You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2010, 07:00 AM   #21

I had the same issue. It crashes where the way to the stable is blocked, fortunately I didn't need to access that at least early on since there is a different way to the stable.

Then I crashed again when I need to speak to Robert in his study for the 2nd time. But if I save the game, disable the audio (Realtek) and use the subtitles (which I do anyway) then when I am done there save the game, exit the game, and then bring back the audio and load the saved game, I am all set.

My question is, where are other sound crashes? If I knew ahead then I would have a better handle on when to save the game. Right now I am just saving often.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:40 PM   #22

Are you playing the Adventure Shop version?
Old 10-28-2010, 07:31 AM   #23

Yes I am.

I have found another place where it crashes, but again, if I turn off sound right before the crash and turn it back on after, I can get through it.

I routinely save before I talk to anyone. Nearly to chapter 2. I don't have much time to play. So far, so good.

Playing with subtitles is a good idea for the parts that are full of static.

It is a pain having to leave the game, turn off the sound, leave the game and turn it back on, but I am enjoying Black Mirror, so I guess I can go with it if it gets me to the end.

Last edited by falldays; 10-28-2010 at 07:33 AM. Reason: to add
Old 11-17-2010, 01:03 PM   #24
Sik

I finally found a workaround that might let me play the game. I tried running the game in Linux (Ubuntu 10.10) using Wine (1.2.1). The game seems to work fine as long as I run it on a virtual desktop in stead of full screen (Cut scenes flicker in full screen mode). I still get the static sounds at the same points as before, which strongly suggests corrupt sound files in the Adventure Shop version of the game, but at least the game doesn't crash after the static.

I did run into an issue where exiting the game freezes the X server and forces me to restart it, but no crashes while playing so far.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:53 AM   #25

I have the original retail version of the game, I could upload the sound files from that one if someone can tell me which files are needed to see if that helps?

Assuming it's allowed of course.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:27 PM   #26

thanks nomarch,
Does your version run on Windows 7? If so I may just search e-bay for the version you are running.

Thanks
Old 12-03-2010, 07:19 AM   #27

Default Got the solution! Your assumptions were right!

Hey guys,

I registered especially to give you some feedback on the sound corruption problem! I hope this is still in time to help you at least understand the problem... I too fell victim to the sound corruption issue in the Adventure Shop Download Version of "The Black Mirror". After contacting their support, Lace Mamba Support, (which Adventure Shop forwarded me to) and all of them telling me it's not their problem, I decided to take matters into my own hands.

I managed to accquire a retail version of the US edition published by The Adventure Company / Dreamcatcher Interactive, which the download version is based off of according to the PDF manuals.

And guess what: after copying over all the gfx1 through gfx6 data files from the retail discs and thus overwriting the data from the download version... NO MORE SOUND CORRUPTION! I only copied over the gfx files, none of the other original files, as they are protected by starforce 3 copy protection and would have caused many more problems with the download version...

The strange thing was that the file sizes between both versions all matched up, so the corruption must really be on the level of single sound files within the archives! I did not do a hex comparison, although I'm pretty sure that would show the corrupted files!!

So this is pretty annoying, huh?! I would suggest all of you complain to the adventure shop to get the publisher to supply them with non-corrupt versions of the files, otherwise every new buyer of this game will be SOL!

I have also contacted Dreamcatcher Interactive, but they are not responding thus far...

To be fair, I have not beaten the game yet, but I had made savegames before several sound crashes and they all work now... Here's crossing my fingers that the rest of the game will work too.

Of course, all of us being forced to buy a second copy of the game is quite rediculous, so we need to give both the Adventure Shop and Dreamcatcher a heads up that their files are broken!

Cheers!
Old 12-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #28

Wow! That is great to hear.

Can anyone post the GFX files for download?

I wrote The Adventure Company and The Adventure Shop (for the 2nd time) and never heard back from them.

I would really appreciate it if anyone could supply me with these files.

Perhaps even email them to patbergeron (at) hotmail (dot) com

I would have to imagine they are huge though.

In the meantime, I will rewrite The Adventure Shop pointing out your post agamerj.

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2010, 12:56 PM   #29

Ok. I just wrote The Adventure Shop again. Hopefully they will offer us some help.

Thanks.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:01 PM   #30

Hey peebee,

I wrote the adventure shop about my findings and will hopefully receive a reply soon. I'm convinced they must act on this because it really is *their* problem! They or the publisher should have tested the download version of the game before putting it up for sale...

The thing about uploading the gfx*.grp files is of course that they're copyrighted and like you said, they *are* huge! They make up more or less 1,6 GB of the entire 1,8 GB that the download version takes up.

I was lucky to get a used retail version off ebay, but this is obviously far from an ideal solution...

What has me stumped is how they were able to continue selling this game? Did anyone ever get their version working correctly??
Old 12-04-2010, 06:45 AM   #31

They have opened a ticket in response to my email. This is good news, since I never received a response for my last email.

Will write back when I receive a response.

Thanks.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:56 AM   #32

Hi,

just wanted to give a short update on my findings. I have written to the adventure shop explaining that their files are corrupt, but have not received an answer yet.

I can confirm however that the entire game worked flawlessly with the gfx*.grp files from the retail discs in combination with the download version's executables. I was able to beat the game with no further problems...

I really hope that the adventure shop fixes this problem soon, as the game is great and deserves to be played right =)
Old 12-08-2010, 02:11 AM   #33

Default Adventure Shop Responds

I have received a response from the Adventure Shop:

They are in the process of contacting Dreamcatcher Interactive to get the problem sorted out...
Old 12-09-2010, 03:00 PM   #34

I received a response also, although they didn't mention the need to contact Dreamcatcher. Just that they were looking into the matter and would get back to me soon. Thanks for sharing. I will post again when I hear back.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:20 PM   #35

Default Refund from Adventure Shop

I also just registered to this forum to let you know that if you haven't contacted Adventure Shop Customer Service about this or maybe you did but didn't hear back that you should try again. I recently contacted them about this and they let me know that they were able to recreate the issue and were following up. The best part was they issued a refund to my account and I was able to buy another game while I wait for the patch.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #36

I'm experiencing the same sound/crash issue with the downloadable version Gamersgate.com sells as well. As others above explained, the crashes are all easily reproducible too.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:36 PM   #37

I know nothing about all this techy stuff you're all talking about (I'm a lawyer - lol) but I do love these adventure games! Anyway - I can tell you that I too, purchased Black Mirror as a download from Adventure Shop and it was a mess - kept crashing - I couldn't play it. So, what I did was simply buy it again in disc form - jewel case version - for about $7 brand new from Amazon and it played perfectly! In fact that is one of my favorite games and I've played it several times already (BM 2 as well) and waiting on the edge of my seat for BM3!). Good luck!
Old 01-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #38

Im in the same boat, downloaded from Adventure Shop and having the same issues. I want to play BM2 but I want to pay BM1 first. I gave up and bought the disc off Amazon only to find out it won't work on my os...Vista. I got to chapter 2 by disabling the sound before the crashes but then I hit another bug where I could not find the footprint or talk to the dr so Im frustrated. I am having a starforce error trying to run on Vista with my boxed version. I tried running as administrator and also changed compatibility to XP and unless I did it wrong it is still not working UGH!! Ive been getting some help from great peeps from this board but still no solution.

Hi Zoe...Im trying here too for solution.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:57 AM   #39

merrymouse: Did you replace only the "gfx" files with the retail cd version "gfx" files? I think there are 5 or 6 files. (gfx1, gfx2, etc). From what I've read, replacing any other files could result in errors.

About your retail game errors, did you check the starforce patch available for the game?

Back to talking about the download version:
I set compatibility mode to Windows 98 for EACH exe file within the game folder and now my game does not crash. The sound corruption is still there, but now the game client doesn't crash each time. I've confirmed this on both of my machines. Both are windows 7 64 bit, but one is a laptop with a nvidia card and a realtek onboard sound, the other is my desktop with an ATI card and a standalone xfi sound card. Previously, I had set only the main game shortcut on my desktop to XP compatibility mode. So this time I went to the game folder and right clicked each EXE file (not needed for the config file) and set each to windows 98. I did also enable admin.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:41 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestaticon View Post
merrymouse: Did you replace only the "gfx" files with the retail cd version "gfx" files? I think there are 5 or 6 files. (gfx1, gfx2, etc). From what I've read, replacing any other files could result in errors.

About your retail game errors, did you check the starforce patch available for the game?

Back to talking about the download version:
I set compatibility mode to Windows 98 for EACH exe file within the game folder and now my game does not crash. The sound corruption is still there, but now the game client doesn't crash each time. I've confirmed this on both of my machines. Both are windows 7 64 bit, but one is a laptop with a nvidia card and a realtek onboard sound, the other is my desktop with an ATI card and a standalone xfi sound card. Previously, I had set only the main game shortcut on my desktop to XP compatibility mode. So this time I went to the game folder and right clicked each EXE file (not needed for the config file) and set each to windows 98. I did also enable admin.
Hi and thanks for your help. I don't want to highjack this thread but I really would like to play this game. Also what we discover may help someone in the same situation. I don't think I replaced the gfx files. All I did was right click the desktop icon from my boxed version clicked open file locations then I clicked on all the files that said application (vista does not say .exe) then I changed the compatibility mode to XP sevice pack 2 and I also tried changing to windows 98 then I clicked apply then ok and tried to play and got the same error from starforce.

Secondly, I was unaware there was a starforce patch for my game. Where would I find that and is it going to screw up my computer?

I uninstalled my downloaded version before I installed my boxed version so I have no idea if I can even get it back.

I have an HP Pavilion dv5
Windows Vista Home Premium
AMD Turion X2 dual core mobile RM70
3.00 GB
32 bit

Now I have no idea what any of that means as I am total computer bone-head. Im impressed with myself for even finding that info