• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #79: Return to Mysterious Island

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Hi!

Sorry for being so delayed, I had a “multiple kittens rescue” situation that ate up the last 3 days of my time, so I just managed to get back to the game.

1. I have played this game before (but not the sequel),and I remember liking it. That’s all I remember though, well, that and a few locations, so even the inventory system was a bit of a surprise. It’s all coming back, slowly.

2. I’ve read almost all Jules Verne, but I’ve decided to give it a re-read in a different language. So far I really enjoy it, although it would be really cool to read it in French (studying of which I keep picking up and dropping). One day…

3. I really like what I’ve seen so far! I actually expected NOT to like inventory system after reading everyone’s descriptions of it because I don’t usually like over-bloated inventories, and the possibility of tons of combinations makes me feel slightly frustrated in advance, since I know my brain will absolutely HAVE TO find them all (same goes for multiple endings, branching dialogues and all that crap - but I’m working on it, working on not getting hung up on those and be satisfied with not exploring every single option). But… I really enjoyed it surprisingly! Everything was very intuitive, there are several ways to make things happen and there was just enough items to have fun with without feeling overwhelmed.

4. I had no troubles in this section since it’s relatively small, straight-forward and mostly depends on observation. I did lose some food and had to do several passes over the same spots, but in general - I feel like right after finding something, I knew where to use it. Question: I feel like the only thing I didn’t interact with at the first location is soot. Did I miss something or will I need it later?

5. How did you guys learn about points? Is that a manual thing?

6. Love the drawings and the score as well. Although, I actually like AI rendering of Mina, even though it does make her lose a bit of personality. I feel like she has raccoon-like dark circles around her eyes that make her look sick in the OG version. Somewhere in the middle between a slightly awkward original and way too polished AI version would be great, but that’s just way too nerdy to talk about   Nerd

I’m planning to play the next section right away.

I hope you’ll get back to normal in no time, rtrooney!

Total Posts: 6595

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Take your time rtrooney. I hope playing this game speeds up your recovery. We’re not in a hurry.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 520

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Finally finished Firmament and have begun playing RtMI. I’ve played it once before, around the time of release, but don’t remember much of it apart from inventory management being kind of a key gameplay element. I’m in the process of getting full and proceeding further than the beach and will hopefully be able to catch up pretty soon. I already like the light-hearted tone of the game. Mina is a likeable character, even though she doesn’t think twice about scavenging birds nests etc. for food. Wouldn’t the turtle and bird eggs be fertilized though? I wouldn’t want to eat those in real life…

The game looks really good and seems to play well on my PC. I play the GOG version but I have a physical copy of the game in storage somewhere.

rtrooney - 24 July 2023 09:23 PM

A few people know so I might as well tell everyone. I had a stroke in mid-May. Fortunately I was in the hospital for something else when it happened. It was mild as strokes go. No paralysis nor major loss of motor skills. However I still need rehab, which I take twice a week. My timetable for the game is more like one episode every two weeks. I will continue playing and contributing. But I will do so in a less that timely fashion.

Sorry to hear about your health issues but hope you recover swiftly!

Total Posts: 1274

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I hope you recover ok, rtrooney!

I started playing this part 2 but as I got back to work after holidays, I won’t be able to continue and hopefully finish part 2 until Friday.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 520

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I’m already at the second checkpoint (Granite House) and eager to continue!:) Have to say I enjoy this game more than I remember doing the first time around. It’s fun!

One thing: I kind of happened to make a battery for the phone while experimenting with item combinations in the inventory. This is a bit of a catch 22 moment isn’t it? Having the encyclopedia explaining possible uses for inventory items would have helped in putting together the battery but you need the battery to use the encyclopedia. I would never have guessed those items would create me a battery. Pure trial & error + luck. Did I miss something here?

Total Posts: 7452

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Rtrooney, hope you’re okay, let us know how you’re doing!

@veovis: No, you didn’t miss anything. In Granite House you will find documents that tell you how to make a battery in 2 different ways, but you already have the necessary ingredients to make one of the batteries. I did the same thing btw, just combining items, which is so much fun.

Story about good. Story about bad. - The Neverhood

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Hope you make a full recovery soon rtrooney.

OK, I have reached the stopping point, although I may have played on a little bit because I didn’t realise I was at Granite House at first! Were we meant to get Captain Nemo buried too? I did it anyway and poked around a fair bit before I happened to notice the ‘Granite House’ sign above the door. For some reason I was expecting it to be near the volcano.

My biggest impression from this section is that the sheer amount of inventory pretty much blew my mind. Just trying to work out what everything is as I collected/slashed/stole left, right and centre was quite a piece of work! However, I played this section in several short bursts, which I think really helped this time. I’m pretty sure it was somewhere here that I gave up last time, at least I didn’t remember Captain Nemo at all.

Otherwise, this section felt a lot more involved that the first one. Lots of ground to cover with more ‘puzzle-y’ type situations, even if the health bar made a return under different circumstances.

I’m enjoying it though and looking forward to getting on. Smile

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I managed to get a knife and cut the vine on the scaffolding. I also got two feathers from the upper cliff. (Why the forked branch worked now and not earlier is beyond me.) Wasted one coconut trying to get it open. Opened the other two using a different tool. Ate two crabs and the two coconuts. Think I’m one good meal away from moving the scaffold log. I’m working on a fishing rod. The rope from the coconut and the forked branch are two parts. Looking for the other two.

@Karlok - I’m 80-90% back to normal. I’m walking and driving my car. Playing guitar is OK. But while I know the chords and all the fingering, I need to find a new neural pathway to that thing called rhythm. Need to practice until it reappears.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Sorry I didn’t join earlier. I caught covid and I have been recovering. This strain of the virus is so virulent, my wife’s co-worker infected her, and almost everyone she came in contact with. Anyway I have been playing catch up, and I have reached the second stopping point. Mina’s voice actress is the same as Syberia’s Kate Walker, right? I love the inventory system in this game, and especially the multiple ways of achieving your objective. And I agree with you Karlok. I am having a fun time trying to rack up the high score. I keep saving, reloading to see if there is an alternate way to solve a puzzle that will yield higher points.

I have never read “The Mysterious Island” before, but I have heard about captain Nemo who was a character in “The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen” movie based on the comic by Alan Moore.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

rtrooney - 24 July 2023 09:23 PM

A few people know so I might as well tell everyone. I had a stroke in mid-May. Fortunately I was in the hospital for something else when it happened. It was mild as strokes go. No paralysis nor major loss of motor skills. However I still need rehab, which I take twice a week. My timetable for the game is more like one episode every two weeks. I will continue playing and contributing. But I will do so in a less that timely fashion.

I’m so sorry about that rtrooney. I pray you keep getting better and you fully recover.

Total Posts: 2079

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Get well soon, rtrooney and SoccerDude!

The game is very loosely based on the original novel at first, but at some point (around halfway through I think) it will provide more insight into Jules Verne’s writings and more links between the actions of the previous expedition and puzzles solved by Mina.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1274

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I keep playing. I found Jep, and I cured him. I guess I still have to find the granite house…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 7452

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

rtrooney - 27 July 2023 05:05 PM

@Karlok - I’m 80-90% back to normal. I’m walking and driving my car. Playing guitar is OK. But while I know the chords and all the fingering, I need to find a new neural pathway to that thing called rhythm. Need to practice until it reappears.

That sounds quite good!

SoccerDude - 27 July 2023 06:46 PM

Sorry I didn’t join earlier. I caught covid and I have been recovering. This strain of the virus is so virulent, my wife’s co-worker infected her, and almost everyone she came in contact with. Anyway I have been playing catch up, and I have reached the second stopping point. Mina’s voice actress is the same as Syberia’s Kate Walker, right?

Yes. I didn’t recognize her voice but it’s Sharon Mann.

I love the inventory system in this game, and especially the multiple ways of achieving your objective. And I agree with you Karlok. I am having a fun time trying to rack up the high score. I keep saving, reloading to see if there is an alternate way to solve a puzzle that will yield higher points.

I have replayed some parts countless times already and still enjoy discovering new inventory combinations. I tried combining my new friend with every object and found some amazing combinations. What’s Jep going to do with clay?? He certainly didn’t feel like making me some fancy pottery. And he doesn’t enjoy being washed with soap, but that one got me 3 points.I’m sure I have still missed stuff but I’ve reached Granite House and here’s my score: 162 points with 45 objects in my inventory, including the ones that can be dismantled. I have done lots of things that can be done later, so my score doesn’t really mean much. Like making a bow and arrows, baking a cake (I remembered that one from my first playthrough), putting the snake in the cage, etc.

I’d advise everyone who hasn’t played the game before to make a battery as soon as possible because you get access to very useful information on your inventory objects.

I have never read “The Mysterious Island” before, but I have heard about captain Nemo who was a character in “The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen” movie based on the comic by Alan Moore.

I have bought Verne’s 20,000 Leagues under the Sea an will start reading this weekend. Smile

@DCast: I haven’t found a use for the soot either.

Story about good. Story about bad. - The Neverhood

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I made it to the second part and decided to rest for a bit. I missed the part about a trunk. If somebody mentioned it, I didn’t see it. The two eggs didn’t quite fill me up. I just threw everything on the fire till something stuck. Who knew acacia thorns would curl in the heat but porcupine quills won’t? The fish was apparently enough to sate my appetite, as I was able to move the scaffolding.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

At the stopping point!

I thought I’d look around before stopping and promptly ended up with 35274829 inventory items, after which I got really close to what I can imagine being a panic attack and logged out. Grin

Then I reconsidered and logged back in because I know, I JUST KNOW, I won’t be able to move on until I try out every inventory combination possible, so that’s where I’m at now - technically at the stopping point, but on occasion -  log in and try some item combos before logging out, waiting for the word to move on. I’m almost done with all I can do/have in my inventory. I have lots of “starting combinations” with question mark in them now, so I’m kinda happy we stopped there, and I got a chance to tinker.

I’m really enjoying this still, it’s just this crazy “item dump” at the Granite House overwhelmed me a bit. I feel like before that we had only a few items at a time, and here we got a motherload.

I didn’t recognize the voice actress!! And I love Kate Walker. Maybe I’m due Syberia replay, especially considering that I didn’t play part 4 - didn’t want to start it without refreshing memories by going over old games.

I thought this was the most bizarre way to name Jep. She just started saying short words that starts with J out loud lol. I have no idea what’s the motivation behind it, unless I’ve missed something from a book that I’ve read a loong time ago.

Minor nitpick - some items are really hard to make out on the rocky background, especially in the Granite House. I ended up scouring shelving inch by inch, and I found something new first 3 times or so. Still have this feeling I might be missing something.

@Karlok
- Let’s keep this going, if you don’t mind. I went down there with all my spanking new inventory and still haven’t found anything that can be used with soot. Let me know if you’ll get there first!

I’m under impression that we can end up never combining some items and be just fine, especially food, since some sources seem to be finite.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top