You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2007, 02:12 PM   #21
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28 View Post
The Halo franchise is the most over-hyped franchise in the universe.
So what? There are millions of happy gamers because of Halo and Halo 2. I'm not exactly sure what context you're trying to impose on it, really. If the game is a lot of fun for those people then leave it be, it's what it is.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-03-2007, 02:55 PM   #22
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
So what? There are millions of happy gamers because of Halo and Halo 2. I'm not exactly sure what context you're trying to impose on it, really. If the game is a lot of fun for those people then leave it be, it's what it is.
What does millions of happy gamers have to do with quality? Some of the best games are the ones that sell the least amount of copies like Psychnonauts, Grim Fandango or Beyond Good and Evil. Even in prince of persia, the best of the series was the one which sold the least.

My beef is more with the reviewers, who seem to hold it higher than a lot of other games that came before and after it that exceed it in quality. If it was on any other platform than the XBOX, I would bet all my clothes it wouldn't have been as popular.

Firefox rules
Old 01-03-2007, 03:25 PM   #23
merely human

I dunno, Soccsie, but it seems like you're imposing your own personal idea of what quality is onto those millions of other gamers and reviewers who happen to love the Halo games and think they're very good titles. You're frustrated by their genuine enjoyment of a game you think doesn't live up to your own standards. Your own taste isn't necessarily shared by millions of other gamers.

I agree, games like Psychonauts and other deserve praise, but you're forgetting reality here. Those games, for whatever reason, weren't able to get the spotlight - blame the publishers, lack of marketing, timing of launch, the cultural climate of the times. That this is so doesn't necessarily indicate that the Halo series is any less deserving of praise by those many people who had some of the best gaming times of their lives playing them. Personally Halo and Halo 2 aren't the kinds of games I'm interested in, but why should I allow my own prejudice to dismiss a game - any game - from the benefit of a doubt?

If you feel you have quite an important perspective on all this, why not play the Halo titles from start to finish and then write a comparative dissertation on them and games you've also played from start to finish (like Psychonaut and Beyond Good and Evil) and ask sites like Gamespy and Salon to publish it? Depending on who your selected audience is, you'll get responses. Try writing the article for a site like Slate.com or Arstechnica.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-03-2007, 11:10 PM   #24
FlipFrame

I'm disheartened when I hear games like Oddworld Stranger, Psychonauts, Okami, Viva Pinata, BG&E and so on do poorly when they are such absolutely excellent games...top grade. But at the same time, it isn't that we were all brainwashed into loving Halo by marketing magic or voodoo reviewers. There's a reason why Halo is beloved by everyone, and why I plunked down the 100 dollar preorder for the Legendary Edition...the game IS incredibly well made, is accessible to everyone and the context is completely understood. I think this is the primary reason why the aforementioned games did poorly; they were harder to sell...harder to explain to the mainstream. Reviewers 'got it', but that wasn't enough to sell them.

Cheers
Old 01-04-2007, 12:08 AM   #25
gin soaked boy

Quote:
My beef is more with the reviewers, who seem to hold it higher than a lot of other games that came before and after it that exceed it in quality. If it was on any other platform than the XBOX, I would bet all my clothes it wouldn't have been as popular.
I don't agree, it would've been just as popular (it was a launch Xbox game, after all, and almost no one believed in Xbox back then). Halo was the best console FPS up to that point, it's as simple as that. Yes, even better than Goldeneye, as almost everyone who's tried replaying Goldeneye recently would surely tell you - it hasn't aged that well.

Halo is over-hyped, but not terribly over-hyped. It's an excellent game as long as you don't compare it to the best PC first-person shooters, and Halo overshadows even those titans with its visceral combat system.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:33 AM   #26
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra View Post
I don't agree, it would've been just as popular (it was a launch Xbox game, after all, and almost no one believed in Xbox back then).
What about the PC?

The Halo demo on PC couldn't grip my interest long enough for me to finish it. Seemed as mediocre an FPS as I've ever played. And I didn't think co-op play could be boring until I played Halo 2 on the Xbox.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:05 AM   #27
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fop View Post
What about the PC?
Who knows? Apart from its bland level design, it was actually comparable with most PC first-person shooters of that time.

Quote:
The Halo demo on PC couldn't grip my interest long enough for me to finish it.
I quite liked it. In fact, I'd definitely put it on my top 10 FPS list, despite of its flaws. The combat is just that much fun!
Old 01-04-2007, 02:20 AM   #28
capsized.

Myth FTW!

Well that and Marathon.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:24 AM   #29
gin soaked boy

Warhammer: SotHR >>>> Myth.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:28 AM   #30
capsized.

NEVARRR!

Coincidentally I discovered this week that Myst, uh, MYTH is still being played online almost ten years after its release. Now if only I could get that scratch out of my disc....
Old 01-04-2007, 02:38 AM   #31
Half Human/Half Producer

Well, and i think Fahrenheit (indigo prophecy) is far better then halo 1+2.

Played halo 1+2 with my homies.
Do you really like those easy settings which looks all the same ?
does reminds me of unreal 1+2 and the tournament series.

Halo is just like another FPS shooter, theres nothing new.
and yes, i think its terribly overrated. because i played the game on a Xbox !! and i don`t even like the console.. so overrated ? YES !
Old 01-04-2007, 05:37 AM   #32
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

Talking about overrated...
Old 01-04-2007, 05:49 AM   #33
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ps3Lover View Post
and yes, i think its terribly overrated. because i played the game on a Xbox !! and i don`t even like the console.. so overrated ? YES !
It's overrated because you played it on the XBox?
Old 01-04-2007, 06:29 AM   #34
Half Human/Half Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP View Post
It's overrated because you played it on the XBox?
as if your mama is black ? jeezz.. read !
Old 01-04-2007, 06:43 AM   #35
Dungeon Master

I read it, and it makes no sense.

In you short posting career here you tried to insult me and two other members for no reason (other than you have no sense of humour) and made a racist remark? Stop trolling - this is your final warning.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:41 AM   #36
Master of time and space

Halo 2 does have an interesting story, but some of the battles are WAY too repetitive. It's too bad because other battles are outstanding and really get my adrenaline pumping. I also like the ego boost I get whenever everyone go "Oooooh, it's da pimpaliscious grand mastah chief!"
Old 01-04-2007, 10:46 AM   #37
gin soaked boy

Quote:
For anyone who has played the game, they know what I'm talking about in the second 2/3's of the game when you go into the alien ship and you go from one room to another that look exactly 100% identical.
Hey, that's great compared to The Library. *shudders*
Old 01-05-2007, 11:06 AM   #38
Half Human/Half Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP View Post
I read it, and it makes no sense.

In you short posting career here you tried to insult me and two other members for no reason (other than you have no sense of humour) and made a racist remark? Stop trolling - this is your final warning.

Well, im sorry ... to say all those words..

im very upset with the way you all talk about "your dream console xbox360" ..
Is it all about graphics ? i prefer more gameplay... like i do like Adventure games because of the gameplay.

Halo 3 is nothing more then a 1st person shooter, again !
Old 01-05-2007, 11:21 AM   #39
gin soaked boy

First-person shooters are also games, with, you know, gameplay. So if you don't like them, that's fine, but you should learn to accept that not everybody shares your tastes.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:28 AM   #40
Half Human/Half Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra View Post
First-person shooters are also games, with, you know, gameplay. So if you don't like them, that's fine, but you should learn to accept that not everybody shares your tastes.
Still there are too much of such games.
I like to see more original titles coming out.
adventure gaming on consoles can be huge hit, if there wasn`t much shooters you like.

i don`t have to learn anything. And i don`t accept that more and more 1st person shooters are gonna be made. Not for my children..

i grew up with adventures. Not this overfloated generation thats playing 1st person shooting games. I hope you`ll get my point. my english is not that good