You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Resident Evil 4 PC

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2007, 07:14 PM   #61
OB

RE4 is one of and still is one of the best games ever made. I was one of those who thought getting away from the cinematic cameras from the others was a bad move but after playing it (when it was still new), I found out that the change was not a bad decision.

Quote:
No story. No feel. Nothing.
There's plenty of story and the opening cinematic tells you exactly why you are where you are. The rest is up to survival and playing out one of the great game stories.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:02 AM   #62

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra View Post
The Suffering is just decent, I'm afraid.
I did not say it was a great game, just that it's a real horror game.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:07 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Brat View Post
There's plenty of story and the opening cinematic tells you exactly why you are where you are. The rest is up to survival and playing out one of the great game stories.
The intro tells me where I am, but there's not enough feed to keep the game interesting. I feel a lack of storytelling technique, narrative, which I consider a vital component in any horror game/movie.

Like someone said, it's more a shooter than a horror game. Maybe it can be compared to Serious Sam.

Last edited by JemyM; 02-09-2007 at 01:15 AM.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:16 AM   #64
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
I did not say it was a great game, just that it's a real horror game.
I don't know... I enjoyed it, but its focus is on action, not horror, and that's also the case with RE4.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:35 AM   #65

Quote:
I don't know... I enjoyed it, but its focus is on action, not horror, and that's also the case with RE4.

Actually, that's what I said, it is just a shooter placed in a dark environment.

Running Slackware Linux
Old 02-09-2007, 04:46 AM   #66
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsan View Post
oh, the irony. Some months ago a guy almost bit my head off for even claiming that there had been mixed opinions and reviews about Resident Evil 4, and now I see all these people who feel that RE4 wasn't that great.
It is great, but I can see why some people might be disappointed- it's not really a horror game so much as an incredibly inventive action game. It's not particularly scary, but it's extremely fun.

And when I say an action game is great, you ought to listen, since I find most action games annoying and pointless. But if you've got expectations of it being a survival horror game, you're not going to be satisfied.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:06 AM   #67

Quote:
The Suffering have:
1. Spooky or disturbing areas
2. Spooky or disturbing cutscenes or flashbacks
3. Bizarre images flashing over the screen to scare you
4. Many "something just ran past that doorway" or "wtf was that?" scenes
5. Video monitors that you can look into that often shows another scenery than what you see in "real life".
6. Many "wham" scares and spooky music to keep you on the edge

While it's an actiongame it have also put alot of effort into being scary using every cliché in the book.
Blending action+horror is nothing new really, the question is only how far you go. F.E.A.R and Condemned was creepy but they were also action games / first person shooters.

In the beginning of RE4 there's a scene in which you see a shadow inside the house or someone watching the policeman who go out to pee. That's good stuff. It's just not enough of it to make you feel uneased and the gamestuff like sparkling chests of goldcoins or minigames that have nothing to do with building horror does remove the game from the horror and the story and what's left is basicly an action game like you say.

Last edited by JemyM; 02-09-2007 at 06:15 AM.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:28 AM   #68
gin soaked boy

RE4 also employs some horror elements (maybe different kinds of horror, but still horror) so how is that a differentiator?
Old 02-09-2007, 08:18 AM   #69

Quote:
RE4 also employs some horror elements (maybe different kinds of horror, but still horror) so how is that a differentiator?
Differentiator... well, frequency. I mean, even Half-Life 1 or Vampire: Bloodlines are horror games, and they have some of this stuff... but in games like The Suffering, Undying etc, even if they are actiongames they continue to feed the player with this stuff through the entire game. There's not a level that goes by without a reminder that what you are dealing with is a horror game. I have not played the entire game yet, so I do not know if RE4 "grows" in narrative later on, but the first level in games like Undying/The Suffering you see more horror than what I have seen so far in RE4.

Ohwell, I do not know if I make any sense or not. I guess I am dissappointed because people tend to mention the Resident Evil series when talking about scary games and I have not seen it yet.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:49 AM   #70
gin soaked boy

Half-Life 1 is a science-fiction game.
But never mind, let's leave it at that, I don't feel like arguing over any of this either.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:22 AM   #71

Quote:
Ohwell, I do not know if I make any sense or not. I guess I am dissappointed because people tend to mention the Resident Evil series when talking about scary games and I have not seen it yet.

They do, because they are scary. I don't know, if you played RE1, but it is much more scary, than Undying or something similar. As well as RE2 or RE0. And my friend refused to play it, because he was too scared.

Running Slackware Linux
Old 02-09-2007, 12:19 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by daikatana_ View Post
They do, because they are scary. I don't know, if you played RE1, but it is much more scary, than Undying or something similar. As well as RE2 or RE0. And my friend refused to play it, because he was too scared.
I dropped Resident Evil 1 (Playstation) about when I left the mansion and went down underground. I cannot say it effected me much maybe because the ps version is aging. Then again, I tend to watch every horrormovie and play every horrorgame out there so I am probably a bit numb.
I played some Resident Evil 2 but dropped it since I wanted to finish RE1 before I got too far and then I just forgot about both.

I believe this was back in 2002-2003 so it is awhile ago now.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:27 PM   #73

Quote:
I dropped Resident Evil 1 (Playstation) about when I left the mansion and went down underground. I cannot say it effected me much maybe because the ps version is aging. Then again, I tend to watch every horrormovie and play every horrorgame out there so I am probably a bit numb.
I played some Resident Evil 2 but dropped it since I wanted to finish RE1 before I got too far and then I just forgot about both.

I believe this was back in 2002-2003 so it is awhile ago now.

If you own GC, you can try RE1 remake.

Running Slackware Linux
Old 02-09-2007, 12:34 PM   #74
marsan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
It is great, but I can see why some people might be disappointed- it's not really a horror game so much as an incredibly inventive action game. It's not particularly scary, but it's extremely fun.

And when I say an action game is great, you ought to listen, since I find most action games annoying and pointless. But if you've got expectations of it being a survival horror game, you're not going to be satisfied.
right. It depends on what one is looking for in a game. I didn't mean to say that it was a crappy game or something like that. I just wanted to say that the game has a different quality to it than the other resident evil games, so some people like it and others don't. I have friends who don't like it, so I am really looking forward to trying it out on PC, when it's released.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:32 PM   #75

Quote:
I'll check it out if they ever manage to finish that gamecube emulator.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:50 PM   #76
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Yeah its great.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 02-09-2007, 01:59 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva View Post
Yeah its great.

Actually, that was the only reason why I bought GC

Running Slackware Linux
Old 02-09-2007, 03:06 PM   #78
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Actually, that was the only reason why I bought GC
Metroid, Sanity's Requiem or Zelda not interest you then?

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 02-09-2007, 11:48 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva View Post
Metroid, Sanity's Requiem or Zelda not interest you then?

Well, Metroid not at all, there is enough 3D shooters for PC and besides, without mouse, it sucks big time. Sanity's Requiem, I don't know, never heard of it. And Zelda came bundled with GC so I played it, it was ok, but in my opinion, Ocarina of Time was much better

Running Slackware Linux
Old 02-10-2007, 01:20 AM   #80
capsized.

I wonder if the system requirements are still the same. DirectX9.0 video card and all. Never mind that the game looks like running on DirectX7.0 technology all the way. I don't think anyone was expecting something like Shader2.0 whatever support, but practically annihilating all the light sources and thus the illusion of depth that was present on the other machines, on top of making it look like crap with this, that's puzzling. And then you can apparently see enemies coming from a mile... No fog, no darkness, just the same drab shades of ugly brown. Maybe they couldn't get to work everything in time. The port wasn't made by Konami itself, as far as I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsan View Post
so I am really looking forward to trying it out on PC, when it's released.

Your choice. Who would've thought of this? Seems like buying a Cube with the game would be a better option, since it's not that much more expensive at this point anymore. I think I'll either wait until the first emulator is out that can handle the game or play it on my brother's PS2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Brat
I found out that the change was not a bad decision.
There's nothing to argue against this. After looking for same dumb keys , running through the same old environments filled with the same predictable BOOh! scares only to reach the same stupid Umbrella Corporation lab at the endgame, all for the THIRD time... RE3 was a parody of its own stupid self.

Last edited by samIamsad; 02-10-2007 at 01:45 AM. Reason: A+A+B+A+Start+Select+A