You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Kickstarter watch thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012, 01:52 AM   #21
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddhi View Post
I really think IP thing is overblown. Why not just make a new IP? Will people really care if its MyNewGame instead of Anachronox 2? Its the same game made by the same designer after all. Whats in a name?
The IP really matters. Humans are habit-animals, they prefer to stick to what they know.

Had Jensen come up with GK4 instead of Moebius, the amount of backing would've been significantly higher.

Same will go for Tom Hall. Let him make Anachronox 2 and you'll have all the fans of Anachronox backing. Let him make something new, and you'll only have a fraction of the fans of Anachronox backing, and he'll have trouble raising money.

Why do you think sequels are so loved by producers? Because if the original was even remotely successful, the sequel will outshine it in terms of profit... Even if it's bad...
Old 04-30-2012, 08:13 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
Same will go for Tom Hall. Let him make Anachronox 2 and you'll have all the fans of Anachronox backing. Let him make something new, and you'll only have a fraction of the fans of Anachronox backing, and he'll have trouble raising money.
That's not really the case here. The story of Anachronox simply ended with a big cliffhanger - that's why people demand a sequel in the first place. Add to this a very unique, detailed world, an epic storyline and a bunch of truly memorable characters you rarely see in games and try to come up with something of equal quality.

And you can't seriously blame Tom for the lack of new ideas
Old 04-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #23
Schattenjäger

I agree that in a better world the IP wouldnt matter at all. If someone had the capability to make a good sequel of somthing, everyone should recognize they could do somthing else good too. But unfortunately IP can be the difference between people rallying and being pretty apathetic.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #24
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

I think Republique an Ios (and now PC) survival game seem very interesting.

Quote:
You receive a desperate phone call from Hope, a young woman trapped within a shadowy totalitarian state. Using a stolen phone, she calls and begs you to hack into the nation’s surveillance system, assume control, and help her escape from the clutches of the omnipresent Overseer.
Quote:
Here are the goals we outlined with the teams:

Design a game and write a story for touch-based devices
Create an intense action game without a focus on killing
Feature a believable, non-sexualized female lead
Explore heavy topics, say something meaningful
Push cutting-edge graphics on mobile
I find way too many interesting things on kickstarter. Especially in the technology, comic and game categories..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 04-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #25
Schattenjäger

Would definitely like to see republique get released.. hope they dont give up after the kickstarter! I love the idea of a stealth-survival game that doesnt have a focus on killing.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:16 AM   #26

I recently discovered republique as well. Looks very good and I decided to back it even though my funding is waaay stretched at the moment.

And I also noticed they got David Haytor and Jennifer Hale to do voiceover. Doesn't get much cooler than that
Old 05-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #27

I stumbled across an Adventure game RELATED Kickstarter project, a board game based on the original Colossal Cave text adventure. It looks intriguing, and reading about it certainly gave me a feeling of nostalgia.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/.../?ref=kicktraq
Old 05-05-2012, 07:38 AM   #28

For fans of history and Interactive Fiction, there's the Historical Williamsburg Living Narrative project on Kickstarter. Modest funding goal.

Emily Short interviewed the developer regarding the project on her blog here. Worth the read.

There's also a related blog for the project here.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:35 PM   #29
self-distracted

Send a message via MSN to maladroid

Republique looks like it might make it, after all! Almost at 420k now with 23 hours still on the clock. I really like the premise of this project, the gameplay kind of reminds me of Experience 112 (or The Experiment, depending on where you're from) but -hopefully- done in a less static, cumbersome way.

Proud supporter of Tex Murphy - Project Fedora
Old 05-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #30
Schattenjäger

wow... what a surge. Thats going to be right down to the wire....
EDIT: yep, throw out all the conventional wisdom for republique. They spent more than two thirds of their fundraising not even anywhere near to halfway of their goal. And suddenly "it clicked" (sounds like somthing from reddit went viral) And theyv made around 320k in the last week-ish. Unbelievable.

Last edited by zane; 05-11-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:20 AM   #31

The Colossal Cave board game I mentioned a few posts back is in its last few days.

It made its funding, but if it can make its final stretch goal (not looking likely, but you never know), Kickstarter copies will come with a memory stick containing new ports of Crowther and Woods Colossal Cave text-adventure, along with the later, expanded version, ADV550.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/.../?ref=kicktraq

EDIT: This really surged in the past few days. Now it DOES look like it will make the stretch goal, so anybody backing at $30 or more WILL likely get the USB stick with ADVENTURE and ADVENTURE 550 in each copy of the board game they get.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 05-18-2012 at 10:44 AM.