You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2009, 02:38 PM   #1

Default Still life 1 and windows 7

Has The adventure gamers come out with a patch so windows 7 can play?

I've tried EVERYTHING (I'm very savvy with computers) to be able to play, but it won't let me get through the Starforce protection system. I don't mind using Starforce to play Still Life for a little while, because I know how to get it off my computer..

I just want to play! It says the Starforce drivers are not compatible with my windows system.. it needs a patch to work. Since it uses the older type of Starforce they don't have a patch nor can they do anything, I've asked.

Very frustrating. People really need to keep up with technology when they make games, or else what's the point in buying them..
Old 12-18-2009, 03:46 PM   #2

There are two issues with Still Life and Windows 7. If you have the Star Force version there is not much that you can do, as the version of Star Force that ships with the game will not install on Windows 7. Even if you manage to, it won't let you do the one thing that you need to to make it run on Vista/Win7, which is to set Compatibility mode to NT4. The only way to make it run on Win7 is to use the No-CD patch. Just don't ask for a link here, though. If you need a link, Google is your friend.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:53 PM   #3

I;ve tried the no-cd patch :/ says access denied when i try to copy the files over. Thanks though, maybe I'll be able to figure something out, or partition and use windows xp.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:18 AM   #4

The UAC might be getting in the way. Make sure that you have write access to the Programs Files folder. For pre Vista games it is best to not install in the Programs Files folder. Try installing the game somewhere that you have rights to, like C:\StillLife, C:\Games\StillLife or in your user folder.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:56 AM   #5

Any solution yet on playing Still Life 1 on Windows 7? I know about the Windows xp mode but i cant use it because i have windows 7 home. Any patches released?
Old 02-17-2011, 04:24 PM   #6

It does run on Win7 if you follow some of the information above.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:40 PM   #7

I installed it in C: and i also have the patch but still when open it it says that i must use another version of windows, me, 2000, xp etc. A little grey box popup. And it does not let me play
Old 02-17-2011, 09:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
There are two issues with Still Life and Windows 7. If you have the Star Force version there is not much that you can do, as the version of Star Force that ships with the game will not install on Windows 7. Even if you manage to, it won't let you do the one thing that you need to to make it run on Vista/Win7, which is to set Compatibility mode to NT4. The only way to make it run on Win7 is to use the No-CD patch. Just don't ask for a link here, though. If you need a link, Google is your friend.
You didn't try this.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:37 AM   #9
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

I think I personally would just buy a downloadable version of the game from GOG or Adventure shop (and I have, but that is because I refused to keep installing Starforce on my system).

As far as I understand the GOG version does not have Starforce, and should run on all newer systems.

I understand that it's annoying to rebuy something you already bought, but I would be really scared to force Starforce onto a system it does not want to install on, when it does root and registry changes on install, and is hell to remove..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery

Last edited by Panthera; 02-18-2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
As far as I understand the GOG version does not have Starforce, and should run on all newer systems.
GOG doesn't run copy protection of any kind. I've been considering buying a new copy of Still Life from them because of this very problem. Starforce is, to the best of my knowledge, the only thing keeping the game from working properly on modern systems.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
Thanks alot. This worked perfectly for me. I have the same problem with Bioshock when I got a new computer with Win 7. I'm going to re-install and try this fix.