You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General XBOX the evil machine?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2004, 11:25 AM   #101
i'm with... <thud>

if only...nico would never go on an adventure with will wright
Old 08-20-2004, 09:26 PM   #102
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by log p
im a little disappointed that you cant have your own children in fable anymore and you cant swim but then again im a freak for the little things
The game also used to feature child-killing... there was a screenshot where the main hero was sticking a sword through some kid's head, kinda nasty. I think it was pulled shortly after the feature was removed. I can't seem to dig up that screenshot; pity, it was so funny.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:50 PM   #103
merely human

Interesting. Obvious why they yanked it, but I can't help thinking how that could easily severely affect your hero's standing in the story. Child killing, being seen as one of the very worst breaches of humanity, could spread news about you throughout the land like wildfire. In the next village you go people may recognize you out of hearsay and immediately lock themselves and their children up. Then all the able bodied men would come after you. There may even be clans organized to hunt you down, bounty hunters sent after you, and so forth, and the game would have it so that that part of your reputation would never, ever be forgotten. Would you kill a child in this game if it were possible?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-20-2004, 10:18 PM   #104
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Child killing, being seen as one of the very worst breaches of humanity, could spread news about you throughout the land like wildfire. In the next village you go people may recognize you out of hearsay and immediately lock themselves and their children up. Then all the able bodied men would come after you. There may even be clans organized to hunt you down, bounty hunters sent after you, and so forth, and the game would have it so that that part of your reputation would never, ever be forgotten.
Exactly, this raises some interesting questions about the freedom of the game, they certainly have had to remove some big things that was originally in the design concepts, like mountable horses, female player character, killing/having children and the world around you aging along with your own character (Now only the most important NPCs will age).

I'm sure Fable will be an excellent game though; it will likely live up to it's promises and potential unlike Black & White.

Quote:
Would you kill a child in this game if it were possible?
Yes, I would likely try it if I was trying to make an evil character. Morality isn't an issue for me in games.

I found the picture and have put it online, but I'll just link to it so that people won't have to look at it if they choose not to since this is a delicate subject. It isn't gory though.

www.islandia.is/gunnarv/stuffz/fable_kiddyfuntime.jpg
Old 08-20-2004, 10:35 PM   #105
merely human

I think it would have been great if that option had been left intact, but that your warrior will always have that come back to him to deal with, whether its the 24/7 dread of someone out to kill him for the murder of the child, even years and years later, and perhaps by another avenging warrior who may even be more powerful than your own, or the player's own conscience irked by the constant reminders, like going back to that village and seeing a stone memorial for the innocent child, and tales of how he had been butchered by an evil powerful warrior type for no apparent reason. It would be cool, because it'll truly make you think about the degrees of consequences of your actions.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-21-2004, 08:10 AM   #106
i'm with... <thud>

well...it doesnt matter to me if you can off a child or not...it is obvious why they took it out and although i get what you're saying about how it could be viewed in the game world as the ultimate travesty, i really dont think it will matter that much...im wondering if gay marriage is still in the game...originally it was...and if it still is and it releases in the u.s. like this, fable may become the pet peeve (i.e. favorite topic) of every hateful televangelist in the nation...talk about every action having a consequence!!!
Old 08-21-2004, 08:44 AM   #107
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
well...it doesnt matter to me if you can off a child or not...it is obvious why they took it out and although i get what you're saying about how it could be viewed in the game world as the ultimate travesty, i really dont think it will matter that much...im wondering if gay marriage is still in the game...originally it was...and if it still is and it releases in the u.s. like this, fable may become the pet peeve (i.e. favorite topic) of every hateful televangelist in the nation...talk about every action having a consequence!!!
Yeah, but it would also get a lot of free publicity out of that

(and p.s., I hope it is still in there)
Old 08-21-2004, 12:38 PM   #108
merely human

Quote:
...im wondering if gay marriage is still in the game...originally it was...and if it still is and it releases in the u.s. like this, fable may become the pet peeve (i.e. favorite topic) of every hateful televangelist in the nation...
....and the favourite pet of every liberal gamer. 8-)
Old 08-23-2004, 05:51 AM   #109
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Interesting. Obvious why they yanked it, but I can't help thinking how that could easily severely affect your hero's standing in the story. Child killing, being seen as one of the very worst breaches of humanity, could spread news about you throughout the land like wildfire. In the next village you go people may recognize you out of hearsay and immediately lock themselves and their children up. Then all the able bodied men would come after you. There may even be clans organized to hunt you down, bounty hunters sent after you, and so forth, and the game would have it so that that part of your reputation would never, ever be forgotten. Would you kill a child in this game if it were possible?
"We're not safe until he's dead!"

"He'll come stalking us at night!"

"Set to sacrifice our children to his monstrous appetite!"

"He'll wreak havoc on our village if we let him wander free!"

"So it's time to take some action, boys.
It's time to follow meeeeee!"
Old 08-23-2004, 07:06 AM   #110
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
"We're not safe until he's dead!"

"He'll come stalking us at night!"

"Set to sacrifice our children to his monstrous appetite!"

"He'll wreak havoc on our village if we let him wander free!"

"So it's time to take some action, boys.
It's time to follow meeeeee!"
Please tell me you had to look that up...
Old 08-23-2004, 08:26 AM   #111
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
Please tell me you had to look that up...
To find a few specific words, yeah, but otherwise, not really. I had the gist of it in my head. I just didn't want people correcting me, so I wanted to make sure I had it exactly.

But my point was that playing a Beast-like character would be awesome. That is, tearing the mob limb from limb, but being nice to little children and kittens.

As far as killing children goes, that's a HUGE taboo no matter what medium you're in. Macbeth was shocking when it was first performed because Macduff's son is killed onstage. (Even now, some productions put that offstage.)

Rockstar, for instance, originally wanted to put children in Vice City, walking with their parents and such. But then they realized that if there were children in Vice City, then you could KILL children in Vice City, so that promptly got the axe, so to speak.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:43 PM   #112
SamNMax

You know what I can't stand? When a thread goes to shit and focuses on an inane topic.

Old 08-23-2004, 01:38 PM   #113
i'm with... <thud>

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
You know what I can't stand? When a thread goes to shit and focuses on an inane topic.
a thread about a game console being evil has begun with shit and just returned to its origins in the cyclical scheme of things
Old 08-23-2004, 08:02 PM   #114
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
This thread's already like, 6 pages long. I think it would be even sadder if we were still on the SAME topic without any deviation. It's the natural progression of conversation. I don't see what's wrong with it.

If a thread went off topic on the first page, sure, but by this point, I think deviation is fair game.