You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Kickstarter watch thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
Schattenjäger

Default Kickstarter watch thread

With the industry perhaps forever altered after Doublefines success, i thought it would be nice to have a general thread for pointing out game kickstarters. Just noticed this one for class of heroes 2. Im not familiar with the game, but it could be the first time a localization makes this sort of funding work, opening the gates wider for more potential.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #2

Well it's not really an adventure game but

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stoic/the-banner-saga

looks really good.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #3

I'm really interested in seeing this JRPG set in the tiems of colonial America: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seltaire/americana-dawn/

They've already met their funding and the game will be free, but if you want, you still have 46 hours to grab an art book to the game.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
Schattenjäger

neaaat, nice to see that they got the funding even though it was going to be free anyway. Iv definitely got my eye on banner saga too.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:15 AM   #5
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
Just noticed this one for class of heroes 2.
Wasn't surprised when the falling bikini pic appeared, why's that?
The puzzle-like battles were neat, not so sure about the rest -- this one seems more of the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneckchen ^.^ View Post
(Banner Saga)
looks really good.
The game got some love on IGN and GT if I'm not mistaken, so it'll prolly make it.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
Schattenjäger

iv definitely soured on CoH2. They clearly have some organization problems and weird judgement choices. I'd like to see it succeed anyway, because if an unheard of title (on a platform thats phasing out physical media), which wasnt very well received with the first game, can succeed, then what cant?
But it doesnt look good.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:36 AM   #7

I've been reading on The Toonstruck two petition page on facebook it sounds like that Toonstruck will be getting the Kickstarter treatment very soon as the original team want to get the remastered edition with all the cut content that was originally split for the sequel released and hopefully go into production on Toonstruck 2 if its successful.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #8
Psychonaut

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...dowrun-returns

I loved Shadowrun on the SNES.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
Schattenjäger

^oh wow new shadowrun... thats got huge potential.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
lol, it looks like its going to get its funding in the first day. RPG gamers are serious business it appears.

Let's hope the same amount of love can be afforded to more adventure game designers.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:11 AM   #11
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejobloshow View Post
lol, it looks like its going to get its funding in the first day. RPG gamers are serious business it appears.

Let's hope the same amount of love can be afforded to more adventure game designers.
The good thing about it is that RPGs and adventure games are closely related. Especially the story-heavy RPGs. So there's bound to be at least *some* overlap in the crowds...

Here's to hoping Obsidian will start a Planescape: Torment 2 Kickstarter...
Old 04-05-2012, 02:20 AM   #12
In an evening of July...

While not a game, I found the Remee Kickstarter project to be a fascinating, albeit not new idea.

It's basically an affordable, comfortable sleep mask with LEDs that are supposed to help you achieve lucid dreaming (being aware that you're in a dream -- yes, like in Inception). Usually, LDing is something you have to train yourself for, but devices like this are known to speed up the process considerably.

It does not automatically detect REM sleep phases, but with a little bit of fine tuning, this should not be a major problem.

Again, sorry for the off-topic, but making a thread just for this seemed like an overkill.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #13
Schattenjäger

^we might as well talk about any kickstarter (ill add a line about that in first post, oh i cant still edit NM). And while i dont know much about lucid dreaming devices, i have seen them advertised for hundreds(if not thousands?) of dollars in the past, and they always made me curious as to why they were so expensive.

Also, question regarding shadowrun: how do people feel about what theyr doing with having many tiers with an unusual amount of exclusive in-game content? Clearly its not going to slow them down... but i dont like it... its kindv like a donation form of DLC.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:56 AM   #14
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
^we might as well talk about any kickstarter (ill add a line about that in first post, oh i cant still edit NM). And while i dont know much about lucid dreaming devices, i have seen them advertised for hundreds(if not thousands?) of dollars in the past, and they always made me curious as to why they were so expensive.
I know of two competing products, and both are more expensive (180$ and ~500$), both able to detect REM sleep with infrared sensors. The Remee guys said that adding such sensors to their mask would drive the price up significantly (without improving much), so I guess that explains the price tag on other masks.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #15

Well, I'm sure everyone knows by now, but just in case: Two Sierra alums are back with new projects:

Al Lowe and Leisure Suit Larry 1: Reloaded
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...rry-come-again

And Jane Jensen, with Moebius - a game in the style of Gabriel Knight
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-2012-2013-csg

I'm excited about both!
Old 04-19-2012, 12:57 PM   #16
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOslo View Post
Well, I'm sure everyone knows by now, but just in case: Two Sierra alums are back with new projects:
Old 04-27-2012, 06:52 PM   #17

Sorry, a bit offtopic here, but I just got a bit frustrated recently watching so many, well, rather strange projects kickstarting, but not this one.

Does anyone know if Tom Hall consider starting Anachronox 2 Kickstarter, or at least has any general thoughts about it? I recently finished the original game, it's a brilliant piece of work, and I already want more, like everyone else. I read that the publisher originally found Anachronox too large, dividing it into two halves, but the sequel never saw the light since the studio closed shortly after the release.

I think Tom is still in business, the license should be available, the game is partly ready, and I'm sure he'll have no problem collecting any amount of money. Does anyone know anything?
Old 04-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #18
Schattenjäger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arial Type View Post
Sorry, a bit offtopic here, but I just got a bit frustrated recently watching so many, well, rather strange projects kickstarting, but not this one.

Does anyone know if Tom Hall consider starting Anachronox 2 Kickstarter, or at least has any general thoughts about it? I recently finished the original game, it's a brilliant piece of work, and I already want more, like everyone else. I read that the publisher originally found Anachronox too large, dividing it into two halves, but the sequel never saw the light since the studio closed shortly after the release.

I think Tom is still in business, the license should be available, the game is partly ready, and I'm sure he'll have no problem collecting any amount of money. Does anyone know anything?
i dont know the licensing details, and i dont think hes commented on kickstarter, but he has expressed really wanting to make it. I imagine alot of devs are having a (well deserved) hesitation about kickstarter. They need to plan their pitch very well, and they have to avoid bumping heads with too many projects at once.. its tricky.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:33 AM   #19

Heh, seems like I'm not the only one concerned about Anachronox People keep bombing Tom with questions on Twitter. Just five days ago:
Quote:
@thattomhall I loved Anachronix and Commander Keen. What do you feel about Kickstarter financing of your projects?

Tom Hall ‏ @ThatTomHall
Boy, a lot of folks are mentioning that! Would love it if I owned the IPs. But I don't.
And on the 19th of April:
Quote:
@ThatTomHall oh is that it? How much does it cost and where do I buy it?! ;-)

Tom Hall ‏ @ThatTomHall
Unknown, SquareEnix, they won't talk to ya. But trying a few things....
So the IP is really a big deal and the only thing that stops him from starting a campaign. I really hope those IP holders will burn in hell someday
Old 04-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arial Type View Post
So the IP is really a big deal and the only thing that stops him from starting a campaign. I really hope those IP holders will burn in hell someday
I'd love to see Anachronox 2 as well. Really enjoyed the first one.

I really think IP thing is overblown. Why not just make a new IP? Will people really care if its MyNewGame instead of Anachronox 2? Its the same game made by the same designer after all. Whats in a name?