You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Resident Evil 4 PC

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2007, 02:07 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad View Post
The port wasn't made by Konami itself, as far as I know.

Hmmm, Capcom

Running Slackware Linux
Old 02-10-2007, 02:12 AM   #82

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Quote:
I wonder if the system requirements are still the same. DirectX9.0 video card and all. Never mind that the game looks like running on DirectX7.0 technology all the way. I don't think anyone was expecting something like Shader2.0 whatever support, but practically annihilating all the light sources and thus the illusion of depth that was present on the other machines, on top of making it look like crap with this, that's puzzling. And then you can apparently see enemies coming from a mile... No fog, no darkness, just the same drab shades of ugly brown. Maybe they couldn't get to work everything in time. The port wasn't made by Konami itself, as far as I know.
Wait. Are you saying the PC version is not what the game looked like on consoles? Because I recognize this. It's a game of grey and brown, poor textures and the game is void of any shading, fog or darkness. Every area is bright and lit up like a cloudcovered autumn day.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:26 AM   #83
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daikatana_ View Post
Hmmm, Capcom
Dang, I always mix these two up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemyM
Wait. Are you saying the PC version is not what the game looked like on consoles? Because I recognize this. It's a game of grey and brown, poor textures and the game is void of any shading, fog or darkness. Every area is bright and lit up like a cloudcovered autumn day.
Well, in case you missed the links I provided earlier:

Supposedly daylight areas:
http://www.hidebehind.com/65F336B8
http://www.hidebehind.com/33644324

Supposedly dark areas:
www.hidebehind.com/B49DBB90
http://www.hidebehind.com/695151F8

Appaling, if you ask me.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:59 AM   #84

Quote:
Well, in case you missed the links I provided earlier:

Supposedly daylight areas:
http://www.hidebehind.com/65F336B8
http://www.hidebehind.com/33644324

Supposedly dark areas:
www.hidebehind.com/B49DBB90
http://www.hidebehind.com/695151F8

Appaling, if you ask me.
I guess you can say that they screwed the PC version up.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:27 AM   #85
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

Looks like they're just messing with the brightness to me....

Man, it's STILL not out? It's a good thing I played the Gamecube one isntead of waiting...
Old 02-10-2007, 10:56 AM   #86
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by daikatana_ View Post
Well, Metroid not at all, there is enough 3D shooters for PC and besides, without mouse, it sucks big time.
Sacrilege! Trust me, there isn't a FPS on PC like Metroid Prime. I have never played a straight FPS I liked, but Metroid Prime is one of my favorites! And don't worry about aiming- it's pretty much automatic, and the shooting is by no means the focus of the game.

Quote:
Sanity's Requiem, I don't know, never heard of it.
He meant Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. Personally, I haven't played it.

Quote:
And Zelda came bundled with GC so I played it, it was ok, but in my opinion, Ocarina of Time was much better
Well, there's not much that can compare with Ocarina of Time.

Last edited by MoriartyL; 02-10-2007 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:06 AM   #87
Club a seal or two

Shadow maps are there, but fog and vertex lighting are missing. I refuse to believe there are programmers stupid enough to not know how to do these things properly. These shots must be from an early build or something.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:49 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
Sacrilege! Trust me, there isn't a FPS on PC like Metroid Prime. I have never played a straight FPS I liked, but Metroid Prime is one of my favorites! And don't worry about aiming- it's pretty much automatic, and the shooting is by no means the focus of the game.

Maybe I'll give it a try someday
And actually, I have never seen better FPS than Doom 2 anyway

Running Slackware Linux
Old 02-10-2007, 12:19 PM   #89

I play most FPS'es as they come but the most memorable FPS'es on PC I played was No One Lives Forever, Call of Cthulhu, Far Cry and Chronicles of Riddick. I cannot enjoy a FPS with a mute main character or no story and each of theese gave me alot to chew on.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:09 PM   #90
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayel View Post
These shots must be from an early build or something.
I though so, too, but apparently the game is already out in Japan (Biohazard 4); also, a French gaming site has some official screenshots that look as awful as those posted on Gamespot forums (obviously from a leaked version).
Old 02-10-2007, 02:36 PM   #91
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Hmm, those textures are very spotty for a PC game in 2007.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 02-10-2007, 10:00 PM   #92
Club a seal or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze View Post
I though so, too, but apparently the game is already out in Japan (Biohazard 4); also, a French gaming site has some official screenshots that look as awful as those posted on Gamespot forums (obviously from a leaked version).
Then Capcom must be in league with console makers to undermine PC as a gaming platform, by presenting much worse graphics than what's doable with PC. Seriously, hardware per-vertex lighting is literally two lines of code in Direct3D (sans trivialities such as setting up light position etc). They didn't screw up porting - they deliberately sabotaged it.

Also, it seems they're using PS2 assets as opposed to the graphically superior GC ones.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:33 AM   #93
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

No post 2000 game should look that bad.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:50 AM   #94
Not like them!

All this complaining about graphics puzzles me a little. I mean, sure, it's not as atmospheric. But there's nothing about it that doesn't look playable. The graphics were just a nice plus on the GCN version, not the main attraction.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:53 AM   #95
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
All this complaining about graphics puzzles me a little. I mean, sure, it's not as atmospheric. But there's nothing about it that doesn't look playable. The graphics were just a nice plus on the GCN version, not the main attraction.
Thats true, but we expected more for a PC game in 2007. ... other than adjusting the contrast and making everything look strangely sharp.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 02-11-2007, 05:55 AM   #96
gin soaked boy

That's not true, the graphics and the whole presentation were certainly one of the main draws of Resident Evil 4.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:18 PM   #97
Not like them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra View Post
That's not true, the graphics and the whole presentation were certainly one of the main draws of Resident Evil 4.
I'd hope the main draws would be the unanimous praise it got and the endlessly fresh gameplay which inspired said praise. But if you're right, well.. I'm just sorry to hear that.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:35 PM   #98
capsized.

Quote:
All this complaining about graphics puzzles me a little. I mean, sure, it's not as atmospheric. But there's nothing about it that doesn't look playable.

As said, I don't think anybody's complaining about it being relatively low-tech compared to what's going on in 2007. This is a 2005 game for a 2000 console ported to the PC. But it just reeks of laziness, a cheap cash-in, is butt ugly and nothing like the real "Resident Evil 4" on top of that. It's like those bad Amiga ports Commodore64 users got at the trail end of the machine's life as a commercial gaming platform, quickly made just to get a couple of extra bucks.

From what can be seen on those screenshots (I think there are even a couple of videos on youtube), the visuals affect the playing experience besides not offering those moody visual stimuli. Places that are supposed to be dark...... aren't. Daylight looks exactly the same. Apparently you can see enemies coming from miles that you normally wouldn't, because there is no fog, no illusion of depth, horrible to non-existent lighting of the scenery,.. it's just incredibly meh.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:49 PM   #99
marsan

Quote:
From what can be seen on those screenshots (I think there are even a couple of videos on youtube), the visuals affect the playing experience besides not offering those moody visual stimuli. Places that are supposed to be dark...... aren't.
these two show it pretty well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY7IAO3uCuU (PS2) vs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9kPfA7ydJg (PC)

Old 02-11-2007, 04:08 PM   #100
Not like them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsan View Post
I went to these links expecting to be proven wrong. I was expecting that in motion the difference would be significant. But you know, it just isn't. So there are fewer pretty lighting techniques. So what? It really doesn't look any less fun. (I never particularly liked the whole Mercenaries side-game, so it doesn't look like that much fun anyway, but still.) When I'm frantically attacking enemies, the last thing I care about is whether there are realistic shadows.