Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Ps3... (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/18206-ps3.html)

SaadThaGoat 12-19-2006 05:22 PM

Ps3...

I finally got one, and also got resistance and fight night round 3. I don't understand all the backlash against sony at all, because time with the system has left me amazed. Resistance is great, looks good, has a great single player, and very fun to play online and with friends. Fight Night round 3 looks amazing and is also very fun to play with friends. my only beef so far has to be not beingable to do other things while downloading demos, but they say there's already a patch coming to fix that...but seriously, what's up with all the hate? I really am loving this thing!

artwking4 12-19-2006 05:53 PM

I think most if it has to do with Sony's attitude rubbing people the wrong way (and the high price). But one doesn't play games on a company's attitude, one plays them on a gaming system. Some people just have a really difficult time discerning between the two. You may pity them, if you like.

GoT 12-19-2006 06:39 PM

Please do tell more about PS3 online gaming.... that interests me.. especially if its a mortal kombat style game :)

insane_cobra 12-20-2006 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artwking4 (Post 374894)
I think most if it has to do with Sony's attitude rubbing people the wrong way (and the high price).

Yeah, it has a lot to do with Sony alienating people with a shitload of lies, broken promises and so on.

But also with the fact that for that kind of money it doesn't offer much more (and in some areas it offers less) than its substantially cheaper competition. At least if all you care about is playing games.

MdaG 12-20-2006 02:04 AM

I thought the retail price of ~€600 was cheap considering the hard ware in the PS3 ?

Fop 12-20-2006 02:57 AM

Well, Fight Night Round 3 looks verifiably worse on the PS3, for example. It's not quite what people were expecting.

insane_cobra 12-20-2006 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MdaG (Post 374959)
I thought the retail price of ~€600 was cheap considering the hard ware in the PS3 ?

It's cheap considering it plays Blu-ray movies, but if you're mainly interested in playing games and don't care much about HD video playback, then it's not such a good deal. Truth be told, there are other neat - yet unnecessary - additions like an HDMI port and built-in Wi-Fi in the more expensive model so it's up to everyone to decide for themselves if they need such additional functionality or not. Most people probably don't and for a console that aims to be a mass-market device, it's way too expensive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fop (Post 374969)
Well, Fight Night Round 3 looks verifiably worse on the PS3, for example. It's not quite what people were expecting.

Some things actually look better (better defined musculature and, uh, better sweat), but some are worse (lighting, spectators, cam filters).

Giligan 12-20-2006 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaadThaGoat
Resistance is great, looks good, has a great single player, and very fun to play online and with friends.

Please, elaborate. That game looks great, but I'm not getting a PS3 in the near future, so I'm forced to settle for other eyewitness accounts.

Dasilva 12-20-2006 12:03 PM

The PS3 has one fun game, lets all celebrate by buying one. Oh wait, its not out in Europe until September most likely.

Aj_ 12-20-2006 01:56 PM

I shopped at lik-sang.

Intrepid Homoludens 12-20-2006 01:58 PM

I'm going buy a PS3 just so I can bonk Dasilva with for saying something naughty to me.

Litrick 12-20-2006 09:44 PM

The negative press the playstation 3 has received is quite amusing really.
If you go to metacritic.com (which averages out all review scores from online sites like gamespot and ign) and take a look at the line-up, you will see most games are rated pretty well, with a lot being in the high seventies, mid eighties.
http://www.metacritic.com/games/ps3/

Yet if you look at the wii lineup there are a lot more games which are rated very poorly, and games which appear on both systems (call of duty 3, need for speed carbon, marvel ultimate alliance) are rated much worse than the ps3, because the games suffer from having terrible graphics, poor framrates and luckluster controls.
http://www.metacritic.com/games/wii/

yet... according to everyone the wii is marvelous, and the ps3 is terrible.. doesnt add up.

CrimsonBlue 12-20-2006 11:51 PM

It's called being narrow-minded. Also known as "the sheep syndrom".

MdaG 12-21-2006 12:51 AM

I might get a PS3 by summer if it launches well. Hey, it runs Linux!!!! :D

Dasilva 12-21-2006 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MdaG (Post 375251)
I might get a PS3 by summer if it launches well. Hey, it runs Linux!!!! :D

Thats the bullet point that sold me.

bigjko 12-21-2006 05:26 AM

Litrick, I don't want to sound like I'm defending the Wii. Sure, I want a Wii more than a PS3. But the PS3 is bound to get my attention at some point. So.. this is more of an observation of your post, if you'd like. :)

But your summarization of the Metacritic pages is very selective. You mention that non-excluives fair worse on the Wii, yet fail to mention that Madden '07 gets a better score on the Wii, despite the poor graphics, because of the superior control scheme.

Then, there are more games, which basically just means more crappy third-party titles, on the Wii than on the PS3. Yes, it's not a big difference, but neither is the difference in amount of badly scored titles between the two.

Third, take a look at each game's individual page on Metacritics. Notice the difference in numbers of reviews on each game? Zelda (49 reviews), Resistance (37 reviews); Wii Sports (38 reviews), Tony Hawk's Project 8 (23 reviews). It's easier to keep a steady score when you're being reviewed by fewer sites/magazines.

Why am I posting this? Just to make sure that everyone understands that Metacritic scores don't mean shit. And neither does summarizing Metacritic scores, which are already a summarization of other scores..

And finally, when they say that Sony's got bad press, it doesn't mean that people hate the PS3. People love the PS3. It sold out on launch day. Resistance is awesome. There's no negative press for PS3. No more than there is for Wii, anyway. Just because Sony occasionally shits down its pants (as Nintendo has done, oh so many times) doesn't mean their console isn't drop-dead fabulous and popular.

MdaG 12-21-2006 07:49 AM

The only gripe I have with Sony is that they seem like an evil company which would like nothing more than to rule the world and step on the inhabitants...

CrimsonBlue 12-21-2006 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MdaG (Post 375302)
The only gripe I have with Sony is that they seem like an evil company which would like nothing more than to rule the world and step on the inhabitants...

Sounds like Microsoft for 20 years.

MdaG 12-21-2006 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue (Post 375304)
Sounds like Microsoft for 20 years.

That's the only gripe I have with Micro$oft as well :P
Still, I'm a biatch and will probably end up buying Vista unless I turn 100% Linux... Time will tell...

insane_cobra 12-21-2006 09:23 AM

The thing is, Microsoft's been much better at hiding that recently. :)

Their PR people are really earning their wages, whereas Sony's PR people bless us with things like this.