• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Dreamfall: Chapters

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

usually don’t like the touchscreen interface for controller optimized games. (at least to this point) You get this virtual controller on screen that simply does not work as well as the real thing. Obviously I haven’t seen how Chapters will work….

ALL the adventure games I have on the ipad mini - (72 so far) use the touch screen interface - NO VIRTUAL CONTROLLER. You touch the screen anywhere and the character goes there or an action happens - it is wonderful and why I play these games.

Now - the Shield gaming tablet uses an actual gamepad hooked up as the controller. If you must use a physical controller and want a tablet for gaming - get this.

Lastly - consoles can and do amazing things in games with spartan hardware specs because they don’t have to write the game for 12 different graphics cards, or 10 different CPUs and have to use the computer’s operating system and supporting software. They can optimize the code for the ipad/iphone’s hardware.

ALL the PC ports I’ve played on the ipad have been great games. I am sure DC will be another one.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

tomimt - 02 December 2014 10:40 AM

They do need to do far more with Chapters though, than just adjust lights. Most likely they need to reduce the quality of the models as well as make the textures much lower resolution.

texture resolution won’t impact performance, just the memory requirement. Reducing the density of NPCs would probably help.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Considering mobile devices have very limited amount of graphics memory, the current texture sizes Chapters use would be a huge hit on the games performance in any mobile platform. Graphically speaking there is no way they could port the current version to a mobile device as it is. And they need to compress it quite a bit in any case, thanks to relatively small storage spaces in mobile devices.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

My ipad has 128 GB of storage. I own several games that on consoles were wonderful and on the PC not so and reviews reflected this. In 1994, Wing Commander 3 was an amazing game on the 3DO - but the PC version didn’t hold a candle to it. And in 2011, LA Noire was stunning on the PS3, on the PC this game was not so great. And these consoles specs looked pretty spartan on paper.

So, I’ve learned to be open minded on PC ports to dedicated hardware systems. 

The latest ipad is getting some pretty rave reviews also:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/192628-the-ipad-air-2-with-a-tri-core-cpu-is-almost-as-fast-as-a-modern-pc

So, needless to say, Dreamfall Chapters is a day one buy on the ipad for me and I’m sure it’s performance will be on par with the rest of the games I own on the system.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

The issue is not as much the CPU. Mobile CPU’s have been pretty damn good for a good while now. The main bottleneck in any mobile platform is the amount of dedicated memory you have at your disposal, as that limits how much you can load stuff before hand and how much you need to juggle with textures etc. in order to make the game run smoother.

DC as it is now is quite a resource hog. It has severe difficulties in running in machines with less than 4 gigs of memory. It also still has some issues in machines with pretty damn good GPU’s. The main issue behind that is the Unity engine itself, which while flixible, has never been an engine with superior performance.

Now, the things may change with Unity 5 though and I assume that RT games will do the mobile ports with that after they get DC fully out.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Episode 2 release - 10th March

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 19 February 2015 01:06 PM

Pretty slow pace, hope the series end by the end of the year.

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

And maybe it won`t be needing three patches to run decently…

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

nomadsoul - 19 February 2015 05:06 PM
wilco - 19 February 2015 01:06 PM

Pretty slow pace, hope the series end by the end of the year.

They did say, though, that Episode three is well underway already and they expect it to be released faster than #2.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’d suspect they’ll get them out in speedier manner now. They had to spent a lot of extra effor in optimizing the first book, so now that they know the loops they need to jump through with the upcoming chapters that’s bound to shed some time off the development time.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

As far as I know, they are also still planning of finishing the whole thing before November this year.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

They posted some screenshots in the kickstarter update. Episode 2 is looking very promising! Trailer should look good.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Trailer for Ep 2

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Lucien21 - 24 February 2015 04:00 PM

Trailer for Ep 2

Heart  Heart  Heart

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

It looks like this book will have more action, which should please those who thought nothing happened in the first book.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top