You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Any adventuresque RPGs? (beside Torment)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2007, 05:18 PM   #21
DAVE

Icewind Dale is, according to most reviewers, a pain to understand if you're not into the whole D&D deal. And has a hard start. I'd stay away from it too. Maybe, if you're not disgusted by the graphics, you could try Daggerfall as well. I know I'm only recommending TES games but god damn morrowind is AWESOME
Old 09-10-2007, 05:38 AM   #22

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Yup. All the games on my list do not have the same quality, and considering they are old and long it's good to check the reviews on a site like www.gamerankings.com
Old 09-11-2007, 12:35 PM   #23
Freeware Co-ordinator

Follow up to the NWN module recommendation this is a nice little story-based campaign (with a sense of humour and a sequel campaign if you like this one)

But if you want something darker then I've just finished this by the same author. Wonderful piece of work. So much so that I started into the sequel (which has a very nice opening section) almost straight away.

If you get the NWN bug from these then I'm sure there are plenty of people able to recommend other modules and other authors around here. I know these forums house a few other fans of the game.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 09-12-2007, 09:01 AM   #24

Fallout games, especially Fallout (the first one) can be played like an adventure game. If you have high enough intelligence and persusion you can finish the game without ever shooting a single shot. Verny nice touch, I think.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:33 PM   #25
Cheese Pants King

Send a message via Yahoo to Endosanity

I didn't like Arcanum at all. I thought the combat system was horrid (what is the point of magik when you can run up and punch the guy in the face before a spell can be cast?), the story unimpressive, and there are a few game breaking bugs even after the patches. And the music was kind of grating.

But I did get a kick out of the game as I played as an ogre with an itelligence of 1, exploited the hell out of items in the game, beat the crap out of everybody, then won the game by being super evil. I thought that was funny as hell, then I sold the game dirt cheap because I knew I'd never touch it again.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:02 PM   #26

Try Fable.

http://www.firingsquad.com/media/gallery_index.asp/23

There's a great story, beautiful graphics and non-linear gaming all around.
There are even several endings, and you get to choose throughout the game
weather you'll be a good guy or farmer's worst nightmare.

Gothic is also great, but Fable is way better.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:36 PM   #27
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endosanity View Post
I didn't like Arcanum at all. I thought the combat system was horrid (what is the point of magik when you can run up and punch the guy in the face before a spell can be cast?), the story unimpressive, and there are a few game breaking bugs even after the patches. And the music was kind of grating.
Were you playing in real time combat mode or turn based? Real time was raw and difficult to balance even on machines at the time of the release, it is absolutely pointless to try real time mode on modern machines with their faster clock speeds.

In turn based mode its actually a rather good combat system. Not the most polished but one of the few to implement 'backstab' properly...

The story is weak but the setting is exceptional, a shame more wasn't done with it really, the manual is a joy to read. The number of steampunk theme games is far too thin on the ground.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:48 PM   #28
MoP
Comfortably Numb

Aye, don't even think about RT combat in Arcanum
I found TB quite enjoyable in both Fallout and Arcanum, but that's definitely not the feature BI/Troika games are renowned for (apart from maybe Temple of Elemental Evil). The writing, original settings and abundance of alternative paths and solutions more than make up for the sometimes "unpolished" gameplay in my book.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:00 PM   #29
I am the murderer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbert View Post
I didn't suggest Oblivion
I know. I suggested Oblivion. Ha. Sorry about the computer specs. My computer isn't great and it can play it. Not on the highest settings, of course, but it makes due.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:31 PM   #30
Cheese Pants King

Send a message via Yahoo to Endosanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk View Post
Were you playing in real time combat mode or turn based? Real time was raw and difficult to balance even on machines at the time of the release, it is absolutely pointless to try real time mode on modern machines with their faster clock speeds.

In turn based mode its actually a rather good combat system. Not the most polished but one of the few to implement 'backstab' properly...

The story is weak but the setting is exceptional, a shame more wasn't done with it really, the manual is a joy to read. The number of steampunk theme games is far too thin on the ground.
It was turn-based. I guess that my complaint with the combat system is that it seemed like a lot of work went into it but if all the magik, mechanics, and special abilities can be countered a by a fist in the face then everything else just seemed pointless. I was usually able to take out a few guys per round. That's just my opinion though, oh well, some people loved the game and the music.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:32 AM   #31
Schättenjager

If you both enjoyed Psychonauts and Beyond Good and Evil try
American Mcgees Scrapland.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:37 PM   #32

I would just like to thank you all for the wonderful suggestions. After some research, I have drafted a short list of games that will surely make me happy. Thanks for guiding me in the unknown territory of RPGs.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:24 AM   #33
is not wierd

What's the list?
Old 09-19-2007, 11:57 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak View Post
What's the list?
OK, my short list would be:
  • For sure: Vampire TM - Bloodlines, Anachronox.
  • Perhaps: Fallout series, Arcanum, Gothic series, Deus Ex
  • No-no: Oblivion, Morrowind, Icewind Dale
This is of course based on
  • the time I have had to do look around the web (not much, I still need to research some promising games)
  • the available time I have to play (again, not much), and
  • my particular tastes.
When this thread had started I realized what I wanted was a great story, like what you get in a good novel. This is explains why I am not interested in some games like Oblivion which are surely great in some other ways. For example, I still cannot see how to develop an engrossing story within an "open" world. The later is certainly appealing, but I just want to be told a good story.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:37 AM   #35
Vigilant

Sounds like a good start! You will certainly have a story experience right out of a novel if you begin with your choices on the list. Remember, take your time with these games because the first time around is always the most magical time. If you are interested in a natural experience, as hard as the temptation might be, try to avoid the walkthrough to these games to make the game feel spontaneous and exciting. I hope you don't take my comments as patronistic, but rather as a congratulations that you chose your list well; many of us here in these forums just wish they could be playing their favorite games for the first time and hope you have the kind of experience they did.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:27 PM   #36
DAVE

Don't put Deus Ex in the maybe bin, it's an awesome game and it should be mandatory to play it at least once in your life.

Anyway I'm open to suggestions too, keeping in mind I can't play really fancy games. I'd say games that came out after 2004 are right out of question. Bloody Athlon XP...
Old 09-22-2007, 05:05 AM   #37
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoP View Post
Lionhearts combat on the other hand is pretty damn irritating, a shame too - the setting looked interesting, some cool ideas, but the gameplay rendered it unplayable for me.
I'm currently playing this now, the gameplay can be frustrating but I wouldn't call it unplayable. The spell and skill system is VERY basic (few options, and little development) while the gameplay is punishing and forces you to be quite intimate with how to build a character that can survive. Add to this, certain spell schools are pure crap (90% of the necromancy tree for example) and you can easily find yourself wondering why you're bothering while playing a pants character.

The easiest character to build seems to be a fighter/mage or shooter/mage. You still need to be careful with stats and traits though. Thankfully there's some good guides on gamefaqs.

I went hours just killing things and picking up new gear just like a Diablo clone before finally picking a guild and starting the 'story' proper. Its not been a memorable experience but with the right character its a passable one.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:10 AM   #38

There are so many exceptional games out there now (new and old, indie and mainstream) that I wonder why anyone would still suffer through hours of 'passable'... Unless a game has other redeeming qualities that elevate it far above its lesser moments I don't see the point.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:21 AM   #39
Vigilant

I agree with you. Although, I have been known to play a game just to check it off on a list. Some games that I play come up in conversation so much that I feel obligated to give it a go in order to contribute to a discussion.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:40 AM   #40

I don't agree with the Icewind Dale games being a no-no. First, they let you create your entire party. If you buy Icewind Dale 1+ Heart of Winter+ download Trials of the Luremaster and Icewind Dale 2, you're in for a real treat, I'd say

I agree, however, with the list that hasVampire TM:Bloodlines, Arcanum, Fallout games, Anachronox, Gothic series, Deus Ex, and would just like to add
Planescape: Torment to this list

As for Lionheart, I think this could have been a really great game, if it hadn't been for the annoying, hard & frustrating combat. I have tried both the demo & the full game. I have troubles fighting the bees? in the game. There were way too many of them for a level 1 character. On top of that you can't pause the like you can in all other Infinity Engine games. Oh, wait, you can, but just to drink potions and such. Unfortunately, this doesn't mean much as the wolfes etc. hit you really hard, again to much for a level 1 character, I think.

It is pretty clear to me that the developer of this game, Reflexive Entertainment, thought they were meant to make a sort of arcade game, with some stats, dialogues, character creation, character development etc. thrown in for good measure. [Reflexive Entertainment makes arcade type games]. Or maybe the publisher Black Isle/Interplay wanted an arcade type like action game? because they thought that it would generate quick money?

What Black Isle/Interplay apparently failed to realize is that games build with the Infinity Engine have a reputation for beiing high quality rpgs, not action arcade adventures in which your goal is to be fighting and slaying as many enimies and monsters as possible. Infinity Engine games also were highly praised for their ability to let you have a party. This fine thing also were stripped from Lionheart - for reasons best known to Black Isle.

Maybe they thought people wanted to play an action game, since action games in 2002-2003 were being really popular. However, if people wanted to play a 'real' action game, they would probably rather play Halo 1, Half-Life 1 or any of the FPS games, released in 2002-2003.