You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Nintendo DS or PSP?

View Poll Results: Which hand-held system is better?
Nintendo DS 31 64.58%
PSP 17 35.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2005, 10:17 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
Someone said the PSP is "for those who know what they want" and the DS is "for those who want what they don't know". It's a bit of generalization but it rings true for the most part.
In a nutshell: DS is a games machine. PSP is a media center that plays games.
Old 09-17-2005, 05:25 PM   #62
I'm complicated

Send a message via MSN to smashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
Yeah, I'd love to own a Sega Nomad, but they are a bit expensive to get and also this pal/ntsc thing isn't clear to me.
It's also too heavy to be a handheld, and the screen is really small. It have a lot of compatibility issue with the Megadrive games, not only the demarcation between pal and ntsc.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:27 PM   #63
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Yeah, that's a dumb argument, tempsie. I'm what, 39, and I'm supposed to like only mature themed games? I can't pop in Project Gotham Racing 2 on my Xbox and be a total brat and I can't get all weak over Psychonauts's cute character designs? Granted, most of Nintendo's titles don't interest me in the very least (I got over Mario and Donkey Kong when I hit puberty, ironically), but doesn't mean they should never be an option to me or anyone else my age.
You're a dumb argument! I never said that you can't like them, i'm saying that most don't. Plus, you're talking about psychonauts, and i'm talking about cutesy asian games which apply to a niche market in the rest of the world, the same games nintendo loves putting out. Try reading before bitching.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:48 AM   #64
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
You're a dumb argument! I never said that you can't like them, i'm saying that most don't.
You got any numbers to support what you're saying. Have you got any hard facts that actually say "Most people over age 20 do not like playing games with flashy colours"?

It just sounds extremely narrow-minded to ignore every game with bright colors.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:10 AM   #65
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

Quote:
You're a dumb argument! I never said that you can't like them, i'm saying that most don't. Plus, you're talking about psychonauts, and i'm talking about cutesy asian games which apply to a niche market in the rest of the world, the same games nintendo loves putting out. Try reading before bitching.
I happen to love those overly cute asian games!

Then again, I think Godzilla is cute...
Old 09-18-2005, 10:16 AM   #66

Actually, it's vice versa. Most mature gamers love Zelda, Mario, and so forth, while the underaged crowd only aim for the latest 1337 shooters with as much blood as possible - and GTA of course (which I like too).

Some of the greatest games on the PS2 are cutesy games (somehow it's become a genre of it's own now, with all the big, strong grown up 14 year olds calling them kiddy-games). Jak & Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Katamari Damacy are all cute games. Just like some of the greatest games on the Gamecube is "mature" titles, like Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 4.

And where do we actually place anime-style graphics? Final Fantasy has always been cute in my opinion.

I have no more to say.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:50 AM   #67
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjko
You got any numbers to support what you're saying. Have you got any hard facts that actually say "Most people over age 20 do not like playing games with flashy colours"?

It just sounds extremely narrow-minded to ignore every game with bright colors.
When the **** have I said anything about flashy colors? Did I say anything about colors anywhere? No, I didn't, I said kiddy games. That EXCLUDES zelda and mario, because they appeal to a wide range of ages.

Quit quoting me as saying things that I never said.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:58 AM   #68

Quote:
When the **** have I said anything about flashy colors? Did I say anything about colors anywhere? No, I didn't, I said kiddy games. That EXCLUDES zelda and mario, because they appeal to a wide range of ages.
Out of interest, what kind of kiddy games are you referring to? Ignoring TV show conversions for obvious reasons.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:05 AM   #69
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
Out of interest, what kind of kiddy games are you referring to? Ignoring TV show conversions for obvious reasons.
Nintendogs, Hello Kitty Roller Rescue, anything pokemon or digimon, Disney's Winnie the Pooh's Rumbly Tumbly Adventure, Animal Crossing, Doshin the Giant etc etc.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:12 AM   #70
Super Moderator

Quote:
...Disney's Winnie the Pooh's Rumbly Tumbly
http://65.24.76.65/sounds/televis/pooh/oh_yes.mp3

yea it's
Old 09-18-2005, 11:40 AM   #71
El Luchador

Quote:
Nintendogs, Animal Crossing, Doshin the Giant etc etc.
So, they're not action games. Then they suddenly become kiddie games? No.

So, then what? They're easy? I see, when you're mature you're better at video-games. So, therefore any game that doesn't present the same difficulty as Grand Theft Auto is suddenly a kiddie game? No.

So, what's left? Cartoony character design? Bright colors? That they're non-violent? These are all superficial properties of a game, that in no way actually make a game "kiddie"!

I must apolagize though, because you're obviously not narrow-minded, and blatantly ignoring any game that might appear as "kiddie", as you've already said Mario and Zelda don't fall under that category.

I still don't understand what exactly makes Nintendogs and Animal Crossing kiddie games, but it has become immediately clear that you do. Maybe you'd care to enlighten me, without just listing which games are and are not kiddie games.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:52 AM   #72
Banned User

Quote:
So, they're not action games. Then they suddenly become kiddie games? No.

So, then what? They're easy? I see, when you're mature you're better at video-games. So, therefore any game that doesn't present the same difficulty as Grand Theft Auto is suddenly a kiddie game? No.

So, what's left? Cartoony character design? Bright colors? That they're non-violent? These are all superficial properties of a game, that in no way actually make a game "kiddie"!

I must apolagize though, because you're obviously not narrow-minded, and blatantly ignoring any game that might appear as "kiddie", as you've already said Mario and Zelda don't fall under that category.

I still don't understand what exactly makes Nintendogs and Animal Crossing kiddie games, but it has become immediately clear that you do. Maybe you'd care to enlighten me, without just listing which games are and are not kiddie games.
Well, there's not much point in arguing with a fanboy.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:30 PM   #73
El Luchador

Quote:
Well, there's not much point in arguing with a fanboy.
You know what? **** you. I bring reasonable arguments to the discussion, while you give me useless lists of completely unrelated games.

So I'm a kiddie game fanboy now? What the ****?

EDIT: I should've just written some fancy, witty response to you. But frankly, I'm just pissed off.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:39 PM   #74
SamNMax

This shit is bananas. B-A-N-A-N-A-S.

Old 09-18-2005, 02:41 PM   #75
Banned User

Quote:
You know what? **** you. I bring reasonable arguments to the discussion, while you give me useless lists of completely unrelated games.

So I'm a kiddie game fanboy now? What the ****?

EDIT: I should've just written some fancy, witty response to you. But frankly, I'm just pissed off.
OooooooooOOOOOOOoooooooooH i'm SCURRED!
Old 09-18-2005, 09:40 PM   #76
El Luchador

Quote:
OooooooooOOOOOOOoooooooooH i'm SCURRED!
F***heads like you make me wish this forum was dead.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:41 PM   #77
I'm complicated

Send a message via MSN to smashing

Chill man! Let's not get emotional about things here. Everyone have their preference, and it's only understandable for people to disagree. Rather than trying to convince the other to agree on your point of view, why not seek a compromise in agreeing to disagree?

I personally think that the charges of Nintendo DS have more kiddie games than PSP is unfounded, but if tempsie think otherwise, so be it. I still enjoy playing with Nintendogs whether it's kiddie or not.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:04 PM   #78
Fat Green Sumo

Send a message via AIM to Falko

PSP. Better and bigger screen. And Lumines.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:59 PM   #79
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falko
PSP. Better and bigger screen. And Lumines.
You do know you can play Lumines on a cell phone, right?
Old 09-19-2005, 12:09 AM   #80
Puts the 'e' in Mark

I don't think that's out yet, and I'm quite skeptical of whether it's going to be quite as good as the original. I mean, Lumines kind of needs to be played on a PSP.

You can also get a DS with Meteos though, and borrow someone's PSP for Lumines.