• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Abhi D.CaliMonk

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Your Top 100 Adventure Games (Voting Ended) 

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

GateKeeper - 03 August 2022 06:12 AM

Jane Jensen fans have boosted Gabriel Knight games surprisingly high, but some other Sierra games are surprisingly low, or missing entirely. Like Space Quest 6, whether it’s 1 or 0 votes, it’s practically speaking missing from the list in both cases.

I’ll comment to this. I’m not a Jane Jensen fan per se, but a Gabriel Knight fan. I played the Beast Within first, and loved it. I liked the puzzles and the game play. Then went back and played the Sins of the Fathers. Not my type of game at all, but I pushed through it for completeness. When Blood of the Sacred came out, I was thrilled I could play it in 1st person, which is always my preference. I read the books too, and have the soundtrack.
So you may be seeing a reflection of people who like that series, versus the writer/developer.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Oh, I completely missed that. Great job Lady K! That said, I’m not sure I could come up with 100 games that I believe deserve to be in a top 100. I don’t think I’ve played much more than 200 games so that would mean saying that 50% of the games I played deserve to be in the top 100…

GateKeeper - 03 August 2022 06:12 AM

Jane Jensen fans have boosted Gabriel Knight games surprisingly high, but some other Sierra games are surprisingly low, or missing entirely. Like Space Quest 6, whether it’s 1 or 0 votes, it’s practically speaking missing from the list in both cases.

Leisure Suit Larry 5 is missing entirely too!
Did it get grouped with LSL 4 somehow?  Tongue
But seriously, it’s a classic Sierra game, and it also led the series to cartoony direction, and was point-and-click for the first time in the series, so there shouldn’t be even any anti-pixelart or anti-parser influence there.

But yet, not on the list at all.

So are Sierra games generally speaking on the way out from the adventure top lists?
The difference between LucasArts and Sierra is unbelievably obvious here.

I wonder if it’s that Sierra games tended to be less forgiving with death scenes whereas Lucas Art games were more modern and are easier for younger players to get into? I also feel that Leisure Suit Larry’s humour is more dated than say Day of the tentacle or Secret of Monkey Island.

Total Posts: 5848

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 02 August 2022 08:25 PM

.....How can you not vote for Syberia or Grim Fandango. But the bottom 30% astounds me. I didn’t know that many games existed where only one or two people thought the game merited Top 100 status.

I never voted for games that I thought merited top 100 status - I voted for games that merited in MY top 100 favourite games whether good or bad! My thought being that I’m not the greatest judge of what’s good & bad but I do know what I like!  Smile

Thank you Lady Kestrel for compiling the list as it was obviously a mammoth task!  Thumbs Up I loved the option of choosing up to 100 games & I for one hope that that will be an option in future years if it happens! I always found it frustrating to limit my preferred games to 20 during the few years I contributed to the GB thread.

Total Posts: 5057

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Space Quest 6 is there. But you’ll find it as Space Quest VI which I guess is in keeping with how all the other Space Quest games are listed.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1089

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Most suprising outcome is one voted games list, really asks for an acquired taste, it will be my next adventures to play list anyways.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 868

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

rtrooney - 03 August 2022 11:08 AM

Space Quest 6 is there. But you’ll find it as Space Quest VI which I guess is in keeping with how all the other Space Quest games are listed.

OK.
That explains why CTRL+F:ing didn’t find it then.
Also somehow my eyes skipped over it. Cool

But it doesn’t explain why nobody else listed it.
For me personally the reason was that a couple of years ago I replayed through Space Quest series, but then something came up, and I had to stop after SQV, so I didn’t replay SQ6 back then.

I have this memory that it was one of the funniest Space Quest games, but since I remember it from many years ago, but the other games in the series are fresh memories, I decided to err on the side of caution, and not include it. But that’s just me.

I wonder why everyone else chose not to include it, or if anyone even actually considered it. I know there are some controversies behind the creative process, but I think the game itself was funny in each case.

“You go now and I don’t rearrange your organs” in fake Schwarzenegger voice is still one of the funniest Sierra death gags, and the game even offers a chance to avoid dying by reacting fast enough, which is a bit more user-friendly than most Sierra games.

Total Posts: 5057

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

GateKeeper - 03 August 2022 12:16 PM

But it doesn’t explain why nobody else listed it. For me personally the reason was that a couple of years ago I replayed through Space Quest series, but then something came up, and I had to stop after SQV, so I didn’t replay SQ6 back then.

I have this memory that it was one of the funniest Space Quest games, but since I remember it from many years ago, but the other games in the series are fresh memories, I decided to err on the side of caution, and not include it. But that’s just me.

I agree. It was a great game. Extremely funny. But it had one glaring flaw. The 3-D maze in the end-game sequence. Josh Mandel told me that the puzzle’s designers could not solve it without a walkthrough. I’m willing to forgive the flaw in favor of the rest of the game. Perhaps others are not.

Edit: To be fair, that’s a question that everyone who nominated a one-vote game can ask. I.e. “Why was I the only person who thought this game was worth nominating?”

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5621

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

rtrooney - 03 August 2022 12:43 PM

To be fair, that’s a question that everyone who nominated a one-vote game can ask. I.e. “Why was I the only person who thought this game was worth nominating?”

My answer would be because it appealed to me on some level.  Both The Space Bar and Starship Titanic have wacky humor and even wackier puzzles and were great fun to play.  I don’t care if nobody else voted for them.  They’re special to me.

I don’t really rise and shine.  I caffeinate and hope for the best.

Total Posts: 530

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

I had Starship Titanic on my list, at one point. Not sure why I ended up removing it. I liked the game a lot.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 7488

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I want to join the Space Bar fanclub. Wonderful creatures and great humor. And Thud! Heart Eyes Just a tiny bit too hard. Starship Titanic is also unique, amazing and funny. Maybe a tiny bit too hard. Both games have their flaws but so what. I’ll choose Douglas Adams and Steve Meretzky anytime over those Andromeda guys. 

Okay, rant over.
Here’s Thud for those who remember him and for those who have no idea what they’re missing.

https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/4205/

PROM, NAPOL, PROM! - The Rise of the Golden Idol

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

is there a chance we can pit the top 20 against each other to get a final certain order Tongue..
yeah, we can never be satisfied

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Out of the games in the top 20, 6 of them I haven’t played & another 2 just weren’t included in my top 100 so they would have to be (maybe unfairly) included in the bottom 8 & in no particular order! 
Out of the others there’s really only a few I included in my own top 20 & for me a lot of games are on a par with each other so I would find it difficult to present an order. But, I’d have a go!  Smile

Total Posts: 530

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

There’s no top 20. There’s a top 22, but having a top 20 would mean excluding two games which received 15 votes along with five other games.

AKA Charo

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

22 games! - that’s now messed up my maths!  Laughing

Total Posts: 851

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

DentArthurDent - 02 August 2022 07:36 AM

The popularity of The Dig in this poll surprises me. Critics were unenthusiastic about it, both at the time and in retrospect (see https://www.filfre.net/2021/07/the-dig/ ), and it wasn’t a commercial smash either, so what can explain the disconnect here?

Also, is Machinariun worth playing if I didn’t like Samorost? Or is it just more of the same?

I have never played Samarost because the aesthetic didn’t appeal to me, but Machinarium is top-tier stuff, in my book.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top