You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2011, 07:37 PM   #61

plumgas,
I emailed support with a link to this page saying there were still problems. I informed them that I had not yet tried to install and play the game. I was told to install and play the game and then report any problems with system specs. I pretty much gave up.

panthera,
How do i get a hold of those files?! Sounds like a great idea. I'll try to IM you now.

Thanks all.

P.S. Just IM'd you (I think).

Last edited by peebee; 02-16-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:16 PM   #62

peebee,

if you don't have any luck as soon as I get the disk in the mail I will set it up somewhere for you to download.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:50 AM   #63
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee View Post
panthera,
How do i get a hold of those files?! Sounds like a great idea. I'll try to IM you now.

Thanks all.

P.S. Just IM'd you (I think).
I didn't receive an IM, but I sent you an IM with info and a link. You should be able to check it by clicking on private messages next to your name in the top right corner of the forum.

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 02-17-2011, 09:00 PM   #64

received my disk today & installed the gtx group files one by one & played the part going from the dining room to the stables & I am happy to report the corrupted file is on group 5 which is only 45mb so it will be easy for everyone to download.

let me know if anyone wants it.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:33 AM   #65
female animal lover

Have you checked with the pictures in Samuel's room too? Since the sound corruption exists throughout the game, I would personally overwrite all the gfx files to be sure, but please report back when you've played through if the 5th file fixed everything.

The more concise information we can tell adventure shop, the better I think.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #66

played right throught the game & found it played perfectly. As I reloaded each gxf files from the original disk & checked the game after each file, it wasn't until the gfx5.group file was loaded that the sound errors disappeared. Based on this I would have to conclude that changing the one file will correct everyone's game.
I was thinking it was just background music but the music is different in each problem area, unless the group 5 file contains all the background music & that would explain it.
as this file is only 44.3mb it can be downloaded easy.

I also found that the original disk had starforce drivers that wouldn't work ojn vista & win 7 but I loaded a nocd patch that actually fixed this issue also.

So anyone who wants the file please let me know.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:26 PM   #67

black mirror sound correction for adventure shop download

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21372568/gfx5.zip
Old 03-07-2011, 09:22 AM   #68
Sik

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumgas View Post
black mirror sound correction for adventure shop download

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21372568/gfx5.zip
Thanks a lot! I downloaded the file at work a while ago, and just got a chance to test it. Seems to work. Now I just need the time to actually play it.

Oh, and on a side note, I notice the game has been taken off the list of games at The Adventure Shop now, so I am guessing they are working on a fix before selling more copies.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:48 AM   #69

Thanks for the updates file. However, it did not fix one of the two occurrences I found of my game crashing.
It did fix the crashing when Samuel goes to the rear garden and tries to get to the stable but encounters bushes blocking the path.

It did not fix the crash when Samuel gets to the stable. He goes into the stable and clicks on a bottle sitting on the work table (shelf). He looks at the label then exits the label. He then goes outside and talks to Morris. He questions Morris about the bottle of wine. As soon as Samuel says, ‘alright Morris’ my game crashes.

I wrote to The Adventure Shop last week and told them about this problem, as many here have already done. I didn’t hear back soon enough so I wrote again and asked for a refund. They wrote back and asked for more details on the crashing with this game. I just now gave them, as best I could, detailed instructions on how to find the two ‘crash scenes’ that I have encountered. I hope they give me store credit now since I already ordered a CD version of the game off of ebay.

This was the first game I ever purchased for downloading. It was not a warm and fuzzy experience.

Last edited by Moralez; 03-07-2011 at 03:54 PM. Reason: changed system to game
Old 03-08-2011, 05:51 AM   #70

I continued playing with the file shared here and there truly is still points in the game that crash. But i'd guess there's a whole lot less of them now.

After leaving the manor to explore the town, i think that the next time it started to crash again was the morgue on two occasions. I skipped these with the restart the game without sound trick. Also i save like after everything i do.

I already like this game so much. Feels like being home. Shame that it has to be like this. I just have to hope that it will be more like 1 crash per 1 hour and not in every scene through the rest of the game.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:19 AM   #71
female animal lover

Have you tried copying over all the sound files, and not only the one he shares?

Try these, I'm sharing all the gfx files, but beware, they're over 1 gb, and take some time to download.

Working gfx files, 7zip archive

Old 03-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #72
Sik

Thanks Panthera. Downloading these as well. Still haven't had time to start playing, but when I do it'll be nice to know I have a good chance to get through the game without going deaf from random static noise.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #73

Thanks from me too. I couldn't get other than the one that had been shared. I'll try all of your files.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:00 PM   #74
female animal lover

Also check your chr files.

I have seen somebody reporting crash problems with non-adventure shop games where the chr files are to blame.
You should have 3;
majer.chr
majerk.chr
mejerk.chr

I think they can be fixed by renaming, but it is probably best to overwrite them, but, as I said I've only seen this problem mentioned with non-adventure shop copies.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #75

[QUOTE=Moralez;574331]Thanks for the updates file. However, it did not fix one of the two occurrences I found of my game crashing.
It did fix the crashing when Samuel goes to the rear garden and tries to get to the stable but encounters bushes blocking the path.

It did not fix the crash when Samuel gets to the stable. He goes into the stable and clicks on a bottle sitting on the work table (shelf). He looks at the label then exits the label. He then goes outside and talks to Morris. He questions Morris about the bottle of wine. As soon as Samuel says, ‘alright Morris’ my game crashes.

I checked both my installations (the original cd on win 7) & the adventure shop version on win xp & I am not getting the error you mentioned on the wine. Was this a sound error or another crash as the file I posted was to fix sound & not any other crashes. I had not clicked on the bottle while I was testing the patched game as I just asked morris about the wine after reading the letter.

I have win 98 capability set in exe file & also agds.exe.
if anyone needs the majerk files they can be found on a no cd patch.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:36 AM   #76

>>Was this a sound error or another crash as the file I posted was to fix sound & not any other crashes. I had not clicked on the bottle while I was testing the patched game as I just asked Morris about the wine after reading the letter.

This was a sound error, I guess. I have only encountered two crashes. The rear garden, when the path was covered with bushes, was one and talking to Morris after clicking on the bottle and then the label was the other. When talking to Morris the last thing Samuel says before the crash is, “alright Morris”.

I’m running XP SP3 and I never set the compatibility mode with the new gfx5.grp file. As a matter of fact I no longer have the Adventure Shop version of the game installed anymore. I purchased a CD version off of ebay. I wrote to TAS, complained. They asked me for instructions on how to crash the game. I sent them the directions I used and then someone else wrote back and wanted a DxDiag file plus other info. Either they didn’t try my directions to make the game crash or the game didn’t crash for them. Makes me wonder why the game is no longer available for download. Anyway, I have decided to no longer do business with The Adventure Shop.

I do want to thank you for making the gfx5.grp file available. I thought it did the trick when I got past the crash at the overgrown path. I was very disappointed when the game crashed talking to Morris.

Take care
Old 03-12-2011, 03:40 PM   #77

well you are not alone there, I never will buy another game from them either.
Pretty disgusting still selling a game 12 months down the track when there is problems with it. they asked my for the dx info but I didn't respond as I wasn't wasting my time.

the sound error is a high pitched static noise which I had right through the whole game not just in 2 places. Now its a pleasure to play the game.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #78

It sounds like you read my e-mail to them. I wrote them after crashing for a second time on the conversation with Morris and the wine bottle, and this was with your new gfx5.grp file. I asked for a refund, told them they knew about this problem for over a year and yet they let me download it. I also pointed them to this thread. That’s when they asked for instructions to make it crash. Like you I didn’t send them a DxDiag file. I feel I went through more than enough to explain the problem and providing them instruction to reproduce it. Like you I never did respond back.

I got the sound distortion at several places during game play. However, the game only crashed in two of the places. The CD I purchased works fine. I did have to patch the Star Force security so it wouldn’t analyze the entire disk before each play, fail and then ask me to enter a code. Once it was patched it starts up pretty fast.

Black Mirror was the first game I ever downloaded. Talk about off to a bad start. I like owning a hard copy anyway so it isn’t a big deal for me not to download from them. I’ll have to wait for my VISA statement to see if they gave me credit but I doubt they will. It’s the price one pays for experience.

Take care.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:09 AM   #79

let me know if you get a refund as I will be trying also.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:04 AM   #80

I have now played about 3 chapters with Panthera's complete gfx files. Worked flawlessly so far, i would also bet it will work till the end.

I don't know about the first chapter crashes, i don't have a save file there anymore.

Great thanks for giving me this chance to finally play the game.

About the refunds talk. I got to choose another game with the same price back when i bought it and complained. So customer service wasn't that bad for me.

EDIT: I've completed the game.

Last edited by Demens; 03-15-2011 at 12:37 PM.