• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #79: Return to Mysterious Island

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Karlok - 29 July 2023 07:19 AM

I have replayed some parts countless times already and still enjoy discovering new inventory combinations. I tried combining my new friend with every object and found some amazing combinations. What’s Jep going to do with clay?? He certainly didn’t feel like making me some fancy pottery. And he doesn’t enjoy being washed with soap, but that one got me 3 points.I’m sure I have still missed stuff but I’ve reached Granite House and here’s my score: 162 points with 45 objects in my inventory, including the ones that can be dismantled. I have done lots of things that can be done later, so my score doesn’t really mean much. Like making a bow and arrows, baking a cake (I remembered that one from my first playthrough), putting the snake in the cage, etc.

Wow 162 points is quite a feat, great job! Does that include picking up any stuff at the Granite House, or is that all from the jungle? I managed to get 141 points. I did not capture the snake at first(tried the cage on the snake without holding it down with a fork, so that didn’t work), and I also was missing an ingredient for the pie(wheat). I did try Jep on clay after you suggested it, so wonder what he’s going to do with that.Smile Question regarding the arrows in the bow and arrow. I have combined bamboo shoots and quills but I am missing one more ingredient. I tried everything in my inventory with it, but none worked. What’s the third ingredient?

If I have one small complaint, it is that some items are really hard to find as they blend into the background and don’t stand out. But so far, I am remembering why I loved the game so much the first time I played it.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

SoccerDude - 30 July 2023 03:21 PM

Wow 162 points is quite a feat, great job! Does that include picking up any stuff at the Granite House, or is that all from the jungle?

Jungle only. But like I said, I did stuff you can do later just as well. I used the info from the encyclopedia: making soap, a candle, pure sugar. I washed all 4 pieces of cloth bc you get 1 point each. And I stumbled upon one combination I’m sure I have never seen before, which earned me 6 points.

Question regarding the arrows in the bow and arrow. I have combined bamboo shoots and quills but I am missing one more ingredient. I tried everything in my inventory with it, but none worked. What’s the third ingredient?

Feathers. Smile

@DCast: I have tried every object I found or made in the jungle on the soot and no dice. Maybe later…?

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Diego…?

Total Posts: 6595

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Yes I’m here, my dear Karlok. Thanks for helping the other players and being active in the thread. Heart I will start the third act tomorrow, I want to give rtrooney and SoccerDude time to catch up. I will also replay the second Act today and give some thoughts, but anyway I liked the first part better than when I played the game previously, and I suspect it will get only better.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I will be starting episode 2 today. With luck I hope to get through it by Thursday. Will keep you informed of progress.

Don’t wait on my account. I will complete the game. It will just take me longer.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Karlok - 30 July 2023 07:15 PM

Jungle only. But like I said, I did stuff you can do later just as well. I used the info from the encyclopedia: making soap, a candle, pure sugar. I washed all 4 pieces of cloth bc you get 1 point each. And I stumbled upon one combination I’m sure I have never seen before, which earned me 6 points.

Okay, I got 149 points with the bow and arrow and a few items I missed. I used jep on the coconut tree to get the remaining coconut there. I also noticed if I cracked the coconut with the rock rather than cut it properly with a knife, I get one point for ruining good food. Meh

I guess this is the best I am getting for now, so I’m ready for the next part.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Ah, I definitely played on a little bit too far then by burying Nemo and looting granite house last time as I’ve got 172 points.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Act 3: Granite House 1860

1. Entrance
2. Tunnel
3. Shelves 1
4. The cannon
5. Shelves 2
6. Fireplace
7. Corridor 1
8. Corridor 2
9. Passage

Ok, so we reached the Granite House. Plenty of interesting stuff to do here. This part is shorter than the previous one, so I’ll give you 4 days to climb aboard the Nautilus!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1274

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Hi!

I forgot to say I finally reached the Granite House. I also repaired a bridge that was broken. Is it important to explore beyond that bridge at this point?

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Of course you can (and need) to explore outside of Granite House, but stop once you make aboard Nautilus.

Total Posts: 518

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Alright; I’ve boarded the Nautilus.

This part was fun, with a bit of excitement and light action. We face some new challenges in the form of logical puzzles in addition to all the inventory based ones. They felt a bit out of place I think and weren’t that great. I managed to find the logic behind the code for opening the robot pretty quickly but must admit I solved the laser puzzle more or less by chance, just fiddling around with it. Took me quite a while to solve the puzzle for unlocking Nautilus but I could have sworn I had already tried the right approach once before finally getting all the green lights.

I found it a bit strange that Mina couldn’t use the candle to reach the dark corners and the passage from the cave but that the tiny candle could suddenly light up everything when she entered through the opening by the lake. Go figure.

I also found it a bit strange that I could use the battery originally used to get the phone working on those lanterns and even dismantle the battery if I wanted (and perhaps I will need to later?). I figured the battery was attached to the phone, but the phone works just fine after dismantling the battery. For the record, I have managed to create another battery, so now I have two in inventory.

I was irritated for a while for not being able to dismantle the projector to use the light source with the diving suit instead. But that was of course before realizing I had another “broken” lantern in the inventory… My bad, but still a bit strange I think.

Anyway; having fun with this game and I’m ready to continue as soon we get the next go-ahead! I’m currently playing Syberia 4 for the first time in parallel so no real hurry on my account.

I’m not really chasing a maximum score but I have 263 points. I have definitely put together stuff that will obviously be needed later on in the game, such as a kite.

Total Posts: 1274

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I will play a lot this long weekend we have in Colombia.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I will catch up at some point but I’m having to deal with a few stressful things. Meanwhile my aim is to relax as & when by getting along in this playthrough!  Smile  Don’t wait for me.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I agree with you, Veovis, that strange combinations of objects with strange results are needed in this game. I knew from my first playthrough that I had to suspend an enormous amount of disbelief, so I thought I would be fine with the unrealistic aspects. But I’m not really. Example: Mina doesn’t need a ladder to reach the wing high above her and repair the windmill. Worst of all is Jep. He can’t be a monkey, Jep is a little human who identifies as a monkey! (That’s probably the reason he got into a fight with the other monkeys. Innocent) He trusts Mina just like that and can do anything, you just hand him a rope ladder and he realizes that he should attach it to the cave entrance and tie knots that will be strong enough to carry Mina’s weight.

That doesn’t stop me from enjoying the game. Cool I liked the new puzzles and I don’t mind action elements when they’re pretty easy and the game instantly revives you.

Total Posts: 518

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Yes @Karlok, agree that suspension of disbelief is really needed in this game, both when it comes to the story and the result of some item combinations. Best viewed and enjoyed as a light-hearted matinée kind of adventure game I guess. Not to be taken too seriously.

Part of the reason I replay this after all these years is because I never got around to plating the follow-up, Mina’s Fate. Will be interesting to see if that has the same tone.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top