• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dalezobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #31: The Whispered World

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I’m done with this chapter too, and let me say, this game has some of the most obtuse puzzles ever.
I got stuck for a really long time, and had to consult a walkthrough to get spot to burn the ashes in the prison. How random is that? There is not a single hint that there might be something under the ashes. The game and world are great, but the puzzles are really poor IMHO.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

wilco - 29 January 2015 12:18 PM
Sefir - 28 January 2015 06:44 AM

So, any comments about the Asgil thus far? Smile
Quite different from a 2 headed turtle with bear paws and giant teeth, are they? Grin
Impressions?

Dumb and depressive so far but still very early, only got out of the prison cell. And really a key under door puzzle?!?!? It will never end… Smile

Yeah I grimaced when I saw that too Tongue Seems like a recurring unspoken joke by game designers now.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Asgil are scary. The game is getting darker and darker. This wasn’t what I signed up for!

*hides under blankets*

Foot in mouth

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I came across this pic at Adventure Treff.  Cool

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Good one Karlok!! Grin

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I’m done with this chapter too, and let me say, this game has some of the most obtuse puzzles ever.

Yes, sadly - quite true—and they are getting more so in chapter 3.

The game’s good points:

1) Beautiful graphics.

2) Spot - an amazing sidekick.

Worth 4 dollars and this game did get the “Reader’s Choice” aggie award.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I didn’t think the puzzles were that obtuse. But I agree that burning hay puzzle could have used a little nudge in the game. I mostly got it because I like using Fire Spot in everything Smile Maybe I just want to see the world burn  Pan

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I have replayed the game numorous times throughout the years and I still believe that Spot is possibly the most powerful entity in the game. He is an indestructible, shapeshifting being that breathes fire for God’s shake (also, the whispered stone is in his possession Wink )!! He should have been able to deal with the entire Asgil army single-handedly and Sadwick’s continuous insecurity has no point when he has Spot to help/protect him all the time!!

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’m nearing the end of Chapter Two, still catching up. I noticed something that was curious—at the beginning of each chapter, Sadwick seemed to be more blue—literally—than he was at the end of each chapter.

Chapter One Beginning

Chapter Two Beginning

Chapter One Further In

Chapter Two Further In

I wondered if maybe this had anything to do with the dream sequences that begin each chapter—maybe Sadwick’s skin somehow reflected his state of mind?

Then I realized that both chapters begin out-of-doors in the open air, and further into each chapter, the story brings Sadwick inside buildings or underground. So the changes actually have to do with the light where Sadwick happens to stand. The easiest place to observe these changes is in Shana’s cabin, where part of the room is quite dark and part is very light due to the window above Shana’s chair.

It struck me that Bando is actually somewhat similar to Sadwick, in that he seldom gets his way, and he’s at the beck and call of his superior. He has to constantly suppress his natural instinct to be active and boisterous. The powers that be want Bando to quiet down, while Sadwick is constantly encouraged to be more lively.

I found Ruben unusual in that he’s a collector, but he’s reached his goal, so he’s stopped collecting. Most collector types never really fall out of collecting mode. If “pearls” aren’t fun to collect anymore, they find something else to acquire. They don’t want a static situation like Ruben, they want even more, on and on.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

It’s interesting you mention that, Becky, because TWW is SORT of a “coming of age”, in a very broad sense. But I haven’t noticed changes in Sadwick’s model, that must be the light (or that “Blue” song Grin Wink ), though you never know, I’ll pay closer attention from now. Tongue

And whoever “hates” the “obtuse”, “insane” puzzles: “I guess you guys aren’t ready for that yet. But your kids fathers loved it.” Grin

No, really, there could more nudges in the right direction here and there, but I think big part of the game’s charm is exactly that it echoes the type of puzzles found in Lucas/Sierra classics (with a twist! Literally!). And I also think it’s not THAT hard. I guess it’s all about diversity - I’d be happy if I had few games like TWW annually along with the opposite side of the spectrum.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

diego - 30 January 2015 12:46 PM

And whoever “hates” the “obtuse”, “insane” puzzles: “I guess you guys aren’t ready for that yet. But your kids fathers loved it.” Grin

Son I have white hair Tongue But you are right. I was more tolerant back then of the obtuse puzzles in games like DOTT or Monkey Island 2 ( *cough* Monkey Wrench *cough). I guess it comes with age that you lose a little bit more patience. Also, I don’t mind getting stuck, but when the puzzles are logical. When it involves try everything on everything for no specific reason and without any hint, that’s when I get frustrated.

But let me just explain that I still love the game despite these frustrations, because of the intriguing characters/story and like everyone mentioned here, Spot Smile. Can’t wait for chapter 4.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

SoccerDude28 - 30 January 2015 02:08 PM

I still love the game… and like everyone mentioned here, Spot Smile. Can’t wait for chapter 4.

You won’t be disappointed! Smile

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Sefir - 30 January 2015 02:18 PM
SoccerDude28 - 30 January 2015 02:08 PM

I still love the game… and like everyone mentioned here, Spot Smile. Can’t wait for chapter 4.

You won’t be disappointed! Smile

Apart from one “puzzle” that annoys (me at least!  Tongue )

Running behind due to the work being done on my house and not yet started chapter 3 but I hope to catch up by the end of the week.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Got absorbed with my VNs again but finished chapter 2 now and will continue with 3, hoping I don’t get stuck or hurt or something again so I’ll be able to start the 4th on time Grin.

Got 8/11 from the quiz. Some nice stuff and only place where I was stuck was with the ladder. I tend to get stuck with reusable items in adventures in general. Mind is too conformed to the basic formula use->forget which usually works.

I think Sadwick was the only one surprised in the end of chapter 2, it’s hardly a twist when it’s set up so thoroughly.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Karlok - 30 January 2015 06:18 AM

I came across this pic at Adventure Treff.  Cool

Grin Great, though Edna should have been Marge

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top