You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Resident Evil 4 PC

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2007, 09:43 PM   #101
Club a seal or two

Realistic shadows is one thing, but deliberately omitting moody atmosphere when half of its experience depends on it is another.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:04 AM   #102
gin soaked boy

Agreed, it makes a world of difference. The change is not purely cosmetic, it affects the mood and player's immersion in a very profound way.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:13 AM   #103

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
When I'm frantically attacking enemies, the last thing I care about is whether there are realistic shadows.
No offense, but why do you even pick a horror game if you just want to shoot stuff?
Old 02-12-2007, 01:48 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
No offense, but why do you even pick a horror game if you just want to shoot stuff?

I agree, horror game should be about an overall atmosphere, which includes even graphics. Just shooting zombies around is not enough, in my book...

Running Slackware Linux
Old 02-12-2007, 02:41 AM   #105
capsized.

Ok, did anybody hear much news about this game being ported to the PC at all? Despite the initial press release? I mean, one of the most critically acclaimed games of the last two years finally making its way to the PC and neither the press nor its developers seem to care all that much? Wasn't that a bit suspicious in the first place?

The game will be published by Ubisoft, who signed a deal with Capcom a while ago to bring some of their games to the PC. Not a bad idea, but then, Ubi outsourced that port to a company called SourceNext, and they already didn't do all that well with previous ports like Onimusha3. It seems Capcom doesn't have anything to do with this at all.

In case somebody's still thinking the lack of proper lighting wouldn't affect actual gameplay bits (i.e. shooting and aiming):
http://www.hidebehind.com/9390F650
http://www.hidebehind.com/4D34550E

Just sad...
Old 02-12-2007, 03:07 AM   #106

When I tried Resident Evil 4 in the Playstation 2 emulator after playing the PC version I discovered that aiming in the PS2 version was alot easier and not because of the low framerate... It seems the PC version aims in a 1 inch "grid". On my 22" CRT monitor, trying to move the aim just a tiny little bit to the left will make the aim jump about 1-2 inches, never less. If you try to move your aim back to the right it will again jump 1-2 inches to the other direction.

Now consider that you need to shoot something that is absolutely still (like the crows in the beginning). Since you cannot move your aim less than 1-2 inches at a time, it's near impossible to aim at them at long range even if they do not move at all. Either you will shoot on the right of the target or you will shoot at the left.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:21 AM   #107
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
As I said earlier, it's not a horror game, it's an action game. The fun of the game doesn't come from how atmospheric it is, it comes from two things: The way the gameplay is constantly changing, and the frantic attempts to get away from (and attack) enemies. The atmosphere is a nice plus, but that's all. And this is what I'm saying in hindsight- if I hadn't played the game, I wouldn't know that it wasn't a horror game, or whether the graphics were important. But they're not, not really.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:08 AM   #108

Quote:
As I said earlier, it's not a horror game, it's an action game. The fun of the game doesn't come from how atmospheric it is, it comes from two things: The way the gameplay is constantly changing, and the frantic attempts to get away from (and attack) enemies. The atmosphere is a nice plus, but that's all. And this is what I'm saying in hindsight- if I hadn't played the game, I wouldn't know that it wasn't a horror game, or whether the graphics were important. But they're not, not really.
Maybe it would interest you to know that the controls of the PC version is corrupted because Analog sticks work like they are 2d d-pads, giving you an accuracy of a crippled old lady. So even if you do not enjoy the game because of it's atmosphere you are still screwed.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:39 AM   #109
capsized.

Quote:
Maybe it would interest you to know that the controls of the PC version is corrupted because Analog sticks work like they are 2d d-pads, giving you an accuracy of a crippled old lady. So even if you do not enjoy the game because of it's atmosphere you are still screwed.
Did you play it using a Pad or a keyboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mory
Fair enough, if you feel that way. Regardless of what kind of game it is, action, horror, a turn-based cuckoo clock simulator, I still don't believe that this doesn't dramatically affect the playing experience in a negative way. Even if it wouldn't look as ugly, badly designed and completely incomplete as it does now, and just..er, bad. I mean, this is hardly some kind of simple arcade-ish, abstract low-level concept, think "Tetris", "Pong" or whatever, in which all the fun comes from moving and arranging blocks on the screen to eventually raise your score. No, this is a game that tries to (sorry for using THIS word again) immerse you into a fictional 3D world and a narrative of sorts, and lighting is one of the most important things in almost any game in terms of visuals anyway. Well, at least future generations now have something that reminds them of why... More than ten years old games did lighting better than this port.

Last edited by samIamsad; 02-12-2007 at 06:45 AM.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:55 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad View Post
Did you play it using a Pad or a keyboard?
I have tried with my DualShock 2 joypad, with keyboard and with the MouseAim 2.0a software.

It seems the aim have some kind of annoying "threshold" to move the aim. If you just move the joystick a little bit your aim wont move at all, but if you move it further your aim will suddenly start to move but will move too fast to be controlled. Very annoying as it makes it extremely difficult to finetune your accuracy.

Keyboard works best but you miss out of the accelerated aiming. MouseAim is almost there.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:48 AM   #111
Not like them!

Quote:
Hm. Did RE4 actually have analog control? I don't remember that. In fact, I seem to remember having to hold a button to run.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:23 AM   #112
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

I'm sure pretty much all GC games have analog control.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:36 AM   #113
Not like them!

Y'know what, I'll go and check. Give me a minute.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:45 AM   #114
Not like them!

Okay, I've verified it: The Gamecube version does not have analog control. You can play with either the analog stick or the D-pad. The only advantage of the analog stick is that on Nintendo's official controllers it's more comfortable. That's it. If you're using the analog stick, it only registers at all if you push it a little bit, and past that point there's no difference between pushing it just a little and pushing it all the way. It's just simulating four-direction digital control. Up walks straight, left and right turn, and backwards moves backwards. The B button toggles running, and B and down makes a 180-degree turn. It's not exactly state-of-the-art, but that doesn't matter and most people probably don't even notice. What matters is that it works fine.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:47 AM   #115

Quote:
Y'know what, I'll go and check. Give me a minute.
On a digital joystick, left is left regardless how hard you push the joystick. On an analog joystick the further you push the joystick to the left, the faster the character/ship/car/whatever will turn to the left.

All consoles of today have analog thumbsticks and usually a digital d-pad.

Playstation 2, DualShock 2, have two black analog thumbsticks and a digital d-pad.

GameCube's gamepad also have two analog sticks (grey/yellow) and a digital d-pad.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:49 AM   #116

Quote:
Okay, I've verified it: The Gamecube version does not have analog control. You can play with either the analog stick or the D-pad. The only advantage of the analog stick is that on Nintendo's official controllers it's more comfortable. That's it. If you're using the analog stick, it only registers at all if you push it a little bit, and past that point there's no difference between pushing it just a little and pushing it all the way. It's just simulating four-direction digital control. Up walks straight, left and right turn, and backwards moves backwards. The B button toggles running, and B and down makes a 180-degree turn. It's not exactly state-of-the-art, but that doesn't matter and most people probably don't even notice. What matters is that it works fine.
Works like crap on a PC though. Shooting down one of the crows in the beginning of the game is near impossible even if they sit still on the ground.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:59 AM   #117
Not like them!

Quote:
On a digital joystick, left is left regardless how hard you push the joystick. On an analog joystick the further you push the joystick to the left, the faster the character/ship/car/whatever will turn to the left.

All consoles of today have analog thumbsticks and usually a digital d-pad.

Playstation 2, DualShock 2, have two black analog thumbsticks and a digital d-pad.

GameCube's gamepad also have two analog sticks (grey/yellow) and a digital d-pad.
Thank you for that, erm, enlightening lecture. I know what analog control is, and I'm telling you the original GCN version of Resident Evil 4 (the one which received nearly unanimous praise) does not have analog control. It uses the GCN's analog joystick (Yes, I know that it is analog.) to simulate digital control. And I am telling you -and understand as I say this that I am not a moron who has never played a videogame in his life- that I never had any problem with it.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:45 AM   #118

Quote:
Thank you for that, erm, enlightening lecture. I know what analog control is, and I'm telling you the original GCN version of Resident Evil 4 (the one which received nearly unanimous praise) does not have analog control. It uses the GCN's analog joystick (Yes, I know that it is analog.) to simulate digital control. And I am telling you -and understand as I say this that I am not a moron who has never played a videogame in his life- that I never had any problem with it.
sorry
Old 02-12-2007, 10:19 AM   #119
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

Hah, isn't that Playstation 3's controller? It's hard to tell them apart
Old 02-12-2007, 10:24 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fop View Post
Hah, isn't that Playstation 3's controller? It's hard to tell them apart
It is, actually. But they look just the same anyway