Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Any adventuresque RPGs? (beside Torment) (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/20848-any-adventuresque-rpgs-beside-torment.html)

Periglo 09-06-2007 05:31 AM

Any adventuresque RPGs? (beside Torment)

Hi everyone,

I just finished Planescape Torment, and found it quite impressive. It seems this game is well known for some touches of adventure, in particular the very strong main storyline. Even if it's not my favourite genre, I am more than open to playing RPGs if they have such a good plot as Torment. So, any suggestions?

(BTW: the same applies to the action genre: I enjoyed Psychonauts, and I know Beyond Good and Evil is a game to try in this regard.)

MdaG 09-06-2007 07:42 AM

I found Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 + expansions to be quite good. They're not as adventureque as Torment, but still heavy on the story. Other games are Deus Ex, Outcast and Omikron - Nomad Soul.

Crunchy in milk 09-06-2007 08:16 AM

Another rpg that gets nods from adventure gamers is Anachronox.

The story is excellent (its got punch and is cinematically delivered), especially some of the more 'unique' characters.

Its not a completely fun ride though, you have to be able to stomach the battle system which is dyed in the wold "Japanese RPG" fare. By that I mean you wait around a lot for the pretty animations every single round, over and over, your guys, theirs, again and again.

The animations are quite fun to start with but by their very 'in your face' frequency you will always be itching for the next skill/weapon upgrade both for a new animation to (briefly) break the monotony and to quench your desire for faster battles. Set it on easy difficulty, the story is worth the slog alone.

I would also recommend cheating for the sake of the 'character panel' debugger. Its basically the same as party management in Knights of the Old Republic. A very easy to use graphical interface to swap party members in and out of the 2 (you and 2 tag alongs) slots as and when you want to, rather than backtracking across planets just to change your guys... it seems like a feature that got cut its so easy to use. You only really need to do this late in the game though.

I played Anachronox for the first time earlier this year twice in a row back to back and am already starting to itch for another playthrough.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...onoxBricks.jpg

stepurhan 09-06-2007 08:39 AM

I second the recommendation for Anachronox. Definitely worth the entrance fee (though you might need to search out the patches. If I can find the links I'll post them)

The character panel management tool sounds useful. There is a section of the game where you get different quests based on your companions but the part you had to replay to change companions was too long to make it a save beforehand and quick changeover option. Sounds like this would get around that.

TangentBlack 09-06-2007 12:08 PM

I third the Anachronox recommendation. Seek out my threads if you want to know more about the game or if you have other questions feel free to ask in this one. Many RPG's have adventure elements in them and it is often the case that you can't find RPG without adventure.

MoriartyL 09-06-2007 12:37 PM

I'd say Riviera (for handheld systems). It hasn't got much of a plot, or at least not a memorable one (I don't remember it.). But the part of the gameplay that's for the fiction side of the game (wandering around, character interaction) is the most classical-adventure-ish fiction gameplay I've ever played through in an RPG. I'm not sure why that's a big deal, but there you have it.

TheZodiacSpeaking 09-06-2007 12:47 PM

Oblivion is a straight RPG, but you can wander all over investigating all kinds of places and having conversations with people and doing just about whatever you feel like. I think it's the best RPG of all time and I know a lot of people agree.
I think that if you like RPGs at all you should give that one a try. It's not much on the story (in my opinion) but there is so much to do. You don't have to follow the main plot. There is so much to do in it that if you don't feel like messing with the main quest you never have to. Just ride around talking to people and collecting quests and working your way up through the ranks of various guilds and things.

Periglo 09-07-2007 03:27 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will have a look (there are nice pages on wikipedia for each of them). I forgot to mention I am primarily interested in story line, so I'll begin checking Anachronox. I find the usual RPG gameplay a bit distracting (with all the quests and branching), but then again I am not too happy with the usual AG gameplay either...

MoriartyL 09-07-2007 04:22 AM

So why are you babbling about "adventuresqueness"? Just ask for RPGs with good stories!

Periglo 09-07-2007 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoriartyL (Post 438306)
So why are you babbling about "adventuresqueness"? Just ask for RPGs with good stories!

OK, my bad. It's just taking me some time to realize it was not the genre of AGs that attracted me as such, only the good stories and dialogs one may find in them .

Aj_ 09-07-2007 07:57 AM

Fallout, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, plenty of story and dialogue elements that surpass most Adventure Games.

Catbert 09-07-2007 08:27 AM

I've been playing Morrowind lately and have been loving it. I like how you have to dialogue around but it's also stat influenced, not just a simple choice of what to ask. Some characters like you and others don't. Plus you get to fight! A+ in my book :P

TheZodiacSpeaking 09-07-2007 10:50 AM

Catbert, Oblivion is the sequel to Morrowind. Well, not really sequel I suppose, but the next in the Elderscrolls. You might want to try it when you're done with Morrowind. Both are excellent, though I found Oblivion more enjoyable.
Morrowind is definitely a great suggestion.

Spiwak 09-09-2007 06:40 AM

Definitely the Fallout series, Arcanum, Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines.

I wouldn't say the Elder Scrolls series is known for its stories. Not in the Planescape: Torment sense.

JemyM 09-09-2007 06:42 AM

All the following games pack dialogue and personal choices.

All RPG's from Bioware, Black Isle, Obsidian and Troika are worth looking at. Some of them are weaker than the rest but still better than average of what you can find out there.

Black Isle
Planescape Torment
Baldurs Gate series
Icewind Dale series
Lionheart
Fallout series

Bioware
Knights of the Old Republic
Neverwinter Nights Expansions, Shadows of Undrentide & Hordes of the Underdark (not the main campaign)
Jade Empire

Obsidian
Knights of the Old Republic II
Neverwinter Nights II

Troika
Arcanum
Temple of Elemental Evil
Vampire: Bloodlines

Besides thoose companies you can look at the Gothic series that manages to be what Morrowind/Oblivion never was, a free-roaming experience that is still a real storydriven adventure.

Dungeon Siege 1 is a very weak game, but Dungeon Siege II is quite good, if you can get beyond the action you will find a game packed with content.
Divine Divinity is also a great game that hit 90-95% average in reviews but still few have played it (unfortunally).

Deus Ex does offer a rather unique adventure/rpg experience even if it by first glance is a FPS. If you try it, do not give up until the 2nd level, Deus Ex contains what might be one of the best told stories ever made in a computer RPG.

Spiwak 09-09-2007 06:48 AM

Yea, what this guy ^ said.

Catbert 09-09-2007 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheZodiacSpeaking (Post 438361)
Catbert, Oblivion is the sequel to Morrowind. Well, not really sequel I suppose, but the next in the Elderscrolls. You might want to try it when you're done with Morrowind. Both are excellent, though I found Oblivion more enjoyable.
Morrowind is definitely a great suggestion.

I didn't suggest Oblivion, which I'd love to try out, because none of the three computers I've got at home come near the minimum specs for it ;)

Ninja Dodo 09-09-2007 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JemyM (Post 438689)
Besides thoose companies you can look at the Gothic series that manages to be what Morrowind/Oblivion never was, a free-roaming experience that is still a real storydriven adventure.

Somebody described the Gothic games as "sort of like Morrowind, but with good gameplay". I would agree Gothic has a more enjoyable feel to it and, I would argue, a great deal more character. Of all the RPGs I've played this is definitely the most adventure-like in terms of story and character interaction. I wrote a review of the second part back when it came out.

Morrowind does have a charm of its own though, so despite its shortcomings it's worth a play, but not so much for the characters or storytelling...

I'll second the recommendation of Vampire Bloodlines too. Great story and characters. There was a long thread about it not long ago if you want to read up on it.

Knight of the Old Republic: also good. I didn't care for the semi-turn-based combat or the emphasis on statistics but still enjoyed it a lot.

Regarding Oblivion... I haven't played it yet, but I found this pretty funny.

stepurhan 09-09-2007 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JemyM (Post 438689)

Black Isle

Icewind Dale series

I found the Icewind Dale series (completed the original with expansion and up to Chapter 3 in the second0 to be a lot more combat-oriented. The story elements seemed much more "this is where you need to beat up monsters next" rather than adventury story setups. Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 (which you also mentioned) are much better in this regard.

Also, regarding the Neverwinter Nights recommendation (which I also agree with) If you get the game wtih both expansion packs you can find a whole bunch of independently developed modules here, many of which have very well written stories. A lot of them use the content from the expansions so it's worth getting all three if you want to try these out.

MoP 09-09-2007 04:07 PM

Black Isle/Troika games are definitely worth a try, especially the Fallout series and Arcanum. A lot of combat alternatives and great writing there.
But both Icewind Dale and Lionheart are mostly focused on combat, so I'd stay away from those. Icewind Dale is still playable (not my cup of tea tho'). Lionhearts combat on the other hand is pretty damn irritating, a shame too - the setting looked interesting, some cool ideas, but the gameplay rendered it unplayable for me.