You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General You Lose (X360 vs. PS3)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2007, 02:19 PM   #541
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28 View Post
Regarding game not running at 1080p, well these are all launch games. For a launch game, Motorstorm looks better than most of the 360 games released last year.
Even I have a ceiling as to how important graphics are to me. So what if they look better than the 360's graphics according to you and some people? I ultimately cannot care more than I already do, I want GOOD GAMEPLAY, GOOD CONCEPTS, and GOOD OVERALL QUALITY. I also want TO ABLE TO AFFORD THE SYSTEM. If I can get as good or better a console for my money that offers many of the same games a more expensive console has, then I want the less expensive console.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-11-2007, 02:25 PM   #542
FlipFrame

^That too. Absolutely Trep, but he is a bit misguided in his thinking. Motorstorm does not look as good as PGR3 for example, and that was a launch title. I only argue because I like to give credit where its due, not 'just cuz'.

Yes Motorstorm is very pretty, but lets avoid the bias eh?
Old 01-11-2007, 02:27 PM   #543
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoG View Post
Here Trep, more stuff!
I already know about all that, been reading it the past couple days. I would slap Peter Moore for stooping so low. What the hell does he (and MS by extension) hope to gain by playing dirty and using Sony's own tactics? He should've just shut up and forged ahead and let Live speak for itself.

I think it would've been admirable of him if he had said something like, "To all you Live subscribers, thank you for your support and your patience. I know our service is not perfect and we apologize for that, but we will continue to strive to bring out the very best offerings, features, and support your money can buy. You are the ones who make it possible, and together we can make Live the most awesome online console gaming community out there, the only one you'll ever want to be a part of."

Or something to that effect. I mean, a little humility does go a very long way. Let that be a lesson to Sony.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-11-2007, 02:30 PM   #544
FlipFrame

Oh, you know what, I say let him. Whats the ratio of Sony to MS attacks? 4:1? 8:1? Why is it when you read an MS "attack" its less derisive sounding than a Sony one?

Sony started all this, and honestly, if you're faced with the question, "why are you charging for Live! when Sony's is free?", what else CAN you do but explain why? He didn't embellish or lie...its true, Sony is NOT a software company as much as MS is not a hardware company. Sony has never had great development software nor online capabiliites EVER.

No Trep, he was cleared for takeoff on this one. I wouldn't care to see them exaggerate claims, but he spoke honestly.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:38 PM   #545
merely human

I do agree, voGsie, but only in terms of stating very provable facts against Sony and its behaviour all this time in how it handles marketing, public relations, and overall corporate reputation. But that's it.

I still insist that Microsoft has more to gain by playing the humility card and simply letting Live speak for itself. After all, we ALL know - we gamers, the press, developers, and publishers - how far advanced Live is at this point now in its quality of service, content, and sheer number of subscribers. In fact, I think, the more humility MS maintains, the more they'll make Sony look like the complete arrogant, empty promising company they've been for all this time.

It's practically inevitable at this point that Sony cannot make their online service as sophisticated and intricate as MS's Live without charging money for it. I wouldn't be surprised if they do end up forcing PS3 owners to pay a subscription fee down the line. Upgrading and maintaining such a service is very expensive.

I seriously should go dig out and read Sun Tzu's The Art of War again.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:44 PM   #546
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoG View Post
^That too. Absolutely Trep, but he is a bit misguided in his thinking. Motorstorm does not look as good as PGR3 for example, and that was a launch title. I only argue because I like to give credit where its due, not 'just cuz'.

Yes Motorstorm is very pretty, but lets avoid the bias eh?
Well that's what you claim, but I have seen both in my same TV (having played both demos), and I have to disagree with you. Motorstorm looks better than PGR3.

Firefox rules
Old 01-11-2007, 02:44 PM   #547
merely human

Good for you, then, Soccsie. Whatever rocks your boat.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:48 PM   #548
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Good for you, then, Soccsie. Whatever rocks your boat.
You rock my boat

Firefox rules
Old 01-11-2007, 03:00 PM   #549
merely human

Stop.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:07 PM   #550
FlipFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I still insist that Microsoft has more to gain by playing the humility card and simply letting Live speak for itself. After all, we ALL know - we gamers, the press, developers, and publishers - how far advanced Live is at this point now in its quality of service, content, and sheer number of subscribers. In fact, I think, the more humility MS maintains, the more they'll make Sony look like the complete arrogant, empty promising company they've been for all this time.

It's practically inevitable at this point that Sony cannot make their online service as sophisticated and intricate as MS's Live without charging money for it. I wouldn't be surprised if they do end up forcing PS3 owners to pay a subscription fee down the line. Upgrading and maintaining such a service is very expensive.
Well all things aside, I agree 100%; its done wonders for Nintendo. I guess if you HAVE to say anything about a competitor, so far MS has kept it as neutral sounding as you can. But sure, if you can, say nothing, I agree.

Quote:
...Sun Tzu's The Art of War again.
I never played that...is it old school?
Old 01-11-2007, 03:12 PM   #551
merely human

voGsie
Old 01-11-2007, 03:16 PM   #552
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj_
And then Peter Moore and Microsoft introduced a bunch of septuagenarian belly dancer women onstage gyrating to M.C. Hammer's Can't Touch This. Probably as a way to attract the older generation to the Xbox360 to try to lure them away from the Wii.
Yes, and I wish they hadn't.

to Aj_ for deleting his post and making this one look silly.

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 01-11-2007 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:20 PM   #553
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Didn't delete my comment fast enough, apparantly I missed a page where you were talking about Moore.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:21 PM   #554
FlipFrame

Hah, shall we talk about the jumping-the-gun arrogance of Sony and their *cough* Emmy for the Sixaxs controller!

Long story short:

Sony proclaimed (in said press release), that the SIXIAXIS OMG won an Emmy! Thats how much the PS3 roX0rz!

People were incredulous, looked into it and asked the Emmy committee straight out...

...Emmy commitee said Sony was wrong, that they had in fact won for a Tech achievement for the Dual Shock Analog, just as Nintendo then won for the D-pad...keep in mind the SHOCK part of the sixaxis is MIA. ZING!

...someone asked a Sony PR Bot about this, and responded bluntly, "Sony won and Emmy for the Sixaxis, that is correct"

...Emmy chairperson came out then and clarified all the specifics on what exactly Sony won and that they were wrong, it had nothing to do with the Sixaxis...

...then we come to the link above...the disappearing sixaxis emmy presser...below, saved for posterity

Again folks, you can't make this shit up...and you STILL wonder why all the Sony bashing? Pah leez
Old 01-11-2007, 03:30 PM   #555
merely human

Hey, we're not bashing Sony. We're just asking them to own up.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:43 PM   #556
FlipFrame

Exactly, but we'll be seen as bashing Trep, so lets just hold eachother tight and prepared for the fury of the SDF!

...especially as I add...

Analyst: PS3 Stock Left in Channel 'Troubling'

(sorry, but I made it that huge for laughs )

Quote:
McNealy went on to note that the PS3 has been readily in stock in early January, with many retailers offering both the 20GB and 60GB versions. Nintendo's Wii, on the other hand continues to sell out quickly when shipments come in. "It is our position that while the PS3 launch is seven+ weeks old, we find it a little troubling to find the console in stock," he said. "There will likely be much time spent by investors and analysts trying to read the sales data from seven weeks and extrapolate for the rest of CY07. Our current assumption has been that the PS3 cross-over point between supply and demand would happen in the June quarter, when the PS3 would be widely available everywhere. We are surprised to see the PS3 in stock in some stores at this point, and are reviewing why this could be the case and what factors could change this over the next 12 months."

There are a number of factors that could be contributing to the PS3's current situation. Here are McNealy's main points:

• Lack of new games at this point:
  • It's still $600:
  • No help from the Blu-Ray group yet on value proposition:
  • Slow road map for exclusive titles on the PS3 this calendar year?

If PS3 sales lag behind expectations, McNealy said that publishers like Electronic Arts and Take-Two face the greatest exposure. THQ and Activision, on the other hand, may be able to offset any possible PS3 weakness with Nintendo Wii exposure or big name movie-based titles set for multiple platforms during the summer.

"With a strong number of Xbox 360s already shipped and widely in-stock everywhere, we believe that MSFT will likely be at the lower end of its FY forecast, and as a result, we are trimming our second half of CY07 assumptions. Furthermore, we have previously assumed that an Xbox 360 hardware price cut was likely in the second half of CY07, but we are now less certain of that and believe it could be pushed out to the first half of CY08," he said.

McNealy further explained, "We have maintained that one of the key unit milestones for an Xbox 360 price cut could be 15MM or 20MM units, and with our expectations of MSFT reaching 20MM units now pushed into 2008, the price cut assumption may also get pushed out. Keep in mind that MSFT could have a tremendous 1-2-3 punch this holiday, behind two big titles (Halo 3 and Grand Theft Auto with exclusive episodic content for the Xbox 360) and a possible $100 hardware price cut should they still cut the price this year. However, other factors behind an Xbox 360 hardware price cut should be considered, including one scenario where SNE is forced to cut pricing on the PS3 in CY07 to help generate sales momentum. Our research indicates that MSFT would like to maintain its $200 price differential between the Xbox 360 and PS3."
I snipped a lot of meat, so you're best just peeping the link yourself (you can't miss it, its the big one above)
Old 01-11-2007, 03:44 PM   #557
merely human

O god, voGsie. Can you not make that font even bigger than it already is?

Yeah, I just read that elsewhere. Like I've said before, Sony reaps what it sows.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:47 PM   #558
FlipFrame

I'm sorry Trep, but I did state I did it for fun. Yes immature, but startling nonetheless.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:50 PM   #559
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNealy
Our research indicates that MSFT would like to maintain its $200 price differential between the Xbox 360 and PS3.
This is because Microsoft knows that Sony CANNOT even remotely afford to lower the price of the PS3. As we all know, Sony loses up to $305 for each unit sold, and even if they begin to get a long list of games coming in it'll take them years before they can break even and thus even dream of considering lowering the PS3's price.

Quote:
I'm sorry Trep, but I did state I did it for fun. Yes immature, but startling nonetheless.
You're evil.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:51 PM   #560
FlipFrame

Quote:
You're evil.
Well how often do you have an opportunity, within a single day even, to post a bunch of Sony fubar news!

...oh, thats right...