You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2006, 05:22 PM   #1

Default Ps3...

I finally got one, and also got resistance and fight night round 3. I don't understand all the backlash against sony at all, because time with the system has left me amazed. Resistance is great, looks good, has a great single player, and very fun to play online and with friends. Fight Night round 3 looks amazing and is also very fun to play with friends. my only beef so far has to be not beingable to do other things while downloading demos, but they say there's already a patch coming to fix that...but seriously, what's up with all the hate? I really am loving this thing!
Old 12-19-2006, 05:53 PM   #2
Jack Bauer loves you

Send a message via AIM to artwking4

I think most if it has to do with Sony's attitude rubbing people the wrong way (and the high price). But one doesn't play games on a company's attitude, one plays them on a gaming system. Some people just have a really difficult time discerning between the two. You may pity them, if you like.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:39 PM   #3
GoT

Send a message via MSN to GoT

Please do tell more about PS3 online gaming.... that interests me.. especially if its a mortal kombat style game
Old 12-20-2006, 01:07 AM   #4
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwking4 View Post
I think most if it has to do with Sony's attitude rubbing people the wrong way (and the high price).
Yeah, it has a lot to do with Sony alienating people with a shitload of lies, broken promises and so on.

But also with the fact that for that kind of money it doesn't offer much more (and in some areas it offers less) than its substantially cheaper competition. At least if all you care about is playing games.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:04 AM   #5
Master of time and space

I thought the retail price of ~€600 was cheap considering the hard ware in the PS3 ?
Old 12-20-2006, 02:57 AM   #6
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

Well, Fight Night Round 3 looks verifiably worse on the PS3, for example. It's not quite what people were expecting.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:11 AM   #7
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
I thought the retail price of ~€600 was cheap considering the hard ware in the PS3 ?
It's cheap considering it plays Blu-ray movies, but if you're mainly interested in playing games and don't care much about HD video playback, then it's not such a good deal. Truth be told, there are other neat - yet unnecessary - additions like an HDMI port and built-in Wi-Fi in the more expensive model so it's up to everyone to decide for themselves if they need such additional functionality or not. Most people probably don't and for a console that aims to be a mass-market device, it's way too expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fop View Post
Well, Fight Night Round 3 looks verifiably worse on the PS3, for example. It's not quite what people were expecting.
Some things actually look better (better defined musculature and, uh, better sweat), but some are worse (lighting, spectators, cam filters).
Old 12-20-2006, 07:05 AM   #8
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaadThaGoat
Resistance is great, looks good, has a great single player, and very fun to play online and with friends.
Please, elaborate. That game looks great, but I'm not getting a PS3 in the near future, so I'm forced to settle for other eyewitness accounts.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:03 PM   #9
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

The PS3 has one fun game, lets all celebrate by buying one. Oh wait, its not out in Europe until September most likely.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 12-20-2006, 01:56 PM   #10
Aj_
Beyond Belief

I shopped at lik-sang.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:58 PM   #11
merely human

I'm going buy a PS3 just so I can bonk Dasilva with for saying something naughty to me.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 12-20-2006, 09:44 PM   #12
hello

The negative press the playstation 3 has received is quite amusing really.
If you go to metacritic.com (which averages out all review scores from online sites like gamespot and ign) and take a look at the line-up, you will see most games are rated pretty well, with a lot being in the high seventies, mid eighties.
http://www.metacritic.com/games/ps3/

Yet if you look at the wii lineup there are a lot more games which are rated very poorly, and games which appear on both systems (call of duty 3, need for speed carbon, marvel ultimate alliance) are rated much worse than the ps3, because the games suffer from having terrible graphics, poor framrates and luckluster controls.
http://www.metacritic.com/games/wii/

yet... according to everyone the wii is marvelous, and the ps3 is terrible.. doesnt add up.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:51 PM   #13

It's called being narrow-minded. Also known as "the sheep syndrom".
Old 12-21-2006, 12:51 AM   #14
Master of time and space

I might get a PS3 by summer if it launches well. Hey, it runs Linux!!!!
Old 12-21-2006, 03:40 AM   #15
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
I might get a PS3 by summer if it launches well. Hey, it runs Linux!!!!
Thats the bullet point that sold me.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 12-21-2006, 05:26 AM   #16
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Litrick, I don't want to sound like I'm defending the Wii. Sure, I want a Wii more than a PS3. But the PS3 is bound to get my attention at some point. So.. this is more of an observation of your post, if you'd like.

But your summarization of the Metacritic pages is very selective. You mention that non-excluives fair worse on the Wii, yet fail to mention that Madden '07 gets a better score on the Wii, despite the poor graphics, because of the superior control scheme.

Then, there are more games, which basically just means more crappy third-party titles, on the Wii than on the PS3. Yes, it's not a big difference, but neither is the difference in amount of badly scored titles between the two.

Third, take a look at each game's individual page on Metacritics. Notice the difference in numbers of reviews on each game? Zelda (49 reviews), Resistance (37 reviews); Wii Sports (38 reviews), Tony Hawk's Project 8 (23 reviews). It's easier to keep a steady score when you're being reviewed by fewer sites/magazines.

Why am I posting this? Just to make sure that everyone understands that Metacritic scores don't mean shit. And neither does summarizing Metacritic scores, which are already a summarization of other scores..

And finally, when they say that Sony's got bad press, it doesn't mean that people hate the PS3. People love the PS3. It sold out on launch day. Resistance is awesome. There's no negative press for PS3. No more than there is for Wii, anyway. Just because Sony occasionally shits down its pants (as Nintendo has done, oh so many times) doesn't mean their console isn't drop-dead fabulous and popular.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:49 AM   #17
Master of time and space

The only gripe I have with Sony is that they seem like an evil company which would like nothing more than to rule the world and step on the inhabitants...
Old 12-21-2006, 07:55 AM   #18

Quote:
The only gripe I have with Sony is that they seem like an evil company which would like nothing more than to rule the world and step on the inhabitants...
Sounds like Microsoft for 20 years.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:58 AM   #19
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue View Post
Sounds like Microsoft for 20 years.
That's the only gripe I have with Micro$oft as well
Still, I'm a biatch and will probably end up buying Vista unless I turn 100% Linux... Time will tell...
Old 12-21-2006, 09:23 AM   #20
gin soaked boy

The thing is, Microsoft's been much better at hiding that recently.

Their PR people are really earning their wages, whereas Sony's PR people bless us with things like this.