You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General You Lose (X360 vs. PS3)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2007, 11:54 PM   #521
FlipFrame

MS is making around $70 now on each 360 sold as well, as of last Nov.

...and yea, I remember Sony being all about 'True HD', but only when THEY say so...perhaps they simply forgot to say 'so'? *Jeannie Wink*
Old 01-11-2007, 12:12 AM   #522
merely human

And isn't Sony losing, what, up to $305 on each PS3 sold, right? And then the devs reconsider their exclusivity and end up going multiplatform because the PS3 doesn't seem to have the possibility of a high install base for the dev's games to turn a good profit. Which means less exclusive games for the PS3 (when the X360 has the same games already and it's a less expensive console), which means the possibility of less interested consumers because they find out they can get an X360 for cheaper and still enjoy the games on it that they would otherwise enjoy on the PS3.

Sounds like a vicious cycle. And it makes it seem unlikely that the PS3 will go down in price any time soon (that is, within the next couple or so years?) because Sony can't afford to lower the price. It'll take them years to just break even.

EDIT: There's also this as well:

Those PS3s Sales Look Sluggish In Japan | Kotaku.com

Quote:
Well, the PLAYSTATION 3 is selling. And we'd be bullshitting you if we said it wasn't. Thing is, the PS3 ain't exactly flying off the shelf. Sony hit Japan with a huge year-end shipment (one of the biggest since launch apparently). The Wii was nowhere to be seen and sold out at multiple location. And the PS3? Both 20GB and 60GB units remained unsold. Hit the jump for more pics of pricey Sony consoles looking for a good home.
According to other news sources one of the main - if not THE main - reason for the sluggish sales is that many Japanese stated that the PS3 is just way too expensive for them.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 01-11-2007 at 12:18 AM.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:23 AM   #523
Banned User

And the fact that it's the size of the average Japanese apartment.

And the fact that there are fewer games for it than the US ps3.

And the only games to be released for it in Japan since launch have been Mahjong games.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:22 AM   #524

Well, good thing is, we (or I at least) will be able to get one on launch fairly easily probably.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:14 AM   #525
Bad command or file name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post

MotorStorm 720p, 30fps (not True HD) | Joystiq.com, 1/10/07

I distinctly remember Sony declaring 1080p to be true HD.
Wow, conflicting stories. Linky My understanding was that it was originally slated to be 720p but recently upped to 1080p / 60fps. I guess we'll know once and for all next month.

That said, I really don't think this game has what it takes to be a killer app. I'm sure it will be fun for a while but I can't imagine it setting the video gaming world on fire or even convincing more than a handful to purchase the system.

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!
Old 01-11-2007, 06:34 AM   #526
Banned User

Saw some videos of this motorstorm, im really not convinced to buy the game.
But i must say that i have the WRC series on the ps2 and those are made by evolution studio, same as motorstorm. The WRC series where always looking good, and very clear frame rate. But like bysmitty says, first see then believe.

Btw, i was Ps3Lover. So i will be good now forever, ok ?
Old 01-11-2007, 06:56 AM   #527
gin soaked boy

Fine by me. No insulting, calling people this or that, no teasing, trolling or stirring shit. Enjoy your second life here.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:59 AM   #528
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra View Post
Fine by me. No insulting, calling people this or that, no teasing, trolling or stirring shit. Enjoy your second life here.
i will !

Again many sorry`s and lets talk adventure now!
Old 01-11-2007, 09:34 AM   #529
Homer of Kittens

I read about motorstorm (and played the demo). It is at 30FPS and 720p, but it looks absolutely stunning. I think it is arguably the best looking PS3 games todate.

Firefox rules
Old 01-11-2007, 12:39 PM   #530
merely human

I played Motorstorm at EG EB Games a few weeks ago. Something felt odd with the physics to me, as if there was too much air in the tires of the vehicle I was driving. It didn't feel natural. I also was seriously missing the dualshock in the controller - SERIOUS FLAW. I personally think feedback is very essential for most any type of racer and this one didn't feel visceral because of its absence.

Graphics were very nice, on the hyperreal side, but I could've sworn the old gameplay movies had a lot more visual effects going on (more motion blure, more dust, more of everything). I thought the gameworld looked a little too clean for such a dirty off road racing experience.

Then I thought about Rallysport 2 (Xbox), and how much fun I had playing the demo to that one. With the force feedback it made all the difference in the world, and somehow the violently dirty and muddy look of its world looked and felt far more convincing for me.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 01-11-2007 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Oops, I meant EB Games, not EG Games.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:44 PM   #531
FlipFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bysmitty
Wow, conflicting stories. Linky My understanding was that it was originally slated to be 720p but recently upped to 1080p / 60fps. I guess we'll know once and for all next month.

Right, which was then retracted, and was downgraded to 720p. This happened in the span of like a day.

Whatever the case may be, the point was Sony's insistence on the 1080p bulletpoint for the PS3, which a LOT of developers stated was unrealistic and wasteful (system resources for 40% more resolution vs. say anything gameplay related) when 720p looks fantastic, when its turning out that 1080p is only good for simple games with very little going on, like Tennis or RR7. I'm sure others will eventually make it to 1080p if they absolutely must, but its not the overwhelming turn that Sony was making it sound like.

Didn't they boast at some point, 1080p at 120 fps? Regardless of the wording, including "promise" or "could" or "some day", it most definitely won't be happening, "period".
Old 01-11-2007, 01:45 PM   #532
merely human

In other words, Sony lied to us and promised far more than they could realistically deliver.

I'd rather listen to the developers' more realistic statements on feasability about this than Sony's marketing B.S.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:46 PM   #533
FlipFrame

Oh and for what its worth, I actually like Motorstorm; I was a HUGE Ratbag fan (Powerslide) and of pretty much any offroad racing with lots of drift, to contrast and compliment my clinical PGR/Forza racing need. I love the desert environs and the vehicles are appropriately Mad Max. I even dig that music in the demo.

Problem is at 600 bucks no...
Old 01-11-2007, 01:47 PM   #534
merely human

Will there be another Rallysport?
Old 01-11-2007, 01:58 PM   #535
gin soaked boy

Almost certainly.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:59 PM   #536
FlipFrame

Here Trep, more stuff!

A few days ago, Peter Moore said this about Sony's online "service":

Quote:
Speaking exclusively to GamesIndustry.biz, the two senior executives branded the Japanese firm's online service for the newly-launched console a "disaster" and said the company lacks the talent and the "DNA" to ever deliver a suitable online console service for consumers.

"It's going to take [Sony] a couple of years to get up to speed on this, and I'm not sure that they necessarily have the talent, or it's built into who they are as a company," Moore said.

"They're struggling with some of their hardware issues, and apparently they're going to deliver another five million in the next 90 days. But this business is about hardware, software and services now. And the consumer expects that."

Moore's comments came as he explained how much commitment Microsoft has needed to create the currently available Live offering.

"It's taken a company like Microsoft four solid years to get where we are today - the richness of the experience, the consistency of the experience, constantly updating features and making it feel fresh - and we're a software company and this is a software plane," he said.

"It is not in Sony's DNA to be able to get that up and running from zero."

Satchell bore similar sentiments. "If I wanted to make my online service better, and I wanted to give [Sony] a little piece of advice, it would be to copy Xbox Live a little more closely," he said.

"My honest opinion is that it's pretty much a disaster. They keep saying that they have a free service. Well, if they don't have anything, of course it's free. And you know what: what's free about $600?"

So what does Sony do? They completely dodge the comment altogether, and talk about how they DID(past tense) sell 200 million PS products; nevermind that MS talks about their CURRENT(present tense) achievements. Then they go on to nitpick the semantics of Shipped and Sold yadda yadda.

Quote:
At the 2007 Consumer Electronics Show, senior Xbox executives Peter Moore and Chris Satchelle slammed Sony's PlayStation 3 online efforts, calling the new network service a "disaster" and implying the company lacks the talent or "DNA" to launch a successful online service.

But today, SCEA's senior director of corporate communications, Dave Karraker, fired back at Moore's comments. "I would argue that consumers worldwide, to the tune of over 200 million PlayStations, PS2s, PSPs and PS3s, have decided whether or not Sony has the DNA to deliver hardware, software and services to suit this industry," Karraker told GamePro.

"I think if you look at Gran Turismo HD alone," Karraker contines, "it points to the potential of the PlayStation Network and the kind of ground breaking content we plan to offer.

Karakker also clarifies Sony's stance on "shipped" numbers versus "sold" numbers. "To Sony, shipped has always meant 'sold and shipped to retailers,'" Karakker notes. "Microsoft views 'sold' as what has been sold to retailers but could be sitting on pallets in warehouses or stacked on store shelves. 'Sold' to Sony has always meant what the consumer has actually purchased."

"I think many people have incorrectly viewed our competitor's 'sold' figure to believe it was actually sold to consumers, which it was not," Karakker concludes.
Yea um, both companies use "sold to retail" as sold, where shipped is whats leaving their warehouses to then be sold to retail. Simply look at available PS3's in stores all around the country. How can Sony have sold 1 million of they have yet to be completely sold out? Yes, they sold them to retail...

...when Nintendo says sold, for fucks sake they mean SOLD...good luck finding that Wii. (I'm being silly here mind you, not modifying the defnition. )
Old 01-11-2007, 02:02 PM   #537
Homer of Kittens

Regarding game not running at 1080p, well these are all launch games. For a launch game, Motorstorm looks better than most of the 360 games released last year.

In some other news:

More 360 games coming to PS3:
Enchanted Arms
3 more games

Firefox rules
Old 01-11-2007, 02:08 PM   #538
FlipFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28 View Post
Regarding game not running at 1080p, well these are all launch games. For a launch game, Motorstorm looks better than most of the 360 games released last year.

Most? Um...No.

EDIT: Um, last year launch? Yes I'll give you that. But throughout 2006, hardly.

Last edited by EvoG; 01-11-2007 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Reading Comprehension FTW
Old 01-11-2007, 02:09 PM   #539
FlipFrame

...and just to clarify one thing, I've heard in some circles that SOLD could also mean reorders from retail. For example, so and so SHIPS 1 million units to retail, and only when retail requests MORE units, do those previous 1 million units get upgraded from SHIPPED to SOLD.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:10 PM   #540
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoG View Post
Most? Um...No.
Um........ Yeah.

Firefox rules