You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2007, 01:30 PM   #281
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ps3Lover View Post
Well, i had it in this discussion.. Everyone is blame of flame me..
because of my words im using.

Im really sorry if it comes hard on you.
No worries. You're new. I dunno if the mods agree but I say anyone that tries to fit in probably will.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:32 PM   #282
Banned User

I find it funny that the Japanese gamers and developers used to mock the first xbox because of its size, then one generation later, they build one the size of a house.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:02 PM   #283
hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_ View Post
That's not even close to being logical. For you to make such assumptions you'd have to know the consistant speed which the Blu-Ray drive reads, and the minimum, maximum, and curve the DVD drive takes, to compare them. Keep in mind that Blu-Ray is x2 speed, so it's consistant speed is very close to the minimum speed of the DVD drive in the Xbox 360. If it was a Blu-Ray x1 speed drive it wouldn't even reach the DVD drive's minimum speed, if it was x4 speed the consistant speed would be over the maximum of the DVD drive speed.

We will see. I thought developers were doing a lot of dialogue already, at good quality. I'm sure a lot of JRPGs are going to be using all that extra space for millions of cutscenes.

you are probably right about the millions of cutscenes thing
not nnecessarily a bad thing though, i am quite partial to a high quality rendered cut scene. (gears of war had a few nice pre rendered in amongst its real time cut scenes)

Here is a snippet from IGN about the upcoming game "t5he darkness" you can see that the extra space the ps3 prrovvides is being put tto a ssmall but quite nice little use.

Doom 3 ushered in an era of in-game video on monitors and TV screens in the digital world. The Darkness uses this technique to play videos of classic horror films, such as Nosferatu, on TVs in the game. It's a cute little detail that, while not exactly adding to the gameplay, definitely makes thorough exploration a worthwhile prospect. We've heard rumours that this could be the sole difference between the PS3 and 360 versions, with the Blu-Ray disk offering up more space for additional videos.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:02 PM   #284

Where's the "Dual Shock" in the PS3?

I miss the vibration - big time!

Old 01-17-2007, 08:13 PM   #285
merely human

Yeah, many gamers are complaining about the absence of dual shock.

You could always get yourself an X360 or a Wii. They have it.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-18-2007, 02:09 AM   #286

I never missed the vibration on the Wavebird, and I can't say I think it's an important aspect. It's something you only notice at first, and I don't think you'll miss it after a while. We managed quite fine until the N64/PS1 era, I don't see why it's suddenly become such a big deal.

But sure, I'd be happy to have vibration, just don't think it's that important.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:17 AM   #287
A Servicable Villain

In that respect, nothing is really important. But vibration can add a whole lot to the experience. Imagine a chainsaw kill in Gears of War not being accompanied by a load roar and a shaking controller. Wouldn't be the same.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:25 AM   #288
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
In that respect, nothing is really important. But vibration can add a whole lot to the experience. Imagine a chainsaw kill in Gears of War not being accompanied by a load roar and a shaking controller. Wouldn't be the same.

Absolutely. I've always disliked the controller vibration, but it worked quite well for Gears of War. Especially with the Troikas.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:45 AM   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
No, nothing is really important - they're game controllers. I would, however, consider analogue sticks and buttons much more important than vibration. Also, the motion sensitivity in the controller could possible add a whole lot to the experience as well. It all depends on how you use it, just like with the vibration. They "had" to choose between vibration or motion sensitivity - now let's wait and see if the choice was right or not. But I'm not missing the vibration just yet, give it some time and maybe sixaxis will prove to be as good or better than the DS2.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:02 AM   #290
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Playing MGS without vibration functions won't be the same, for exmaple.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 01-18-2007, 09:48 AM   #291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva View Post
Playing MGS without vibration functions won't be the same, for exmaple.
Yes, but then the game was designed to be played with a vibrating pad. Imagine games that are designed to be played with the sixaxis. Could be just as cool as the funny sequence in MGS.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:03 AM   #292
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue View Post
No, nothing is really important - they're game controllers. I would, however, consider analogue sticks and buttons much more important than vibration... Also, the motion sensitivity in the controller could possible add a whole lot to the experience as well. It all depends on how you use it, just like with the vibration. They "had" to choose between vibration or motion sensitivity - now let's wait and see if the choice was right or not. But I'm not missing the vibration just yet, give it some time and maybe sixaxis will prove to be as good or better than the DS2.
Well, yes, it's a given that analogue sticks and buttons and such are of the utmost priority. None of us ever implied otherwise, of course.

Sony was sued for tens of millions of dollars by an American company over the patent rights infringement of that company's vibration function, and that has a LOT to do with Sony's decision to not include it in the PS3's controller. I don't believe was ever a choice between that and motion sensitivity, but it seems Sony would prefer we believe otherwise. It has been proven - mainly by the inclusion of the two features in the controller of the Wii - that both can co-exist in one controller. So I figured Sony was too cheap (and perhaps too proud) to pay that American company for the right to use vibration in the PS3's controller.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-18-2007, 10:17 AM   #293

They could probably develop a different version of the vibration as well. I doubt Nintendo and Microsoft are paying royalties for the vibration function in their controllers.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:45 AM   #294
merely human

Quote:
They could probably develop a different version of the vibration as well. I doubt Nintendo and Microsoft are paying royalties for the vibration function in their controllers.
They probably actually are. I could look it up to find out for sure, but suffice it to say that if they're smart they'll not **** up like Sony did and just go along working with the original patent holder. I'm sure the royalty is far less than the price of lawsuits and litigation costs.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:07 AM   #295
Homer of Kittens

I'm sure that Sony has a viable financial reason of why to exclude the vibrator. They won't put themselves in a disadvantage unless there is a strong reason to do so, and in my opinion, it is financial. Probably, Immersion got greedy and asked for too much royalty for each vibrator. *I just love to call it vibrator *

Firefox rules
Old 01-18-2007, 11:44 AM   #296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
They probably actually are. I could look it up to find out for sure, but suffice it to say that if they're smart they'll not **** up like Sony did and just go along working with the original patent holder. I'm sure the royalty is far less than the price of lawsuits and litigation costs.
I'm sure I heard something about Nintendo and Microsoft not using the Immersion patent.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:00 PM   #297
merely human

Where did you hear it from? If you have a news link that would be great. I think Immersion has some kind of dominance in the U.S. for the force feedback technology. I also had read (sorry, no longer have the link) that a rep from Immersion stated that they would like to work with Sony. Still, it would seem that Sony does not want to work with them.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:11 PM   #298
gin soaked boy

Quote:
I'm sure I heard something about Nintendo and Microsoft not using the Immersion patent.
Microsoft does. They had been approached by Immersion, just like Sony, but settled out of court.

Nintendo, on the other hand, allegedly use their own technology, although Immersion has their lawyers ready in case they ever catch a glimpse of copyright infringement.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:14 PM   #299
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

I dont think sixaxis will do anything inovative, the Wii-mote is inovative, sixaxis just looks tacked on from what I see in games.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 01-18-2007, 12:19 PM   #300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva View Post
sixaxis just looks tacked on from what I see in games.
Yes, so far. But it's way to early to tell. The console hasn't been out for more than a few months, and still not released in Europe. Give it some time and when PS3 is in the homes of millions of people, maybe then we'll see some truly innovative uses for the sixaxis.