You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Nintendo DS or PSP?

View Poll Results: Which hand-held system is better?
Nintendo DS 31 64.58%
PSP 17 35.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2005, 12:01 PM   #41
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Ah. So then instead of "save all your money", "scour all of ebay" might be more appropriate.
It does look pretty cool, and using the regular Sega Genesis cartridges was an excellent design feature.
It must have been shockingly expensive though, because I've never seen one at a thrift store. I've seen stacks (and I mean literal stacks) of Sega Genesis and Sony Playstations, a few Sega Dreamcasts, Nintendos of every possible description, a Panasonic 3DO, and even the occasional filthy and abused Sega Saturn, Xbox, or PS2, but never a Sega Nomad.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 09-14-2005, 12:08 PM   #42
Epinionated.

You missed Atari Jaguar, Mega-CD and Amiga CD32.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:33 PM   #43
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
You missed Atari Jaguar, Mega-CD and Amiga CD32.
I've never seen those either, or at least they didn't stand out from the usual pile of electronic dreck.
Every once in a while a real antique like an Intellivision, Colecovision, or Atari console crops up, but they're never complete.
Besides, I'm already living in the Macintosh Museum, so I don't need to start a gaming console museum also.

Scottmate

Share the love.

<3
Old 09-15-2005, 04:17 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by copycat
But keep in mind that the screens are really crap and I mean crap... The DS also looks like a kid's toy.
Have you even tried one yet? The screens have very good quality. As for the kid's toy comment (what a surprise, nintendo=kiddy, I never heard that before) it's your opinion. I personally think it looks great and stylish, it's a pretty nice looking machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
If I had to pick, which I probably wouldn't, i'd go with the PSP, because I believe it has less of those nintendo cutsey kid games.
Kid games? I always love these comments. Just because a game can be played by people of all ages does it mean it's a kid game? I love the 2D Mario games, and last time I checked I wasn't a kid. Oh, I forgot: a game needs hookers to be a cool and mature game.
Let me guess: a console in which 90% of the games are racing games is the cool and mature thing to own...

Quote:
But what about Nintendo? They deliver a slightly improved (more stars, etc.) eight year old launch title with crap controls (Mario 64 DS) and a bunch of tech demos at full retail price (Wario Ware, anyone?).
Again, have you even tried out a DS yet or the games you mentioned? I own both of these games, and I really don't understand what you're saying. Crap controls on Mario 64 DS? You must be joking. Warioware: Touched! a tech demo at full retail price? What the hell are you talking about, this is a fully developed game, and a blast to play. It's easily one of the best games I've played this year.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:36 AM   #45
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funktion
Have you even tried one yet? The screens have very good quality. As for the kid's toy comment (what a surprise, nintendo=kiddy, I never heard that before) it's your opinion. I personally think it looks great and stylish, it's a pretty nice looking machine.
Compared to the widescreen PSP screen the DS has two pitifully small screens. Compared to the pathetic GBA screen it is an improvement, but no PSP.

I've got both and it's no comparison. The two screens are fine, but you can only look at one at a time.

Quote:
Kid games? I always love these comments. Just because a game can be played by people of all ages does it mean it's a kid game? I love the 2D Mario games, and last time I checked I wasn't a kid. Oh, I forgot: a game needs hookers to be a cool and mature game.
Let me guess: a console in which 90% of the games are racing games is the cool and mature thing to own...
No it's the cutsy primary coloured graphics that do it. You don't need to be a kid to enjoy kiddie games, but it doesn't negate the criticism although Nintendo have been trying hard to get away from it with Resident Evil et all.

PS. Have YOU played a psp. It doesn't have 90% racing games. The PS2 has the widest range of games styles of any console on the market and the PSP will probably be similar. It has maybe 3 or 4 racing games at the moment as does the DS.

Quote:
Again, have you even tried out a DS yet or the games you mentioned? I own both of these games, and I really don't understand what you're saying. Crap controls on Mario 64 DS? You must be joking. Warioware: Touched! a tech demo at full retail price? What the hell are you talking about, this is a fully developed game, and a blast to play. It's easily one of the best games I've played this year.
Sorry compared to the sublime N64 controls the Mario DS thumb strap is CRAP. Every review I have read has complained about the controls. You do get used to it, but it is hideous.

Warioware is just a series of 5 second mini-games that display the variety of features on the DS. It could easily be a tech demo. It's not really a full developed game.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:28 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
PS. Have YOU played a psp. It doesn't have 90% racing games. The PS2 has the widest range of games styles of any console on the market and the PSP will probably be similar. It has maybe 3 or 4 racing games at the moment as does the DS.
Yes, I DID try it (I only comment when I have some experience to back it up; I'm not a "fanboy", last time I checked I don't get paid by any of these companies, I pay them, so my comments are "only" my personal opinion, and I don't feel the need to blindly defend any of them), and I wasn't impressed. The same way I wasn't impressed with the "widest range of games styles" of the PS2. For some reason I didn't buy one...
Simply put it I mainly love RPG games, "complex" strategy games, adventure games and FPS's with RPG elements. So I'm mostly a PC gamer. When I buy a console it's because I want to play something different. I don't care for FPS on consoles (I love my mouse... ), I'm not a fan of racing games, and pretty much most other console genres.
I bought a DS because I wanted something different from what I play on the PC, and I got something different. I've been having a blast with games like the already mentioned Warioware: Touched! and other games like Project Rub and Another Code: Two Memories, and things like Electroplankton, plus some "old" GBA games I bought to play on my DS (Castlevania games, Advance Wars, Speedball 2 (I have it on the Amiga, PC, and now GBA ), ...). It may not be the best in terms of graphics (no doubt the PSP is superior in terms of raw power, but then again for someone who plays games for as long as I do graphics don't mean a thing), but these hardware "limitations" in my opinion allows the developers to focus on something most seem to forget these days: actual playability. And when properly used the touchscreen allows some great and good'old fun.

I look at what the PSP has to offer and I see the same things I see on the PS2 (in terms of games), and that simply doesn't attract me. In terms of the UMD format what's so great about watching a film on such a small screen, especially since several of these releases are cropped (to avoid showing black bars...), not to mention these releases are more expensive than a dvd, and without any extras on most releases. I love cinema, and this simply doesn't seem like a "proper" way to enjoy a film (then again it would be hard to find a film I enjoy on UMD; how many Wong Kar-Wai films are available on UMD?).

Quote:
Sorry compared to the sublime N64 controls the Mario DS thumb strap is CRAP. Every review I have read has complained about the controls. You do get used to it, but it is hideous.
That's your opinion. I never had the slightest problem with the controls of Mario 64 DS, but then again I don't use the thumb strap to control it (and I don't have to).

Quote:
Warioware is just a series of 5 second mini-games that display the variety of features on the DS. It could easily be a tech demo. It's not really a full developed game.
Are you aware that this isn't the first game in the Warioware series, and that the first one (for the GBA) has the same concept? The DS game is as developed as the other games in the series, it's part of the concept of the games. So this wasn't made as a tech demo, but as a "full" game (and it's a blast to play, I may add). Have YOU played the game, or is your opinion just based on reviews?
Before playing the first game on the series I couldn't see how this concept could result in a fun game, but then I played it on a friend's GBA and I had a blast! This series of games are totally bizarre and screwed up, and great fun to play...
Old 09-15-2005, 06:31 AM   #47
Psychonaut

Quote:
Yes, I DID try it (I only comment when I have some experience to back it up; I'm not a "fanboy", last time I checked I don't get paid by any of these companies, I pay them, so my comments are "only" my personal opinion, and I don't feel the need to blindly defend any of them), and I wasn't impressed. The same way I wasn't impressed with the "widest range of games styles" of the PS2. For some reason I didn't buy one...
Fair enough, but I was responding to you using the same argument against Copycat because you didn't like that opinion of the DS. Everyone else is just expressing their opinion as well.

The DS does have some nice games (as I said I own both a DS and a PSP and have fun with both), but it's not the hotbed of innovation that people are making out.

Quote:
Simply put it I mainly love RPG games, "complex" strategy games, adventure games and FPS's with RPG elements. So I'm mostly a PC gamer. When I buy a console it's because I want to play something different. I don't care for FPS on consoles (I love my mouse... ), I'm not a fan of racing games, and pretty much most other console genres.
Strange as the PS2 has a very wide and varied RPG collection as well as survival horror games.

Your loss and of course your choice.

I can't disagree with your PC choices (or the preference to the mouse) as I play alot of the same games.

Quote:
Are you aware that this isn't the first game in the Warioware series, and that the first one (for the GBA) has the same concept? The DS game is as developed as the other games in the series, it's part of the concept of the games. So this wasn't made as a tech demo, but as a "full" game (and it's a blast to play, I may add). Have YOU played the game, or is your opinion just based on reviews?
Before playing the first game on the series I couldn't see how this concept could result in a fun game, but then I played it on a friend's GBA and I had a blast! This series of games are totally bizarre and screwed up, and great fun to play...
Again with the accusations of not having experienced what i'm commenting on It was crap in the first version and it's still crap with a touchpad. IMO.

Fun in short doses, but not something i'd waste my time on. Like those Mario Party games
Old 09-15-2005, 06:59 AM   #48
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Quote:
and they stepped out of the technological race, which is a shame.
How is this a bad thing, exactly? "Oh, I'm in pain! I'm given the choice between a cheap, reasonably-powered handheld and a fairly-pricey, well-powered held! It feels like the world's falling apart!"

Nobody's forcing you to buy the cheap one, and if you think it's failing because it's "under-powered", think again. Everybody's different, and therefore there will always be a place for both the PSP and DS. I don't feel like it's fair to say that its screens are "crap", because they look pretty nice. They're certainly not up to the PSP standard, but that's why you could, hypothetically, buy two DSs for the price of one PSP.

To sum it all up in a crappy poem:

Some people have money,
some people don't.
Some people care for graphics,
some people not so much.
Some are even in the middle.
Ain't that a lovely bunch?

And to those complaining about kiddie graphics. Please. You're playing video games, for crying out loud. It's not exactly the definition of maturity. You're not cool. If you don't like the gameplay, fine. But if the only reason you're not playing a Mario game is because the colors make you feel less manly, that's just pathetic.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:38 AM   #49
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjko

And to those complaining about kiddie graphics. Please. You're playing video games, for crying out loud. It's not exactly the definition of maturity. You're not cool. If you don't like the gameplay, fine. But if the only reason you're not playing a Mario game is because the colors make you feel less manly, that's just pathetic.
Average age for a gamer is 29.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:48 AM   #50
El Luchador

Quote:
Average age for a gamer is 29.
What's your point? That gaming is mature?
Old 09-15-2005, 10:11 AM   #51
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjko
What's your point? That gaming is mature?
Point is, it's not a kid's hobby, so why would we want to play kiddy games?
Old 09-15-2005, 10:31 AM   #52

Quote:
Fair enough, but I was responding to you using the same argument against Copycat because you didn't like that opinion of the DS. Everyone else is just expressing their opinion as well.
I don't have a problem with people's opinions, like I mentioned I don't receive any money for a DS or PSP sold so I couldn't care less about what everyone buys. What I don't agree, and I had to express my opinion, is that for some reason it's now "cool" to bash Nintendo because either the consoles look like "kiddy" toys or the games are for kids and everyone who owns anything from Nintendo is a Pokemon fan. Like I mentioned I'm not a kid and I really enjoy their games and no, I'm not a Pokemon fan...
I really don't understand all this "if it's Sony it's cool and mature", and everyone else sucks. Either it's "Nintendo make kiddy games" or "XBox is for losers, because it's from M$crosoft". Sometimes I have to wonder if Sony is brainwashing people...

Quote:
Strange as the PS2 has a very wide and varied RPG collection as well as survival horror games.
There's nothing strange, I said I like RPG's, not RPG-lite (more like RPG-diet... ). I like Fallout, Arcanum, (...), not Final Fantasy and clones, never cared for any.
And no, I don't care for the survival horror genre (except the old Alone in the Dark games).

Quote:
Your loss and of course your choice.
And believe me, I'm a very happy and healthy person...

Quote:
Again with the accusations of not having experienced what i'm commenting on It was crap in the first version and it's still crap with a touchpad. IMO.
You're saying this because I used caps in "YOU"? Sorry, I couldn't resist.
You see you started it with the "Have YOU played a psp", I really had to give you a taste of your own medicine. Like I mentioned I only speak of what I know or experience, so I was just returning the "favor".
And since you know about the first Warioware game I find your comment about the DS game being a tech demo a little puzzling.
Anyway, it's your opinion that it's crap, and it's my opinion that it's a blast to play, so I guess we agree to disagree...
Old 09-15-2005, 01:52 PM   #53

Send a message via AIM to copycat

Quote:
As I mentioned above, I have both a DS and a PSP. And I have a Game Cube and I used to have every single console Nintendo ever produced.

I love and loved all my Nintendo consoles for being dedicated to gaming and I spend thousands of hours playing Mario and Zelda games.

Nintendo have always been superior to other vendors in terms of gameplay and characters. But they have always sucked in industrial design. Granted, the Game Cube controller is the best gamepad ever. But look at the original Game Cube: It was purple! It's a crime to even use such a color for a sleek piece of home electronics, which sits right under your TV and stereo.

The DS is silver, OK, but look at the material used: Cheap plastic. Look at the buttons and the D-Pad: Both too small - even for small fingers like mine. I know the DS is focusing on stylus/touchpad control - but if you want to come up with a revolutionary new design – leave the old stuff behind! Screw the D-pad and buttons and just deliver the touchscreen. Streamline the design! Compromises are for bandwagon jumpers like Microsoft.

A company like Nintendo should be more radical. Look at Apple: They have always been radical in terms of industrial design: The iPod is a genius design because it only needs one control element – the scroll wheel. The DS would do fine with just a touchscreen. So developers would be forced to actually use the technology and not only put out half-arsed ports like Ridge Racer or Nintendo itself remaking old ideas.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:59 PM   #54

Quote:
The DS is silver, OK, but look at the material used: Cheap plastic. Look at the buttons and the D-Pad: Both too small - even for small fingers like mine. I know the DS is focusing on stylus/touchpad control - but if you want to come up with a revolutionary new design – leave the old stuff behind! Screw the D-pad and buttons and just deliver the touchscreen. Streamline the design! Compromises are for bandwagon jumpers like Microsoft.

A company like Nintendo should be more radical. Look at Apple: They have always been radical in terms of industrial design: The iPod is a genius design because it only needs one control element – the scroll wheel. The DS would do fine with just a touchscreen. So developers would be forced to actually use the technology and not only put out half-arsed ports like Ridge Racer or Nintendo itself remaking old ideas.
My reply wasn't really trying to defend Nintendo in any way, I really think the DS looks great (even friends and my girlfriend, a non-gamer, thinks it looks pretty stylish). The purple Gamecube looks awful, but in this case I like the simple and stylish (in my opinion, of course) look of the DS.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:49 PM   #55
El Luchador

Quote:
Point is, it's not a kid's hobby, so why would we want to play kiddy games?
Ah, so because you're an adult, flashy colors make you feel like less of an adult. Right?
Old 09-15-2005, 09:55 PM   #56
merely human

Yeah, that's a dumb argument, tempsie. I'm what, 39, and I'm supposed to like only mature themed games? I can't pop in Project Gotham Racing 2 on my Xbox and be a total brat and I can't get all weak over Psychonauts's cute character designs? Granted, most of Nintendo's titles don't interest me in the very least (I got over Mario and Donkey Kong when I hit puberty, ironically), but doesn't mean they should never be an option to me or anyone else my age.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-17-2005, 07:49 AM   #57
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Someone said the PSP is "for those who know what they want" and the DS is "for those who want what they don't know". It's a bit of generalization but it rings true for the most part. Here's the pros/cons off the top of my head (I don't own a PSP but I've borrowed one a couple times):

PSP
  • Expensive ($250)
  • Large number of titles available...
  • ... but few games you haven't already seen a dozen times before. Some games are honestly quite ill-suited for the portable platform
  • Eyeblisteringly amazing industrial design
  • Great 3D graphics, one awesome screen
  • You don't want it to get damaged. You'll get really paranoid about this. PSP is not a handheld you'll want to casually throw in your bag, or take with you on camp.
  • Lots of racing, sports, action-adventures. Get PSP if you like Tony Hawk, NFL Street, Midnight Club, NFS, Virtua Tennis, etc.
  • Ill-suited for watching movies (try holding the thing in front of you for two hours) or listening to mp3s (get an ipod).
  • Battery life is sufficient, but you have to remember to always recharge, like with a laptop.
  • Pretty cool for messing around with. Lots of homebrew and emulator stuff. My boss bought one to show demo reels to clients. There's surely other interesting applications to be thought of. Not sure if that alone makes it worth the $250, but it ought to be mentioned.
DS
  • Cheap ($150 or lower depending on your territory)
  • Large number of titles available...
  • ... a lot of them offering truly unique gameplay experiences. Not a lot of stuff got ported to DS. If you get a DS, you'll get games you won't get anywhere else.
  • Industrial design looks OK when it's closed, but the DS is really ugly when opened. Not a head-turner (at least when it's switched off)
  • Great 2D graphics, OK 3D graphics capability. Quality screens.
  • Built for longevity. DS is the kind of device that can be thoroughly abused for years.
  • Get DS if you like originality and are not put off by the occasional Japanese wackyness. Lineup is COMPLETELY ****ING AMAZING. Meteos, Another Code, Nintendogs, Band Brothers,Lost in Blue, Metroid Prime: Hunters, Phoenix Wright, Trauma Center, Tony Hawk DS, Viewtiful Joe, Animal Crossing, Worms, Age of Empires, Resident Evil: Deadly Silence are all games you should care about, and there are many more. Plus: Backwards compatible with entire GBA library. DS software is currently unrivaled.
  • It doesn't play mp3s or movies. (Though PSP is also less than ideal.)
  • Battery life is top notch. You don't really have to worry about it.
  • Starting next month, you get a free wi-fi multiplayer service that can connect you to other players around the world.
  • Handheld of choice for adventure games.
Publishers are apparently having a bit of a wait-and-see attitude with PSP, as there's fewer games being sold on that platform than expected, and producing a title can cost a few million as opposed to a few 100k's. The situation might get better eventually, but there's definitely some doubts on the future quality of the PSP's software library. Previews seem to be pretty underwhelmed by potential system seller GTA: Liberty City Stories. On the other hand, a continued strong DS lineup is more of a sure thing.

One last thing to consider is that PSP relies a lot on the "wow factor", and while it's undeniably there, the PS3 is just around the corner. The games will look less graphically impressive (that's assuming you're looking for "the latest in graphics").

My advice: get a DS.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:19 AM   #58

DS. I spend days in airplanes...a DS is a must because of it's battery life...
Old 09-17-2005, 10:01 AM   #59
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
Does Nomad work with pal megadrive games, or does it only work with ntsc megadrive games?
I'm curious about this too. It would suck to get my hands on one and not be able to use it...
Old 09-17-2005, 10:08 AM   #60
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Yeah, I'd love to own a Sega Nomad, but they are a bit expensive to get and also this pal/ntsc thing isn't clear to me.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.