a large attack from a range of IPs and it took me quite a bit of time to get everything properly blocked. I -think- everything is under control again now.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Just as an update:

From when I got back on after the problems and white page on the 18th to now there has still been over 3,000 “views” to that music thread (3,308 to be precise at the time of writing) so something weird is still happening there.

I don’t know if the software allows it CaliMonk but I’m quite happy for you to delete that Jane Siberry post of mine to see what happens. I can always reinstate it some time afterwards as a counter check if needed.

Life is what it is.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top