• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieNelzazobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #31: The Whispered World

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Playing the game for the second time and because of that knowing the ending, I kind of expected that there would be some AHA moments, where I noticed something new that only really makes sense in retrospect or takes on a new meaning, but surprisingly this haven’t happened, perhaps with the one exception that it now makes sense why there aren’t more people in the game. These scenes of course does exist, but not anything I didn’t notice on my original playthrough.

Anyway, I have managed to finish the last of this chapter, and is very much looking forward to the next, which also happens to contain by far the best puzzle in the game *cough* Spot *cough*.

Getting the last form for Spot was once again satisfyingly sadistic *ahem* I mean once again required you to do something unusual and something you normally wouldn’t do to a beloved pet, at least not if you have even the slightest shred of common sense.

Dealing with the “museum director” was strangely satisfying, as for once in the game Sadwick actually had the upper hand right from the start, and the train puzzle was a nice practice for what I know will be coming next.

A few quotes:
You can’t scare birds with Granpa’s pantaloons - But you can attract vultures with them.
There is something missing here - And I don’t just mean hope.

Hey Spot ... Can you try to ... Somehow burn this thing open? ... I don’t know ... Aww forget it.
Hey Spot ... Can you try to ... Somehow bounce this thing open? ... I don’t know ... Aww forget it.
Hey Spot ... Can you try to ... Somehow wobble this thing open? ... I don’t know ... Aww forget it.
Hey Spot ... Can you try to ... Somehow spool this thing open? ... I don’t know ... Aww forget it.
(Yes, that was how I solved that puzzle)

Karlok - 03 February 2015 07:41 AM

P.s. It is clearly a Lever and Oscar clearly needs glasses.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Here’s my version of the lever. Steam Special Edition version with hotspot-finder enabled.

Another in my Sadwick collection—this one dark greenish-gray.

I’m also including three of my favorite views, one from each chapter. My favorite screen from Chapter One is actually something of a spoiler, so I’m posting it before it comes more to life (so to speak). I like that the eyes follow Sadwick wherever he goes.

From the Chapter Two ending cutscene—I’m pleased with the unusual expression on Spot’s face. Is Spot fully sentient? How do you explain this expression otherwise?

The waterfall village, with the deep green lake in the background. It’s not as impressive as it is with the animated waterfalls. But it’s still pretty impressive. (I was going to say “stunning,” but I promised myself never to say that about a game’s graphics.)

I’m curious—when people are playing the game and Spot is just tagging along, do you change him to a favorite form? Or just leave him as is until he’s needed?

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Of course Spot is sentient, you can also tell by the way he feeps and meeps his responses! Smile

Those little portraits reminded me, anybody listening to the developers comments? Are they adding interesting stuff?

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Karlok - 04 February 2015 11:56 AM

Those little portraits reminded me, anybody listening to the developers comments? Are they adding interesting stuff?

I do it from time to time. It’s definitely not “your average developer’s comments” - sometimes, the chattering will take them somewhere totally unconnected to the current scene or game. I like that. It feels spontaneous.

Becky - 04 February 2015 11:41 AM

I’m curious—when people are playing the game and Spot is just tagging along, do you change him to a favorite form? Or just leave him as is until he’s needed?

yeah, I keep it in the default form, that’s my favorite. I also like to switch it to the fire form.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I’m pleased with the unusual expression on Spot’s face. Is Spot fully sentient? How do you explain this expression otherwise?

We all know that, in reality, Spot is the true protagonist and Sadwick just his loyal sidekick.
And yes, he is fully sentient. And he is also indestructible. And breaths fire. He is probably the result of a dragon mating with a catterpillar. As for the expression, how about that one?

The default is my favourite. Seems more “normal” than anything. Plus, he is adorable when he smiles.

Karlok - 04 February 2015 11:56 AM

I do, all the time. While their humour is not always to the Spot (pun intended), they offer various background information. Their commentary is not for the first timers though, since they spoil almost everything in every screen. I also agree with diego that their talk seems very informal which adds to the originality factor.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Here’s my version of the lever. Steam Special Edition version with hotspot-finder enabled.

That is some bad placement! what a way to make a puzzle almost impossible

Leave him be. He suffers enough without having to be inflated, on fire, divided or squished all the time!

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Yes, my favorite Spot is the heavy round one because I love the splashing sounds he makes. Next are the five Spotsies. My least favorite forms are fire and pancake.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

diego - 04 February 2015 12:07 PM

yeah, I keep it in the default form, that’s my favorite. I also like to switch it to the fire form.

Ditto.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Yes, my favorite Spot is the heavy round one because I love the splashing sounds he makes. Next are the five Spotsies. My least favorite forms are fire and pancake.

While I do enjoy all of spot’s forms - I do keep him in normal mode until he needs to change forms. Then after he is done in that form, I change him back.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I change Spot a lot, actually. I like the fiery Spot best, but I also enjoy the multiples and the balloon shape because the motion is fun to watch. The last iteration looks so painful I stay away from it, though, if I can.

The commentaries give good background information, including why certain decisions were made, and which people worked on certain parts of the game. They talk about the game’s themes, which has always interested me.

This is also my second time playing the game, and this time through I am understanding certain things better than I did the first time. In particular the dreams/nightmares, the stained glass window in Shana’s cabin, and why everyone was so concerned about waking Kalida.

Nice transformation. How much different would the story have been if this had been the case all along? (I think Spot loves being a clown.)

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’ve just realized that, the 3rd chapter, while not my favorite (it’s the first one), and while even SMALLER than the first and possibly the second one, provides players with the most “sense of freedom”. Playing in this small village is reminiscent of Scabb Island to a (much) smaller extent. It’s the puzzle design, probably, even though it’s heavily scripted and not really non-linear. (still enough to get me stuck for a 2nd time Angry)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Iznogood - 04 February 2015 07:31 AM

P.s. It is clearly a Lever and Oscar clearly needs glasses.

Maybe you’re right. To be honest, I’m disappointed with the game and really just sleepwalking through it at this stage. I’ll wait for the end before judging it, but after 3 chapters…well, to put it bluntly, it bores me. I’m stunned by all the praise it’s getting. Spot and the graphics are quite charming, but everything else is just so Daedelic.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’d like to see your top 10, Oscar! Tongue

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I have tried before but I am never happy with it. I have a list of around 25 loved games but I can’t narrow them down further than that, or rank them in order.

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I haven’t started chapter 3 yet but hoping to catch up next week with that & chapter 4 if you start it in the meantime (you haven’t started it yet have you?!)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top