You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2007, 12:30 PM   #301
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue View Post
Give it some time and when PS3 is in the homes of millions of people, maybe then we'll see some truly innovative uses for the sixaxis.
Hm, they're too light to be used as paperweights...
Old 01-18-2007, 12:39 PM   #302
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue View Post
Give it some time and when PS3 is in the homes of millions of people
Very optimistic, aren't you?

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 01-18-2007, 03:58 PM   #303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva View Post
Very optimistic, aren't you?
Well, I always give developers the benefit of the doubt, so I see no reason why I shouldn't do the same with PS3.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:31 PM   #304
is not wierd

I'm sure eventually the PS3 will become a popular machine when the price point goes down.

I'm actually a little worried that the Wii will end up dramatically slowing down once the novelty wears out. Hopefully it will head in the same direction the DS seems to be headed.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:22 AM   #305
Banned User

It's too bad the upcoming games for both the PS3 and Wii are less than impressive.

My biggest hope is that the PS3 is able to upgrade it's menu systems with firmware updates. As is stands now, it's pretty worthless.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:16 AM   #306
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eureka View Post
It's too bad the upcoming games for both the PS3 and Wii are less than impressive.

My biggest hope is that the PS3 is able to upgrade it's menu systems with firmware updates. As is stands now, it's pretty worthless.
By the menu, do you mean the crossbar like that on the PSP or the PS3 network? If it's the latter, I'm sure they will enhance it as time goes by. It is functional, but I would definitely like a patch which allows you to download simultaneaously while you browse.

For the former, it is really a great UI where everything is easily accessible[sic??] and I can't complain about it.

Firefox rules
Old 01-19-2007, 10:03 AM   #307
merely human

It would be sweet if Sony asked the consumers to suggest ideas to help improve the PS3 menu systems, just like what Microsoft is doing. After all the consumers are the end users.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-19-2007, 10:25 AM   #308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
just like what Microsoft is doing.
Yet the menus are just getting worse on the X360!

Too cute, too busy, too cluttered, too confusing. In short, too American.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:32 AM   #309
merely human

Are you attacking the X360's menu system, or how they actually listen to their customers and get them involved in the process to help make the most of their gaming and online service experience?

And are you being racist against us Americans? I don't remember ever making insults againsts Europeans, Asians, Africans, or Latin Americans and how they like their gaming experiences.

Let's all please get back to discussing the topic at hand instead of taking potshots.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-19-2007, 10:38 AM   #310
merely human

Anyway, I don't know how much experience you have using the X360's menu, CrimsonBlue, but I have next to no problems getting around in it. It's not perfect but it's reasonably efficient enough for what it is. And I do applaud Microsoft for asking our input on how to improve the system, so it's really never a finished, self-contained thing. There's always room for improvement.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:20 PM   #311

It wasn't offending Americans in general, I just don't like the american style in 99% of the games. I'm more of a minimalistic in terms of designs and such. American designs tend to be a bit overwhelming.

And I have lots of experience with the X360 menu. It's kinda like PES vs FIFA menus. I know a lot of people hate PES, but it's simplistic and tidy, not necessarily cluttered with flashy effects like in FIFA.

Sorry if I offended anyone, but I feel I'm allowed to like one style over another.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:28 PM   #312
merely human

Well, I'm glad the air is cleared on that, though I honestly would've understood you if you had stated that it's 'over-designed' like many things created for the American market.

Which I truly and ardently agree with you. From our ugly commercials (anyone seen that hideous Head-On one?) to our cars to our shopping malls to all of Los Angeles to....hell, even to our country's flag, it seems many of us want things to be as busy and overripe and sickeningly colourful as possible. EIW!! There are too many things here that are just......wrong, in terms of design and aesthetics. So much so that we've grown used to it, and when you give us something clean, distilled, and incredibly easy to use we don't know what to do with it! LOL!

I find it ironic, then, that such beautiful things like the iPod have such a huge following here.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:42 PM   #313
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Agreed. I for one find the 360's menu easy to use, but the coloring is just ugly. How the PS3's menu is I don't know, unfortunately. I don't have the pleasure of knowing anyone who owns one.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:54 PM   #314
Hitch-Hiker

The PS3 menus do look neater, but I have no problem with the 360s menu.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

Old 01-19-2007, 02:55 PM   #315
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
Agreed. I for one find the 360's menu easy to use, but the coloring is just ugly. How the PS3's menu is I don't know, unfortunately. I don't have the pleasure of knowing anyone who owns one.
It is 100 % identical to the PSP if you've ever seen that.

EDIT: The UI is patented and called the XMB. Here is a snapshot of it on wikipedia
picture

Firefox rules
Old 01-19-2007, 06:41 PM   #316
Banned User

Don't like the color of you xbox 360's menus? Then change them, the option is there ya damn fools!

There, now you know i'm kidding.

Last edited by Eureka; 01-21-2007 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:21 PM   #317
merely human

That's right. The default colours might look too sickeningly suburban American to you, so you can customize the look. I recently changed mine to the Halo 3 theme. I was too lazy to go in depth.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:46 AM   #318

Yeah, I'm currently using Oblivion theme. But it's not the coloring that's the main problem, it's just the way it's set up.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:49 AM   #319
Banned User

What's wrong with the way it's set up? I don't know of one person who had a problem with it. Maybe you're just...not getting it?
Old 01-20-2007, 05:16 AM   #320
Hitch-Hiker

I use the Dark version of the default theme, love it.

_