• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Mystery Game X - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, 20th Anniversary Edition

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

No idea.  I’ve just seen a few cryptic posts and tweets here and there that suggest that such a thing may be in the works.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

So far iv had 2 dead-ends that the remake created. One which required me to reload and re-do a whole day. Also they left in the mind boggling blunder from beta of Sam buys a newspaper ad to have people come bother him when hes retired at a bar playing chess

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Maybe he had JUST started his retirement.  Wink

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Lambonius - 15 October 2014 09:58 PM

Maybe he had JUST started his retirement.  Wink

the ad is to come see him at the napoleon house! Wink
Somebody wrote that while asleep.
It doesnt make sense any way you spin it.
Its the sort of oversight/inconsistency a remake should be fixing, not creating.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Lambonius - 15 October 2014 09:46 PM

No idea.  I’ve just seen a few cryptic posts and tweets here and there that suggest that such a thing may be in the works.

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I’m on day 8 now. Played it hard last night.

At first I wasn’t sold on it, I was being overly critical. I was noticing every time a characters toe clipped through the scenery, or whenever there was an odd animation because I’d asked Gabriel to walk here then in the opposite direction.

Now I’ve had a night to sleep on it, I’m excited to play it again.Yes the whole thing about Sam is disjointed, and yes the way you get $20 at the cemetery is borderline crazy, but it’s GK, and he’s back

That’s all that matters to me.

Plus the comic style cutscences are out of the park good. Really, REALLY impressive.

I’m on a whole new adventure.
Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’ve been reading that a lot, that the comic book cutscenes are the most succesfull thing in the game. Even most of those reviews that hate the game admit as much, that the comic book style works well, even going as far as to say that the whole game should have been done in such a style.

What I’ve read the reviews it does look like GK isn’t getting the same treatment Moebius did and is having a median of 6-7, which ain’t bad. I think I’m gonna get this at some point when the sales price is right.

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2006-08-27

PM

32 posts since about 1997? *snickers*

TimovieMan - 15 October 2014 06:55 PM
Nico Sels - 15 October 2014 05:29 PM

funny thing.. I’m stuck on ‘member status’ with 4 posts.. while I have been here since day 1 from adventuregamers.. o_O

oh wow.. I just got “5” posts

The site started using different software over two years ago, so the forums got reset.

You can find your 32 old posts in the archives... Wink

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

tomimt - 16 October 2014 02:59 AM

What I’ve read the reviews it does look like GK isn’t getting the same treatment Moebius did and is having a median of 6-7, which ain’t bad. I think I’m gonna get this at some point when the sales price is right.

This is no comment on the new GK as I haven’t played it.

However I am becoming more and more depressed about the perception of value for adventure games these days.

$20 (£12.50) for virtualy any game is an absolute bargain, the average price for a video game is about $48 (£30) with most console games and big releases being $50-$60. Getting an adventure game for $20 is like robbery, GK1 when it first came out was about $40-50.

Adventure games are now relegated to bargain basement prices, so are stuck in a depressing spiral of low budget releases.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2006-08-27

PM

True.. and then you read quotes like “when the sales price is right”.. while it was just on bargain in pre-order.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

For me it wasn’t the right price considering how little faith I have towards the dev. Moebius was IMO a pretty horrible game that didn’t any indication to expect better. I’m glad though that POS managed to do at least a bit better this time.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2007-07-25

PM

I haven’t fully completed the game yet (I’m currently at Schloss Ritter), but so far I have really really enjoyed it.

While the music may not be the absolute best in terms of quality (by 2014 standards I mean), I was gladly surprised when I discovered that the arrangements had a close resemblance to the original game. Seeing the new sceneries while hearing the good ol’ music from the 90’s brought back many, many fond memories for me.

I’ve had one in-game freeze (with a save an hour prior), but when I terminated the GK-process and started the game up again I had the “continue” option which allowed me to pick up where the game crashed.
Apart from that and some minor graphical glitches/clipping errors, I am immensely enjoying this reboot of one of my all-time favorite games.

I have probably never been as immersed in a computer-game like I was in the original Gabriel Knight 1 back in the early/mid 90’s. Of course I was both excited and abit scared to play the remake, but much to my enjoyment it is bringing back alot of fond memories.

The only real annoyance I’ve discovered interface-wise is how to choose the objects you wish to interact with another. Needing to first open the inventory, then selecting the object and THEN choosing who/what you wish to interact that object with.

I also like the small added puzzles and stories that weren’t in the original game, especially seeing as they do not significantly alter the story, but at the same time add something new to the experience.
A couple of examples are (spoilers) how you find the extra $20 for Willy Jr, or the sequence at the police station after you picked up the tracker. The latter nearly scared me shitless!! Really creepy!!

“How you escape is much less of a mystery than why you keep coming back!”
- Monkey Island

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

it also doesn’t take long to notice that most of the incidental details have simply been thrown out. Grace, for instance, no longer has her conservative brown skirt, but has switched to easier to animate jeans. Gabriel can no longer climb the ladder in his bookshop. When the police leave the first crime scene, it’s off-camera. There’s no longer the repairman fiddling with the thermostat in the police station, just a Post-It note saying not to fiddle with it. Gabriel no longer hugs his grandmother when he visits her. Now, sure, there are good reasons not to bother with these things, especially as a lot of it would be tricky for the 3D models or require a lot of work creating one-time assets. Going back to the original after playing this though just reinforces how much more soul it squeezed out of pixels than its remake ever manages with polygons.

THIS.

I keep noticing things like this and it really bothers me. Also i’ve just finished day 2 so far. Okay I need to speak about my rage for that mime puzzle! GOD DAMN THAT WAS FRUSTRATING. I can’t remember being as frustrated with it in the original as I was in this version. For one, controlling Gabriel by clicking doesn’t seem as responsive as it could be. I kept walking round and round the mime and nothing was happening Confused Like, if I hadn’t already known the solution I would have sure needed a walkthrough because the mime just wasn’t reacting. Also the park is a lot more squished in this version so it’s a lot easier for me to lose the mime to other people.

So far i’m on day 3 and my heart hurts.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

yeah, the mime puzzle is *worse* than the original. No two ways about it.
Lots of little things bother me. For example they changed the way you meet moonbeam in a weird way.. by taking away the current VS historical voodoo dialogue that dr jon does (and just leaving historical).. you miss out on dr jon suggesting current stuff is hocus pocus and if you really want to know more about that go talk to moonbeam. Now you get this flyer and if you present it to dr jon he says “i reccomend people to moonbeam for a deeper understanding of voodoo.” ...what???

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Nico Sels - 16 October 2014 03:20 AM

32 posts since about 1997? *snickers*

Since 2003. Wink
In your case even since 2006 as that was the date you registered.
The *really* old forums you’re referring to (1997-2003) are gone… Meh

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top