You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2006, 12:52 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to kristine
Default Halo 3???

someone told that Halo is coming out with part 3....im not sure so...can someone tell me???
Old 12-14-2006, 12:56 PM   #2
Psychonaut

http://www.bungie.net/Games/Halo3/

Due out on 360 in 2007.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:09 PM   #3
merely human

Screenshots here:

More here.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 12-16-2006, 04:17 AM   #4
gin soaked boy

By the way, those are early pre-alpha shots with lots of placeholder textures and geometry. The finished game should look much better.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:22 PM   #5
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

Or worse, after they optimize it.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:30 PM   #6
gin soaked boy

Um, what?
Optimization makes things run smoother and look better. This is already running on Xbox 360 hardware.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:38 PM   #7
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

Optimization makes things run smoother, often with the cost of good looking graphics. I'm not saying that it will happen here, but pre-release screenshots often do look a lot better than what we actually get.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:43 PM   #8
Master of time and space

I've only played the first game. It felt too "cute". Are the other games in the same manner?
Old 12-16-2006, 02:48 PM   #9
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fop View Post
Optimization makes things run smoother, often with the cost of good looking graphics. I'm not saying that it will happen here, but pre-release screenshots often do look a lot better than what we actually get.
Interesting, because my experience with Gears of War was the opposite. I thought the screens looked great, but when I finally saw the game in action it was delicious!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 12-16-2006, 04:39 PM   #10
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fop View Post
Actually, that's quite rare and usually happens for two reasons:
  • early shots are photoshopped or prerendered or taken from in-engine cutscenes;
  • features get scaled down when development moves onto the target platform (usually from high-end PCs).
Like I said, when those shots were taken Halo 3 was already up and running on actual Xbox 360 hardware and achieving reasonable frame rates (they are from the pre-alpha multiplayer build some journalists got invited to play at Bungie headquarters). Besides, we already know Xbox 360 is capable of much more spectacular visuals and Bungie is undoubtedly going to get all the resources they need to push the graphical boundaries even further. Don't forget Halo 3 will have to go head to head with Killzone 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
I've only played the first game. It felt too "cute". Are the other games in the same manner?
I've only played the first game as well, but "cute" is not the word I'd use to describe it. It's one of my favorite first-person shooters, despite of its flaws.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:41 PM   #11
FlipFrame

It's worth noting that when the 1up guys visited Bungie for their big preview of Halo3 multiplayer, and even they mentioned that it(the MP) looked less than stellar, especially in contrast to say Gears. They then followed that though, by saying that singleplayer looked substantially better...it was a small peek at it, but it assured them the game will have that next-gen polish.

That said, I haven't bothered to look at any screens online after the ones that appeared in EGM, and these actually look pretty nice, and a measure of how much better the singleplayer can look.

Cheers
Old 12-17-2006, 12:16 AM   #12
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra View Post
I've only played the first game as well, but "cute" is not the word I'd use to describe it. It's one of my favorite first-person shooters, despite of its flaws.
I'm sure was "cuddly wuddly" pink monsters which sqeaked like Ewoks when shot. It is however three years since I last played it so my memory might be deceiving.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:12 AM   #13
gin soaked boy

Oh, them.
Yeah, Grunts were funny. Until the very end when you'd encounter Special Ops Grunts led by Special Ops Covenant Elites. Nasty bastards.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:00 PM   #14

I have to say that Halo is one of the best First-Person Shooters that I've played on the PC. The first time I played it, it found it exciting and fun. Plus, Master Chief is one of the coolest action heroes I've ever controlled. He is a really fierce fighter, and with the rechargable shield, It made him very hard to be killed on the easy setting. However, on my second playthrough, I played it on the normal setting, and the covenant aliens were much smarter this time. My favorite thing to do in the game was whacking one of the covenant aliens in the head with his melee attack.

So, because of how much I loved Halo, I'm looking forward to playing Halo 2, and also learning new information on Halo 3. One question, though, is the single player campaign of Halo 2 great or not?
Old 12-17-2006, 08:08 PM   #15
merely human

Are you going to get an Xbox360, too, Zack?
Old 12-17-2006, 08:19 PM   #16

I do want to, trep, but unfortunately, it won't be this Christmas. My parents told me that they already spent a large amount of money to get my brother Tom, his daughter Serena, my sister Nicole, her husband Chris, and their two daughters Jordan and Maya all here for Christmas, and because of that, they couldn't afford the X-Box 360.

I think I will save up for it, and then buy it sometime next year. But, I'm still excited about both Halo 2, and Halo 3.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:23 PM   #17
merely human

Don't forget, there will be other highly promising titles coming up also for the 360, like Mass Effect, Bioshock, and Assassin's Creed (check out the threads for each game here). Each has adventure-like gameplay elements and stories you'd be intrigued to discover.

Lost Planet looks to be very good as an action shooter well.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:42 PM   #18
Master of time and space

I just picked up Halo, Halo 2 + multiplayer map pack (or whatever) for €20 to try out on my 360. Apparently I can't play Halo on a TFT-monitor since it's PAL-50 only (50 Hz I assume, where my monitor won't go below 60 Hz), but Halo 2 runs fine. I have to agree there is a certain charm to the games, but I don't understand why "everyone" thinks it's so great? I mean it's not like it's in any way superior to say, the Half-life or FarCry series?
Old 01-03-2007, 01:51 PM   #19
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG View Post
I just picked up Halo, Halo 2 + multiplayer map pack (or whatever) for €20 to try out on my 360. Apparently I can't play Halo on a TFT-monitor since it's PAL-50 only (50 Hz I assume, where my monitor won't go below 60 Hz), but Halo 2 runs fine. I have to agree there is a certain charm to the games, but I don't understand why "everyone" thinks it's so great? I mean it's not like it's in any way superior to say, the Half-life or FarCry series?
The Halo franchise is the most over-hyped franchise in the universe.

Firefox rules
Old 01-03-2007, 02:09 PM   #20
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28 View Post
The Halo franchise is the most over-hyped franchise in the universe.
Gears of War is catching on.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives