You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Gaming News and Rumours

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2007, 01:48 PM   #61
Homer of Kittens

I wish they would make a new Riddick game instead. I've already played and own the old one on the PC (which already has the developer's comments).

Firefox rules
Old 05-18-2007, 02:18 PM   #62
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

That would be even more awesome of course. Especially if they made a new Riddick game for PC.

But anyway, I think the Riddick universe deserves another movie also.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:44 PM   #63
Super Moderator

Why Work Is Looking More Like a Video Game

The article is talking about business software that is designed to be 'game like' but then it switches to gaming in general in the work place.

Quote:
Executives may find that software is not the most valuable thing they can get from video gaming. Jane McGonigal, an affiliate researcher and resident game designer at the Institute for the Future, said she had done research that showed the qualitative advantages companies gain when they hire gamers, including an enhanced ability to innovate rapidly and collaborate effectively, even across far-flung regions. “Skills you develop in game worlds solve real-world problems,” Ms. McGonigal said, adding that 70 corporate executives came to a recent institute gaming event.

Gamers also tend to be more loyal to their companies and more likely to want to work with others than nongamers, according to research by John C. Beck, a management consultant who runs the North Star Leadership Group, and Mitchell Wade, chief executive of Choice Humanitarian, a nonprofit group that seeks to end poverty in the developing world. Mr. Beck and Mr. Wade were co-authors of the book “Got Game.” (The book is out in paperback under the title “The Kids Are Alright.”) Mr. Beck says children who grow up playing video games typically have to figure the games out for themselves, because adults don’t know how to play.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:57 AM   #64
XXJ

Default Folklore new movie

Folklore promotion video 3:40
http://www.jp.playstation.com/movie/..._folkssoul.asx

New folklore movie is released.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:23 AM   #65

I heard about Dofus on consoles? Someone knows if it's true?
Old 06-02-2007, 08:28 PM   #66
Homer of Kittens

Some more rumors:

Bioshock not a 360/PC exclusive but rather a timed exclusive?

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/1284.html

Seems like almost every game this generation will be multi-platform

Firefox rules
Old 06-02-2007, 10:49 PM   #67
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28 View Post
Some more rumors:

Bioshock not a 360/PC exclusive but rather a timed exclusive?
Refuted.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:40 AM   #68
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra View Post
You really believe 2k Games or any other publisher for that matter? They probably have signed some papers that don't allow them to divulge this information yet if it is true.

Firefox rules
Old 06-03-2007, 01:17 PM   #69
gin soaked boy

It's a rumor. It's been debunked. What else do you want? Of course it might come to the PS3 eventually, like any other third party game could (and vice versa, of course), but there's nothing substantial to back that rumor up at the moment.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:46 PM   #70
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melsie68 View Post
Why Work Is Looking More Like a Video Game

The article is talking about business software that is designed to be 'game like' but then it switches to gaming in general in the work place.
You've read it too? I think I posted that link in the 'Miscellaneous [weird] news' thread in Chit Chat. Or did I? I forget, but I know I emailed it to my sister and nieces.

I hope this trend kinda continues, it is after all to the benefit of a new generation of people who grew up on games and it seems a good way of carrying the benefits over to effect a particularly pragmatic and more efficient and optimal way of achieving things in both business and society.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-03-2007, 09:04 PM   #71
Super Moderator

Yes! And you did post it in Chit Chat. I thought it was an interesting look at video games on a less superficial level than how many people see them.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:18 AM   #72
gin soaked boy

Seems like World in Conflict is the newest RTS to find its way onto the Allard's white box. The latest trailer is very nice. What's up with all those fine, emotionally charged trailers lately?

So, do you believe RTS games will ever become as huge on consoles as FPS games have become after Halo?
Old 06-06-2007, 05:55 AM   #73
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra View Post
So, do you believe RTS games will ever become as huge on consoles as FPS games have become after Halo?
You mean after Golden Eye?

And I think no, akward control system might still be the problem...
Old 06-06-2007, 06:15 AM   #74
gin soaked boy

No, I mean after Halo. GoldenEye was a great game (and so were Doom 64, Turok and others, to some extent), but it didn't jumpstart the whole console FPS mainstream craze, Halo did. It also introduced the control system now considered a golden standard (with some tweaks here and there, of course).

Judging by some recent console RTS reviews and sales, gamepad control systems don't have to be awkward. Besides, that's exactly what PC gamers used to claim for console FPS games ("that will never take off, controls suck"), but obviously they were wrong.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:26 PM   #75
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobsie View Post
Judging by some recent console RTS reviews and sales, gamepad control systems don't have to be awkward. Besides, that's exactly what PC gamers used to claim for console FPS games ("that will never take off, controls suck"), but obviously they were wrong.
The PC snobs always seem to do that, yes? I had a blast playing the C&C: Tiberium Wars demo on my X360. They did an very excellent job streamlining the otherwise complicated scheme onto the controller. Let this game be an example of how to do it right.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-06-2007, 03:38 PM   #76
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
The PC snobs always seem to do that, yes?
I find generalizations of groups quite off putting. Maybe some PC users do that but have you met all of them to make that generalization accurate?
Old 06-06-2007, 03:54 PM   #77
merely human

Melanie, you've known me for all this time. Do you really think I would be one who would generalize? You should know by now that when I say such things that I do mean a certain kind group, NOT the whole across-the-board demographic.

So please, for now on, DO NOT GENERALIZE ME. Am I understood?
Old 06-06-2007, 04:21 PM   #78
Homer of Kittens

I personally do not enjoy RTS'es on the consoles. FPS'es, I have come to live with (though I still prefer the accuracy of a mouse especially in multi-player), but I have tried C&C 3 demo on the 360, and though the interface is admirable, I can't see myself using it especially in the hectic action of that game in the later levels. I have actually read reviews (EGM is one of them) where the reviewers complain how it becomes much more difficult in the later levels without the ease of a mouse. Does that make me a PC snob? Maybe. But I do believe that each platform has definitely its strengths, and it is fit to play certain types of games better.

Firefox rules
Old 06-06-2007, 04:29 PM   #79
merely human

You should see all the console bashing on other sites and gaming news blogs. I intuit a lot of it has to do with resentment that many games now are going multiplatform and the PC isn't getting as much attention lately.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:36 PM   #80
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
You should see all the console bashing on other sites and gaming news blogs. I intuit a lot of it has to do with resentment that many games now are going multiplatform and the PC isn't getting as much attention lately.
I used to be one of these bashers, but I have seen the light I have actually been gaming more on consoles lately than the PC, and the offerings of consoles are so awesome that you are missing on a great chunk of gaming if you brush them off as inferior, mainstream, or even worse "dumb". ICO for example is probably one of the deepest games of any medium out there, and it is on the PS2, the most mainstream of platforms.

Firefox rules