You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General XBOX the evil machine?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2004, 10:32 AM   #21
Homer of Kittens

Ok ok I just opened a portal to another galaxy or a can of worms Wow so many XBOX supporters here... I should take it up in slash-dot where I would get the nerdy support I need Anywho I hate Microsoft for the sole reason that they crush competition in an illegal way, and they have enough money to settle afterwards in courts. IE was NOT a better product than netscape. Actually netscape 3 was far better than IE 2. It just happened that Netscape charged for theirs whereas you got yours installed for free bundled with any new computer you buy. Then they had the nerve to even include it as part of the OS. Then they had that small thing with Java where your IE browser would not work with sun's javascript but understands Microsoft's version.

And Microsoft products are superior? Do you know how many patches I have installed for Windows XP?

Firefox rules
Old 08-11-2004, 10:35 AM   #22
Friendly Server Admin

See, now you're moving away from your original argument and trying to use Windows as an example even though it's totally unrelated to the Xbox.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:45 AM   #23
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

You have to be careful, don't drop it on your kids.

Stupid inane jokes aside, Xbox is superior to PS2. Maybe not the library or industry support, but I'll be damned... I play my Xbox a whole lot more than my PS2. And that's enough for me.

Actually, I play my GameCube a lot more than my PS2, too. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Actually netscape 3 was far better than IE 2. It just happened that Netscape charged for theirs whereas you got yours installed for free bundled with any new computer you buy.
Yes, so let's blame Microsoft for Netscape's marketing mistakes.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:50 AM   #24
Escaped Monkey Island

I think soccerdude is one of those angry mac-owning people who don't have an extensive amount of software options.
Anyways, all of this monopoly talk reminds me of the early days of Nintendo who, lets not forget, had probably the biggest monopoly in video game history during the 80s. This is just a reaccuring thing that we'll see from time to time. heck, if i had a company...i'd probably want a monopoly also...they just see it as more profit.
both xbox and ps2 are great machines with different qualities that make them good. and in the midst of ongoing video game competition, there are always going to be ongoing fights for licenses, games, ideas, etc.
can't we all just get along.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:56 AM   #25
SamNMax

Quote:
Well SONY doesn't have a reputation of putting companies out of business by any means possible. Netscape anybody?
Microsoft got to the top and put a few companys to sleep by being the best. How can you hate a company for that?

Quote:
and I know DOOM 3 and HL2 and KOTR were released for PC. But how come they are not "PLANNED" to be released for PS2? Will they ever be? What will people who solely own a PS2 do? Will they break under the pressure that XBOX offers what PS2 doesn't and buy an XBOX? Not everyone who owns a PS2 owns an NVIDIA 6800 or the latest ATI to play PC Games.
Why the hell are you argueing anyway? You want to play DOOM3 but have an obselete PC? That sounds pretty dumb. Why do you think it's evil just that Microsoft is the better marketers? I think you desperatly want to play DOOM3 and Knights2, but you have a crappy PC and don't have an Xbox, so you just take your anger out on Xbox. Nice.
And by the way, how come MarioKart: DD! wasn't realesed for the PS2? Will it ever be? What will people who soley own a PS2 do? Will they break under the pressure that Gamecube offers what PS2 doesn't and buy a Gamecube?

Last edited by SamNMax; 08-11-2004 at 11:10 AM.

Old 08-11-2004, 11:13 AM   #26

Microsoft are starting to make the ties between Xbox and PC stronger, which is good in some ways. MSN Messenger now supports Xbox Live accounts, for example. Their XNA development platform will naturally only support Windows, Xbox and mobile devices using Microsoft's OS, but nevertheless it's going to make the games all the better because of it. Use an Xbox controller for your PC, play PC games online with Xbox players, new controller periperhals that developers might want to make available (Like the ill-fated Steel Battalion controller) and much more.

Of coursyou could classify this as monopolization. But it's also great for consumers.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:29 AM   #27

Is it ok that I don't care about things like what company is more evil or what system is more powerful? I just want to have a good time playing the games I like to play. Is there something wrong with me?
As a young boy, when you get splashed by a mud puddle on the way to school, you wonder if you should go home and change, but be late for school, or go to school the way you are; dirty and soaking wet. Well, while he tried to decide, I drove by and splashed him again.
- Jack Handey
Old 08-11-2004, 12:27 PM   #28
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco2.5
Is it ok that I don't care about things like what company is more evil or what system is more powerful? I just want to have a good time playing the games I like to play. Is there something wrong with me?
Pfft... Jerk.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:33 PM   #29
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
Microsoft got to the top and put a few companys to sleep by being the best. How can you hate a company for that?

Why the hell are you argueing anyway? You want to play DOOM3 but have an obselete PC? That sounds pretty dumb. Why do you think it's evil just that Microsoft is the better marketers? I think you desperatly want to play DOOM3 and Knights2, but you have a crappy PC and don't have an Xbox, so you just take your anger out on Xbox. Nice.
And by the way, how come MarioKart: DD! wasn't realesed for the PS2? Will it ever be? What will people who soley own a PS2 do? Will they break under the pressure that Gamecube offers what PS2 doesn't and buy a Gamecube?
Dude don't hypothesize about what I have and what I don't. My PC is probably a gazillion times better than yours coz I payed a hefty some to upgrade it and I've already played DOOM 3 and Knights 2 . And just for the records I can afford buying a 100 XBOX'es. I'm arguing because I am scared for the future of gaming when one company takes full control of the industry. Competition is good for any industry not only games and software. That is why ani-trust laws were created. To protect the consumer not the corporation.

Quote:
Why do you say it is the best? Can you be more specific? If they ripped off a PC which is far more superior, to make a PC-like console, then how is that superior?

Firefox rules
Old 08-11-2004, 12:48 PM   #30
No justice. Only me.

What "dirty" business practices did Microsoft use to put Netscape out of business? They included IE for free with Windows? Well guess what, people, it's THEIR operating system. They can include whatever the F*CK they want with it, because it's theirs to work with. So Netscape was better? Well it obviously wasn't enough to persuade people to buy it when they already had IE. What that meant was that Netscape just had to work harder to compete. And they didn't, so they went bankrupt. Just the nature of capitalism, guys. It's been around for centuries.

And so you're still downloading patches for Windows XP? Guess what, hackers are going to be around for a long time. They've got time and ingenuity to find holes in anything, no matter how much foresight a programmer may have. Those patches are protecting your computer, and for the most part you don't even notice the difference once you install them. Windows Update isn't hard to use, in any case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
Let us not forget the example of Harbucks Coffee vs. Tweak's Coffee
I use that as a business model. Everyone likes to support the little guy, but it ain't always so.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:04 PM   #31
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Dude don't hypothesize about what I have and what I don't. My PC is probably a gazillion times better than yours coz I payed a hefty some to upgrade it and I've already played DOOM 3 and Knights 2 . And just for the records I can afford buying a 100 XBOX'es.
Well, I'm impressed. Now that I know you're rich, I totally agree with all your arguments!

(Helpful hint for the future: That sort of thing is likely to get people to actually respect your opinion *less*, which is probably the opposite of what you want)

Quote:
I'm arguing because I am scared for the future of gaming when one company takes full control of the industry. Competition is good for any industry not only games and software. That is why ani-trust laws were created. To protect the consumer not the corporation.
You still haven't shown that Microsoft in any way dominates the game industry. In fact, as far as I know (without actually looking it up) they have the smallest market share when it comes to the Big Three consoles.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:23 PM   #32
Homer of Kittens

Alright I give up...*Sigh* You guys win. I need a full time job to reply to everyone here about this issue. I just don't want games to be monopolized because that is bad for the industry we all like. I was just curious about what people thought, and they have pretty high regards towards the XBOX (and some not all towards MS).

Firefox rules
Old 08-11-2004, 01:33 PM   #33
SamNMax

Quote:
Dude don't hypothesize about what I have and what I don't. My PC is probably a gazillion times better than yours coz I payed a hefty some to upgrade it
Ha.
•Intel P4 Processor @ 3.0 GHz with HT Technology
•ATI Radeon 9800
•1 GB RAM
•Audigy Sound Blaster 2
•80 GB HDD @ 7200 RPM
•Windows XP Home
•Dell 1800FP Flat-Screen Monitor
•Logitech Z-640 Speakers
•Logitech MX510 Mouse

I think you should shut up now.

Old 08-11-2004, 02:09 PM   #34

Send a message via AIM to edlglide

I don't like the Xbox -- I absolutely hate the controller, and the PS2 has a far greater number of good games. But that doesn't mean it isn't technically superior to the PS2, because it most certainly is. I still think the PS2 is the better system because of the game library, which is all that really matters........but they had an advantage in that department. In any case, it's silly to argue about something like this.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:13 PM   #35

I agree with you, I don't like the x-box either but I do like ps2.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:29 PM   #36
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco2.5
There certainly is. Become bitter and cynical immediately.

Quote:
I was just curious about what people thought, and they have pretty high regards towards the XBOX (and some not all towards MS).
I'm sure a lot of us have gripes with Microsoft products, but we're not gonna dislike the Xbox on principle.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:27 PM   #37
delusions of adequacy

Congratulations on already playing Doom 3 (and Knights 2 somehow). Playing the latest games (and even pre-release code) on a bitching PC system running Microsoft Windows XP with all the latest patches. It's great to see you not willing to sell out just to play the latest... games... Oh...

PC? Microsoft Windows? Latest Game/Illegal software? Damn, ethical stance wavering... just a minute here... go watch some PS2 advertising people then you can conform with me! All is made clear...

"So Get on Board... Lil' children, Get on Board... Lil' Children, there's room for millions more."

Ok what where we talking about? Oh yeah IE might not have been a superior product but it became a standard (yikes), and regardless of how they did it, it was something sorely needed on the internet. Nutscrape might have been superior in your opinion if slow performance bloatware is your idea of superior. I have always tended to avoid either of them as browsers unless absolutely necessary.

So yeah thats why I prefer Ovaltine to nesquick.
>

Last edited by Crunchy in milk; 08-11-2004 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:32 PM   #38

I prefer Coke to Pepsi. So ha!
Old 08-11-2004, 06:36 PM   #39
merely human

8-) Ovaltine rocks!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-11-2004, 08:31 PM   #40
Fum
Indegan Peningald

Quote:
Ha.
Dell? ...Pussy. Real men build their own rigs.