View Single Post
Old 09-23-2007, 02:40 AM   #40
aries323

I don't agree with the Icewind Dale games being a no-no. First, they let you create your entire party. If you buy Icewind Dale 1+ Heart of Winter+ download Trials of the Luremaster and Icewind Dale 2, you're in for a real treat, I'd say

I agree, however, with the list that hasVampire TM:Bloodlines, Arcanum, Fallout games, Anachronox, Gothic series, Deus Ex, and would just like to add
Planescape: Torment to this list

As for Lionheart, I think this could have been a really great game, if it hadn't been for the annoying, hard & frustrating combat. I have tried both the demo & the full game. I have troubles fighting the bees? in the game. There were way too many of them for a level 1 character. On top of that you can't pause the like you can in all other Infinity Engine games. Oh, wait, you can, but just to drink potions and such. Unfortunately, this doesn't mean much as the wolfes etc. hit you really hard, again to much for a level 1 character, I think.

It is pretty clear to me that the developer of this game, Reflexive Entertainment, thought they were meant to make a sort of arcade game, with some stats, dialogues, character creation, character development etc. thrown in for good measure. [Reflexive Entertainment makes arcade type games]. Or maybe the publisher Black Isle/Interplay wanted an arcade type like action game? because they thought that it would generate quick money?

What Black Isle/Interplay apparently failed to realize is that games build with the Infinity Engine have a reputation for beiing high quality rpgs, not action arcade adventures in which your goal is to be fighting and slaying as many enimies and monsters as possible. Infinity Engine games also were highly praised for their ability to let you have a party. This fine thing also were stripped from Lionheart - for reasons best known to Black Isle.

Maybe they thought people wanted to play an action game, since action games in 2002-2003 were being really popular. However, if people wanted to play a 'real' action game, they would probably rather play Halo 1, Half-Life 1 or any of the FPS games, released in 2002-2003.