You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #41
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I just bought the game from the Adventure Shop a few days ago and am having the same sound and crashing problems as everyone else. It's disappointing that they continue to sell the game despite seemingly knowing that it's a faulty product, no customer should be asked to pay for something that doesn't work properly.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 01-07-2011, 04:06 PM   #42

SamandMax I feel your pain, believe me. I read somewhere online a post where someone had the same exact issue and it was dated back in April 2010 so it looks like they have been selling this product since at least then with the sound crashes. I just wish I read it before I purchased.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #43

I think what people have suggested was to install your downloadable version. Go to the folder where that is installed. With your boxed copy cd in the drive, copy only the 5 or 6 "gfx" files present on the cd to overwrite the ones within your downloadable version installed.
You don't want to copy any other files or you will have the starforce issues again.

Also, as a side note: Something to try if you don't do the above, here is the place I found the patch for starforce for Black Mirror http://www.adventurecompanygames.com...patches/bm.php
Old 01-14-2011, 09:54 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestaticon View Post
I think what people have suggested was to install your downloadable version. Go to the folder where that is installed. With your boxed copy cd in the drive, copy only the 5 or 6 "gfx" files present on the cd to overwrite the ones within your downloadable version installed.
You don't want to copy any other files or you will have the starforce issues again.
This.

Like I wrote earlier, I was able to finish the downloadable "Adventure Shop Version" of the game (without ANY further problems on Win7) when I overwrote the 6 gfx files from the download version with the ones from the official cd release. I know this is only a half-solution, but maybe you can find someone who will provide the 6 (huge) files for you... after all you've already paid for the game once!

On another note: I think the real scandal is that Adventure Shop has promised they would do something about the problem and thus far they have done NOTHING (while still earning money from a broken product for months now)!!! I wrote them and the game's publisher several emails and either never heard back or was told it's not their problem!

I was very surprised that someone here got their money back, because I was DENIED this request the last time I asked them. (Probably because they thought: well, he's got the game running now...)
Old 01-31-2011, 02:39 AM   #45

Default Black Mirror Fixed Version on Adventure Shop

Hi guys,

this might be the update you've been waiting for! I just received an email from the Adventure Shop support staff:

"In response to your query sent on 29 November 2010, please find below the requested information.

Hello,

This email is to inform you that the game Black Mirror has been re-packaged after several customers experienced sound-problems during gameplay.

We invite you to uninstall your current version of the game and re-download it using the files included in the new confirmation email we have just re-sent you.

Please report back in case the problem you have reported persists.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Happy gaming"

I will not have the opportunity to try this new version out anytime soon, but I reckon they will have sorted out the problem...
Old 01-31-2011, 03:57 AM   #46

just got my email also, what a surprise. They must have gone through the database & emailed previous purchases, as I purchased it in april 2010.
activation code no longer works...LOL

now just have to wait for a new code.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:36 AM   #47

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have received an updated downloadable package. I have not yet had the opportunity to try it out. Will let you know how it goes.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:42 AM   #48
Sik

I got the e-mail and an activation code, which was a nice surprise. Unfortunately the new version seems to have the exact same issues as the old one, at least for me. I tested looking at the stable entrance, the sound went static, and the game crashed. Of course it could be that other crashes have been removed, or I'm just having bad luck with hardware. I don't really feel like spending any more hours getting this game to work, though. Hope others have more luck with the new version.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:38 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sik View Post
I got the e-mail and an activation code, which was a nice surprise. Unfortunately the new version seems to have the exact same issues as the old one, at least for me. I tested looking at the stable entrance, the sound went static, and the game crashed. Of course it could be that other crashes have been removed, or I'm just having bad luck with hardware. I don't really feel like spending any more hours getting this game to work, though. Hope others have more luck with the new version.
don't tell me its made no difference, well the only crashes I had before were the sound issues.
"This email is to inform you that the game Black Mirror has been re-packaged after several customers experienced sound-problems during gameplay."

so what did they fix then.

the activation code they sent me was the same code.
waiting for their email with a new code.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:11 AM   #50

Oh man, i got so excited when i got that mail.

Downloaded the two images and the installer-file. Installer file said it was corrupted, downloaded again and it did not work, i used the old one i had archived with the new images.
Installed, talked to guy at the stables about the wine. CRASH.

Am i ever going to get to play this game?
Old 02-01-2011, 01:58 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demens View Post
Oh man, i got so excited when i got that mail.

Downloaded the two images and the installer-file. Installer file said it was corrupted, downloaded again and it did not work, i used the old one i had archived with the new images.
Installed, talked to guy at the stables about the wine. CRASH.

Am i ever going to get to play this game?
Are we all talking about the sound static issue or have some of us got other problems. I found by setting it to run under 98 for all the exe files I only had the sound problem.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:32 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumgas View Post
Are we all talking about the sound static issue or have some of us got other problems. I found by setting it to run under 98 for all the exe files I only had the sound problem.
I get static sound with a complete crash at certain points. Like coming from the right side entrance to the stables and from talking about wine to a certain person.

I have tried everything under the sun. 3 Different machines with WinXp and Win7 give the same results, with stuff like win98 compatibility.

Only thing that works is to turn off the sound completely from a config file before starting the game.
- But it's a kinda useless fix as you have to boot the game every time to enable and disable sounds. Also it would totally ruin the game to play it just sounds off.

Last edited by Demens; 02-01-2011 at 05:40 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demens View Post
I get static sound with a complete crash at certain points. Like coming from the right side entrance to the stables and from talking about wine to a certain person.

I have tried everything under the sun. 3 Different machines with WinXp and Win7 give the same results, with stuff like win98 compatibility.

Only thing that works is to turn off the sound completely from a config file before starting the game.
- But it's a kinda useless fix as you have to boot the game every time to enable and disable sounds. Also it would totally ruin the game to play it just sounds off.
yep thats the same sound problem all of us have been experiencing,I managed to get through the game but it was a complete nightmare.
The original download was version 2 & I am sure the starforce drivers were removed from that version but the replaced version has them back in.
this is a indication that installing on vista or win 7 will not work.
I have just received my email from the adventure shop with 3 more activations so I can finally run the game again, but it seems like it will be a waste of time. After I try it I will be emailing them again.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:17 PM   #54

installed the game & it's still the same problem, what a joke.

can everyone please email support.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #55
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Recently bought Black Mirror from Adventureshop, wanted to install and play it today, and started the setup before I remembered the new update.
Downloaded the new files, overwrote my old, installed the game, started to play, aand experienced the same sound problems you've all mentioned.
I had the static in his room, and then when I was exploring and clicked on the stables, I had the static and the game crashed.

I'm running the game on Win 7 pro 64 bit, with an integrated sound card.
My machine is completely new, I built it about a week ago, so I have all the latest drivers, and a good system.

Has anyone tried playing through the game with the sound problems and can say something about how often they occur and if it just crashes on the stable?
I want to play through it so I can play BM2, but the first static sound got me completely by surprise and made me jump (and hurt my ears) and I would like to avoid that as much as possible..
Considering getting hold of another version to try the "copy sound files" tricks.

I regret buying from adventureshop now

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 02-11-2011, 11:11 AM   #56
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

It's possible to play through the game and finish it with the sound problems, it's just really, really annoying. Save your game constantly and when you reach a point where the static shows up and crashes the game, go into the config file in the Black Mirror folder and change the sound to 0 which will disable it so you can get through any section that crashes. It's a ridiculous workaround but it's the only way I managed to get through the game. And yes, it happens throughout the entire game so get ready for a lot of loud blasts of static to make you jump.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 02-11-2011, 06:25 PM   #57
female animal lover

I got hold of another version of the game and copied the gfx files as suggested, and I can happily report that it completely fixed the problem!
I've played past the chapter 2 start, so I didn't have any hiccups there either, as some others have mentioned.

Yay! I've wanted to play through this game for ages. Lets just cross fingers and toes nothing else goes wrong..

If anyone would like the correct gfx files to be able to finish, IM me (you still have to have the rest of the (installed) game).

I hope that me offering this is not against adventuregamers guidelines? You still have to have the legally bought game to be able to use the files, so I'm not offering something illegal..?

Old 02-12-2011, 01:58 AM   #58

well I emailed support which was a complete waste of time. They asked for my direct x details which I wasn't going to waste my time giving them.
I did however download a no cd patch , replaced the exe & agds.exe set both as win 98 & have found although the sound is still corrupted the game is not crashing.

I have given up now & am waiting for the new cd which I purchased from ebay.

gfx files are quite big & need to be split to email or on a download site.
My advice to everyone is to look on ebay as there quite a few people selling new cd packs.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:52 AM   #59
female animal lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumgas View Post
gfx files are quite big & need to be split to email or on a download site.
My advice to everyone is to look on ebay as there quite a few people selling new cd packs.
I have a drop box account, and seem to be able to share a packaged archive with the files through that, so while it is big, it shouldn't be impossible to download.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:16 PM   #60

I wish you had come along before I purchased the cd.