You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General XBOX the evil machine?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2004, 05:36 AM   #61
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ3J
Sorry to bring this thread back on topic for just a moment, but I wanted to mention that the Xbox does help to perpetuate the adventure game genre. I, for one, was pleased to see titles like Syberia 1 & 2 and Broken Sword 3 appearing on the console. I am not going to risk bringing up anything about game politics, but the Xbox legitimately tried to break new ground in console gaming (with online support, voice communication, hard drive support).

Granted, the Xbox isn't the only console releasing adventure games. Farenheit, for instance, is headed for PS2 and I couldn't possibly be happier about that. But I think it's worth giving a smile and nod to Microsoft for supporting a niche genre, regardless how you feel about them otherwise.

Ok! Back to talking about tomatoes!

Cheers.
That's true. Microsoft realized with the X-Box that people like playing multiplayer a LOT more than SP. PS2 did eventually get some online support, but it came far too late to make a difference. And Nintendo seems to deny that the internet exists.

To illustrate:
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=75
Old 08-13-2004, 06:10 AM   #62

Send a message via AIM to edlglide

To be completely accurate, Dreamcast actually had online support before any other system. But I don't know if you could use it for multiplayer -- I just remember my friend being able to connect to the Internet through it.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:16 AM   #63
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlglide
To be completely accurate, Dreamcast actually had online support before any other system. But I don't know if you could use it for multiplayer -- I just remember my friend being able to connect to the Internet through it.
Phantasy Star Online ver. 1 and ver.2.

Need I say more.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:43 AM   #64
Kiss My Face

Send a message via MSN to scabb

Chu Chu Rocket was the first online game for Dreamcast, I think. I remember that Sega would send it you if you went online with your Dreamcast and filled out a form. That's the price of a local call!!!

The multiplayer was awesome, but there was also an actual single-player game in there too. Buy it for your GBA!
Old 08-14-2004, 01:22 PM   #65
Fum
Indegan Peningald

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
Yeah. And real men don't bag on other peoples PCs (I know Dell sucks. I'm thinking of getting a something else). You know if any "real men" heared you say that, they'd kick your ass. By the way, can you actually say that my PC is, in fact, "crappy"? Let's see your goddamn specs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
No one is impressed. Keep it in your pants please.
Damn, I'm guess I'm not notorious around here enough for you guys to know I'm kidding without the need for emoticons. Maybe one day.

By the way, SamNMax, since you seem to be a bit sensitive about this matter (!!!!), Dell is easily my favorite PC manufacture - for anyone I'm too lazy to custom build a PC for, I just refer them to Dell.
Old 08-14-2004, 04:20 PM   #66
How am I not myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Ok I do hate Microsoft but for a reason. I think they limit the computer industry by destroying everyone in their way and I just fear that for gaming. Remember I did not say that PS2 is superior. I just said that and I quote:
"XBOX is in no way superior than PS2". And point 3 really has a point. The only reason why DOOM3 and KOTR2 and all those other games ship on XBOX exclusively is because of Bill Gates and MS's $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Mario and Final fantasy are different than DOOM3 and HL2. The latter are PC Games to begin with and were not XBOX games. It was just to note the direction I see games going into.
Thats not true, developers publish games for the xbox because it is a superior medium in terms of graphics and sound, they have more options to play with. I don't blame them
Old 08-14-2004, 05:02 PM   #67
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Order
Thats not true, developers publish games for the xbox because it is a superior medium in terms of graphics and sound, they have more options to play with. I don't blame them
If you want to talk performance let's talk PC then. I would love to see what DOOM 3 will look like on an XBOX.

Firefox rules
Old 08-14-2004, 05:11 PM   #68
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fum
Damn, I'm guess I'm not notorious around here enough for you guys to know I'm kidding without the need for emoticons. Maybe one day.

By the way, SamNMax, since you seem to be a bit sensitive about this matter (!!!!), Dell is easily my favorite PC manufacture - for anyone I'm too lazy to custom build a PC for, I just refer them to Dell.
Nah. I only throw a pussy fit when people say that my PC sucks.

Old 08-14-2004, 05:14 PM   #69
merely human

Quote:
Oh puh-LEEZ! Get real. they do games for Xbox because it brings in the money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
I only throw a pussy fit when people say that my PC sucks.
BTW, did you know your PC sucks?

[stands back to watch the pussy fit]
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-14-2004, 07:41 PM   #70
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool
Default Hypnotoad commands you.

Quote:
Any developer would want their game to have exposure on the most mediums possible. Of course, publishers and developers also happen to like money a lot. This poses some problems. Do you want multi-platform and hopefully spur sales but not get many exclusivity benefits, or risk sales and go exclusive on one platform and get more money and support instead?

Put two and two together and what do you get? A partnership with Microsoft. They paid a lot to get Doom 3 over on Xbox (With Live support for co-op play, something that will hopefully be doubled soon in the PC version). Valve haven't officially said anything about a definitive Half-Life 2 version for Xbox, but they are certainly doing something about it. They just want to get the PC version out of the door first. Microsoft, again, probably paid loads of money to secure exclusivity for Xbox.

These two games are milestones in PC gaming, and they are best represented on Xbox, even if the graphical flair will not transfer over fully.

Buy The Most Excellently Awesome Game Psychonauts For Xbox Or PC.

Last edited by Royal Fool; 08-14-2004 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Err.... nothing.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:01 PM   #71
i'm with... <thud>

Default hiccups for miyamoto

after consuming a case of beer and being exposed to paint fumes for 24 hours, i predict that nintendo will get its hand out of its collective pocket, stop playing with its game boy, and again reign supreme in the console video game industry...so all discussion of Microsoft and Sony will soon be brushed aside...NINTENDO - the wave of the future
Old 08-19-2004, 12:21 PM   #72
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by log p
after consuming a case of beer and being exposed to paint fumes for 24 hours, i predict that nintendo will get its hand out of its collective pocket, stop playing with its game boy, and again reign supreme in the console video game industry...so all discussion of Microsoft and Sony will soon be brushed aside...NINTENDO - the wave of the future
eeem, you need to stay away from beer man
Old 08-19-2004, 12:34 PM   #73
i'm with... <thud>

yoshi was what ruined nintendo, man...yoshi totally ****ed the Big N...yoshi and cartridges...but mostly yoshi
Old 08-19-2004, 12:46 PM   #74
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by log p
yoshi was what ruined nintendo, man...yoshi totally ****ed the Big N...yoshi and cartridges...but mostly yoshi
Except that the game Yoshi for the Game Boy rocked. At least it did when I played it, when I was about 10.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:55 PM   #75
SamNMax

No. I'm pretty sure that Nintendo's incompetants ****eded the big N.

Quote:
yoshi and cartridges
Well, I don't know. I kinda like cartridges. I mean, no load times...

Last edited by SamNMax; 08-19-2004 at 01:02 PM.

Old 08-19-2004, 01:58 PM   #76
Barroom hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fool
You have to be careful, don't drop it on your kids.

Stupid inane jokes aside, Xbox is superior to PS2. Maybe not the library or industry support, but I'll be damned... I play my Xbox a whole lot more than my PS2. And that's enough for me.

Actually, I play my GameCube a lot more than my PS2, too. Oh well.

Yes, so let's blame Microsoft for Netscape's marketing mistakes.
XBox is MUCH superior than PS2 from a raw technical point of view (no comparison possible) AND a library and tools point of view (I am a developer so I know ).
MS does the best for its developers with good tools and documentations whereas Sony's libs and samples are VERY basic.

And Sony is very conservative with its approvals (don't know YET about MS )
Old 08-19-2004, 02:00 PM   #77
SamNMax

*Claps hands*

Old 08-20-2004, 07:35 AM   #78
Kiss My Face

Send a message via MSN to scabb

Yoshi? Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island was excellent, and those puzzle games weren't bad either. Although he is annoying in Super Mario Sunshine and Smash Bros.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:47 AM   #79
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

Yoshi's Island (SNES, GBA) is one of the best platform games ever. Cutesy graphics but the gameplay is very good and it's also really hard at some points.

Sadly, Yoshi's Story (N64) wasn't nearly as good.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:57 AM   #80
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fool
Yoshi's Island (SNES, GBA) is one of the best platform games ever. Cutesy graphics but the gameplay is very good and it's also really hard at some points.
I agree on Yoshi's Island. (Got it on an emulator. ) The egg-throwing aspect of it was a real refreshing change from jumping on enemies' heads.

And what are you talking about Yoshi being annoying in Smash Brothers, scabb? Next to Pikachu, he was one of the most satisfying characters to beat up on!