• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445LittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Testament of Sherlock Holmes

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I’ve played a little bit of it today and so far it’s been fun. I’m not sure I’m really fond of Holmes’s new look, voice and downright thuggish behaviour (I hope they’re going somewhere with the latter), but I’ll survive. I’m overjoyed that the deduction board is back (it was my favourite part of Jack the Ripper), and the rest of the gameplay is varied and fun. Well, there’s a part I’ve played that’s very unrealistic and goofy (Toby the wonderdog!), but it’s also been the most fun I’ve had with the game yet, so it may be forgiven.

There’s some clunkiness to the English version: some of the lines seem to have been translated and (even more so) acted out of context, and that takes away some of the tension in the dramatic scenes (it’s especially true during the prison break, which feels like a bit of a mess).

Anyway, overall it’s been a good experience for the moment. As far as I’m concerned, the Frogwares SH games have ranked thus: Mummy <<<< Awakened << Lupin < Ripper (I haven’t played Silver Earring yet). I wouldn’t be surprised if Testament ends up at the top of my list. (Who said progress was dead!)

Total Posts: 28

Joined 2004-08-26

PM

Hi Everyone,

new reviews this morning

http://www.hookedgamers.com/pc/the_testament_of_sherlock_holmes/review/article-954.html
8/10

http://www.gamezebo.com/games/testament-sherlock-holmes/review 9/10

http://wegotthiscovered.com/Game-review/testament-sherlock-holmes-review/
7/10
This one is the worst one and he didn’t like the puzzles that were too hard and without explanation. At least, even being frustrated by the difficulty he didn’t bash the game.

I’m not sure about spoilers in those reviews, I don’t remember if they contain some, but they most probably do, I write this as Fantasysci5 told the last one spoiled something for her, and I’m sorry I didn’t say it in advance.

Total Posts: 317

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

It’s okay, though I would have liked to keep playing as Toby a surprise, which they listed under the pros. I’m still looking forward to it.

Favorite Adventure Games-Lost Crown, Longest Journey, Dark Fall 1&2, Barrow Hill, Black Mirror, Blackwell games, Riven, Myst
Favorite Other Games-Kings Bounty, FTL
Currently Playing-Barrow Hill:The Dark Path
Looking Forward To-Last Crown/Braken Tor

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

wael - 26 September 2012 01:25 AM

http://wegotthiscovered.com/Game-review/testament-sherlock-holmes-review/
7/10
This one is the worst one and he didn’t like the puzzles that were too hard and without explanation. At least, even being frustrated by the difficulty he didn’t bash the game.

Reading that review I get the impression that the reviewer didn’t take notes during the game.
I think reviews with low scores are usually the most interesting because you learn the most from it. This reviewer clearly isn’t a hardcore adventurer like most of us are, and the fact that he still likes the game says… something; I don’t know what yet. Smile
Fantasy, how did you know the dog was called Toby?

Total Posts: 93

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Fantasysci5 - 26 September 2012 01:44 AM

It’s okay, though I would have liked to keep playing as Toby a surprise, which they listed under the pros. I’m still looking forward to it.

Yeah, that’s definitely something that shouldn’t be spoiled, it might not mean much to some players but it’s a very fun surprise for Holmes fans.

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2006-04-30

PM

Happy to see some good reviews. I should get my copy tomorrow. Just started to play Sherlock Vs Jack the Ripper again the other day while waiting for this.

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

tsa - 26 September 2012 02:42 AM

Fantasy, how did you know?

Because I’m a Holmes fan? No, in all seriousness, I read Kurufinwe’s review, because I had an inkling that what was referred to as goofy was the same that was listed in the pros section that had already spoiled that for me. Anyway, I have read the original books, and it could only be one.

Favorite Adventure Games-Lost Crown, Longest Journey, Dark Fall 1&2, Barrow Hill, Black Mirror, Blackwell games, Riven, Myst

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I also read the original books but I am very bad at names so I forgot what the dog was called Smile.

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2012-09-26

PM

Just curious here, as to which style of gameplay (first/third person, mouse/keyboard etc..) you guys have opted for?  Smile

Total Posts: 93

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I went for the new over-the-shoulder third person view which I absolutely loved. Not only does it make the game feel a little more loose and modern, it also makes it much easier to scan the environments which is incredibly handy. I actually found it hard to use the first person view whenever I went back to it.

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

SamandMax - 27 September 2012 12:54 AM

it also makes it much easier to scan the environments which is incredibly handy.

Oh good! I like playing 3rd person with these games, but I often picked 1st person just so I could see the details on the screen better. I’m glad I can have it both ways now!

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

This game is getting more and more interesting. When will it be released on DVD in the States? I just discovered that I had a voucher for $ 50,- still unused on Amazon. There is now $ 27,- left. See the Splurges thread in Chit Chat Smile.

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2012-08-30

PM

tsa - 26 September 2012 02:16 PM

I also read the original books but I am very bad at names so I forgot what the dog was called Smile.

It was Best Noose of England hehe

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2012-08-30

PM

Fantasysci5 - 27 September 2012 02:52 AM
SamandMax - 27 September 2012 12:54 AM

it also makes it much easier to scan the environments which is incredibly handy.

Oh good! I like playing 3rd person with these games, but I often picked 1st person just so I could see the details on the screen better. I’m glad I can have it both ways now!

I wonder if anyone enjoys point-and-click here?

BTW here is another game review by darkzero.co.uk saying “If you’re a fan of mystery games, point-and-click adventures, complicated puzzlers, or you’re just a sucker for a good story, then The Testament of Sherlock Holmes is a no-brainer.”

Total Posts: 57

Joined 2012-01-24

PM

Olga - 27 September 2012 08:32 AM

I wonder if anyone enjoys point-and-click here?

In my playthrough I opted for the third person camera, which I really loved, and I actually used an XBOX controller. However I know many people who have a preference for the classic point and click control scheme and are unwilling to try something different or worse yet get motion-sickness from free-roaming cameras. Therefore I’m sure there are people who have preferred point and click and I get the impression that even some of the reviews were written by people who opted for the point and click control scheme.

I really liked the modern 3D graphics of the game and the story was consistently interesting (though in my opinion not as interesting as the second half of SH vs JtR). However I must say that I was a bit disappointed with the puzzles of the game. Most of them were fine by themselves, but many were far too disjointed from the actual narrative of the game and felt kind of tacked on to prolong gameplay. In my opinion there were far too many locks, safe combinations and mini-games that felt more like puzzles in a difficult casual-puzzle game than an integral part in the adventure of Holmes’s investigation. Solving them was enjoyable, but it didn’t feel much like detective work. However the deduction board puzzles and the investigation puzzles were brilliant. Those, I really enjoyed immensely.

Overall it was a good game, but I was somewhat disappointed, because, had all the puzzles been better implemented into the storyline, it would have been one of the truly great adventure games.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top