• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Mystery Game X - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, 20th Anniversary Edition

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Cesar - I feel sorry for your team but you really should not act as if you’re doing a noble service to the adventure fans.

This isn’t about budgets. No one blames Phoenix for not being able to afford the likes of Tim Curry and Mark Hamill. The criticism comes from some very poor artistic choices, which were not artistic choices at all and seem to have been made to attract “The Sims” fans to sell more copies. When you turn a classic into a “mass appeal” product you are not doing a favor to anyone. Sorry if that’s rude but I’m not going to be thankful for someone remaking the Sphinx in lego, no matter how long it took them and how low their budget was.

The idea that we should shut up because “it’s good for the scene” is ludicrous. Fair criticism can only help you, unless you’re only in it for the $$$. Did you think about whether you could have, perhaps, refused the job because you believed remaking GK on such a small budget would (as you say) destroy it?

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2004-03-05

PM

Destroy it? Did you guys actually play the game? It’s great! AND it is our key to Gabriel Knight 4.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

I haven’t played it, but that’s what Cesar believes. That the budget was too low.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Zifnab - 17 October 2014 03:15 AM

...very poor artistic choices, which were not artistic choices at all and seem to have been made to attract “The Sims” fans…

...you could have, perhaps, refused the job…

...Fair criticism…

Tell me more about fair criticism.

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2014-10-17

PM

Wow… as i say this i’m bumming myself out
I know this is just a game but as i played this yesterday at my friends place
i sayed outloud: “thank god i didn’t buy this game.”
There are so many things that just didn’t feel right
The game didn’t trigger any kind of smell while the old version did very strongly.
and the voice! oh by god gabriel voice was just awful!
I forced myself to play just a few more seconds before i left the game.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

NinjaQuest - 17 October 2014 03:42 AM

The game didn’t trigger any kind of smell while the old version did very strongly.

I’m genuinely curious what you mean by this.  No trolling, I promise.  Smile

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2005-04-18

PM

I’ve always welcomed positive criticism. We always go through pages and pages of criticism, listen to the community and act upon it. But positive criticism is very different to a lot of the comments in this thread.

Artistic choices are artistic choices. Some will like them and some will not. But because you don’t like something you don’t have to assume that it was made with $$$ in mind. Jane was really passionate about the artistic choice we went to. I would have personally preferred the look of the cutscenes throughout the whole game. But if I was on the side of the gamers, I would have never voiced hate towards the game for it. I tend to try to look at the positives of something before I look at the negatives as a rule of thumbs, in respect for the hard work of whoever made it. At the end of the day, whoever called for a decision was passionate for it and that’s what really matters.

No, we are not making a favor to the community. I am not talking for Phoenix Online only but in general the comments that I read here about most every other game seem like I just walked into a battlefield against adventure games and not in pro of them. You *don’t* have to like every game out there, but there’s a difference between voicing positive criticism and bashing games just for the fun of it.

Finally, we tried to open the door to more GK games being made. This was a perfect opportunity to do so. I was aware of the responsibilities behind it, and it’s because of projects like these and the fan projects that preceded it, that we are seeing the recently announced relaunch of Sierra. Which is why I’m saying Rome wasn’t built in one day. But the new Sierra is just not about Adventure Games. It’s their indie label. Don’t drive them away from adventure games after all the efforts to get them to listen. That’s all I’m saying.

Total Posts: 232

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

The criticism comes from some very poor artistic choices, which were not artistic choices at all and seem to have been made to attract “The Sims” fans to sell more copies.

Dude, if you think your critique is somehow helping, please consider not being so helpful.

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2006-08-27

PM

Proud of you César, whoever doesn’t understand it now, never will.. and so be it. Thumbs Up
I’m glad the game is leaning towards good reviews ‘all over the internet’. This community is afterall only peanuts.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

cesarbittar - 17 October 2014 02:35 AM

they are not industry veterans but really passionate kids that are learning every step of the way.

And here’s the crux of your problem, which was also evident with Moebius. Your team, while enthustiastic, just plain lacks the skillsets to do the games they want to do. In other words, your team is doing entirely wrong games in the skill levele they are now. This kind of tuning of skills should be done with projects that are far smaller in scale as now it is a bit too obvious that these two big projects have been way too above your heads.

People really don’t care that you, or anyone in your team, are enthustiastic adventure fans. In the end what people care is a product that looks like it was done by people who know what they’re doing, even if they really would’t.

We could talk a lot about how it is unfair, as I know it is. But at the same time people have done far better games than you’ve done with much smaller budgets mainly because they’ve had the right people doing the right things. That also counts for a lot.

I don’t want to be overly negative though, as it is evident that your team is getting more skilled by the each game they do. And that is a good thing. It’s just pains me a bit that has happened in the expense of Jane Jensen.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Head-desk.

Bt

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2005-04-18

PM

tomimt - 17 October 2014 03:52 AM

I don’t want to be overly negative though, as it is evident that your team is getting more skilled by the each game they do. And that is a good thing. It’s just pains me a bit that has happened in the expense of Jane Jensen.

Sadly, no team of veterans would have made Moebius for 430k. Are you saying then Jane should not have made her game at all? Or chose to make a 1-2 hours experience?

Do you begin then to see the problem?

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2014-10-17

PM

Lambonius - 17 October 2014 03:45 AM
NinjaQuest - 17 October 2014 03:42 AM

I’m genuinely curious what you mean by this.  No trolling, I promise.  Smile

Lol, sometimes games trigger my sense of smell or memory of a smell
With gabriel knight it was the smell of dust and pepper
With The evil within my latest game it was the smell of rain Grin

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

tomimt - 17 October 2014 03:52 AM

...this has happened at the expense of Jane Jensen.

Yeah, she totally should have chosen one of the hundred other studios that was lining up to work with her.  She also shouldn’t have allowed Pheonix to agree to her artistic decisions or plot & puzzle changes.  Poor, poor Jane.

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2006-08-27

PM

@ADMIN:

I have unsubscribed from this thread 5 times now.  I keep getting mails.
What am I doing wrong? Meh

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top