You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Nintendo DS or PSP?

View Poll Results: Which hand-held system is better?
Nintendo DS 31 64.58%
PSP 17 35.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2005, 03:43 PM   #21
Party On Dudes

Nintendo Dual Screen. Bomberman anyone?

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop
Old 09-13-2005, 03:45 PM   #22
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I have a Pocket PC if I want media on the go. I buy a console for the games, and the DS looks set to win on that front (IMO, of course).

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-13-2005, 11:22 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to copycat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Veil
[fanboy mode]
All of you can play on your 'multimedia' PSP's and enjoy the excact same games you can get on your PS2 (yet more expensive) for all I care.
But don't come over here complaining about dead pixels, low battery life and excrusiating long loading times.
I'll be too busy enjoying the innovative 'touch' of Kirby, Nintendogs and Electroplancton among others to notice.
[/fanboy mode]

Nintendo slut 4 life

P.S. Sorry bout this lame post
Lame, indeed.

Have you ever even touched a PSP? I have both the DS and the PSP and really know the differences. Yes, the PSP has a relatively low battery life compared to the DS and yes, a lot of games at launch are "Best-Ofs" or "Remakes".

But what about Nintendo? They deliver a slightly improved (more stars, etc.) eight year old launch title with crap controls (Mario 64 DS) and a bunch of tech demos at full retail price (Wario Ware, anyone?).

Any cross-platform game like Need for Speed or Ridge Racer looks awful on the DS and plays like a bad retro title because THERE IS NOT EVEN AN ANALOG STICK. I prefer the stylus over the small analog button of the PSP on many occasions, in particular for adventure games, but you can't really enjoy a few rounds in Ridge Racer or a FIFA Football game on the train on the DS. Those games don't make use of double-screens and they need serious graphics power.

I hope there will be more great games like Another Code which actually use the unique abilities of the DS. But in terms of display quality and high production values, the PSP blows the DS out of the water any given day. Look at GTA – Liberty City Stories, a good example of an original PSP game. Rockstar tells a completely new story, they created a new control scheme and wrote a special graphics engine for the PSP. It's an
unique game and it looks outstanding.

Most high-profile PSP games deliver an insane frame rate for a handheld: 60 fps in Ridge Racer, constant 30-35 fps in GTA. If you compare the DS to this, it just feels sad. Why isn't Nintendo capable of delivering cutting-edge technology like they did back in the SNES days?

If Nintendo had a gorgeous screen, GOOD INDUSTRIAL DESIGN (the DS looks like a cheap chinese remote control with integrated mini screens and limited functionality) and a touch screen, then Sony wouldn't have any chance.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:14 AM   #24
Epinionated.

This is all starting to sound a bit "my dick's bigger than your dick". Let's give up, people, there's no ground to be gained in a pointless argument.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:06 AM   #25
I'm complicated

Send a message via MSN to smashing

One more reason to buy DS: A place to stick the cool Raz sticker on!
Old 09-14-2005, 02:16 AM   #26
gin soaked boy

True, they're pretty different and not really direct competitors, each offers a unique experience.

Personally, if I'm to buy a handheld this generation (highly unlikely, though, considering the kind of money I'll need to keep up with next gen home systems), I'll probably go with a DS or this baby. Not that I would mind having a PSP too, but I can't afford it and I think it's not really for me.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:34 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
This is all starting to sound a bit "my dick's bigger than your dick". Let's give up, people, there's no ground to be gained in a pointless argument.
It's not about hardware, not even software. It's about the whole experience a product delivers.

And I just state that Sony is very good in delivering a well balanced combination of style, technology and versatility to handheld users.

Nintendo offers a unique product, no doubt about that, but they have problems regarding design (I work in a design company, to people like me, good product design is a very important factor) and they stepped out of the technological race, which is a shame.

Don't get me wrong: I'm a huge Nintendo fan, but I'm a bit disappointed that they don't seem to be interested in graphics and cutting-edge technology anymore.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:51 AM   #28
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
That argument can be easily sorted.

*Where's that ruler*

I Win
Old 09-14-2005, 06:17 AM   #29
gin soaked boy

By the way, does anyone remember all those Nintendo claims that DS is NOT a successor to GBA? If DS and Revolution don't completely flop, and I don't think they will, maybe Nintendo might come up with another handheld in foreseeable future?
Old 09-14-2005, 06:29 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
By the way, does anyone remember all those Nintendo claims that DS is NOT a successor to GBA? If DS and Revolution don't completely flop, and I don't think they will, maybe Nintendo might come up with another handheld in foreseeable future?
I don't doubt for a minute that they will. GBA has been such a resounding success for Nintendo and DS seems to have a lot going for it so I fully expect Nintendo to come up with new handheld in the next several years.

Although DS does have many innovative features like touch screen, voice features etc, I still think as a pure gaming machine, PSP can't be beat. PSP just seems to deliver more bang for buck.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:44 AM   #31
Psychonaut

Quote:

Well there is the stupid Gameboy Micro about to be released.

Imaginary conversation an Nintendo headquarters.

- Hey, can we make a handheld with a screen so small that you can't see whats going on?

- Why not? lets see if anyone will buy another version of the Gameboy advance and think they are getting something new.

- Woot loads of bonuses for us then.

- Next well crank out some more mario and zelda games.

- Muuuhhaaaaaaaaaa
Old 09-14-2005, 07:17 AM   #32
Just charging up

And now for my serious take on the subject matter.
I just thought it would be fun to act like one of those many narrowminded fanboys out there for once,
because I had already grown tired of this discussion long before this thread was made.

Yes I have played on both machines.

PSP:
Eventhough the PSP has an extremely smooth and sexy design and offers some amazing visuals I just can't go for it.
As always it comes down to the games, none of which on the PSP really tickle my fancy. It's all based on personal taste really.
Then there's the unprotected screen and the weird analog "stick" which I both consider design flaws.
However if the price comes down and there will be some more handheld suited or innovative games I might consider getting one.

DS:
As for the DS; I have never had any problems with the stylus or thumbstrap control, not even with Mario 64ds, therefore I do not miss an analog stick one bit.
Besides as stated before: I like the really weird stuff that isn't played by conventional methods.

All in all both machines are actually really great yet flawed gaming devices.
They do have really different approaches to gaming however and therefore a completely different audience...
(hence this flame war all over the internet)

It's like comparing apples with oranges when you think about it really:

Old 09-14-2005, 07:21 AM   #33
Just charging up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
- Next well crank out some more zelda games.

- Muuuhhaaaaaaaaaa
DON'T - I repeat DON'T in the name of all that's holy

EVER DISS THE ZELDA SERIES AGAIN !!!!

(otherwise I will be forced to bring out the ultipan...)
Old 09-14-2005, 08:12 AM   #34
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
Well there is the stupid Gameboy Micro about to be released.
Yeah, but I wouldn't call that a successor to GBA either, GBA Micro is to GBA what PSOne was to Playstation.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:14 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Veil
And now for my serious take on the subject matter.
I just thought it would be fun to act like one of those many narrowminded fanboys out there for once,
because I had already grown tired of this discussion long before this thread was made.

Yes I have played on both machines.

PSP:
Eventhough the PSP has an extremely smooth and sexy design and offers some amazing visuals I just can't go for it.
As always it comes down to the games, none of which on the PSP really tickle my fancy. It's all based on personal taste really.
Then there's the unprotected screen and the weird analog "stick" which I both consider design flaws.
However if the price comes down and there will be some more handheld suited or innovative games I might consider getting one.

DS:
As for the DS; I have never had any problems with the stylus or thumbstrap control, not even with Mario 64ds, therefore I do not miss an analog stick one bit.
Besides as stated before: I like the really weird stuff that isn't played by conventional methods.

All in all both machines are actually really great yet flawed gaming devices.
They do have really different approaches to gaming however and therefore a completely different audience...
(hence this flame war all over the internet)

It's like comparing apples with oranges when you think about it really:

I agree about both consoles being flawed. That's right. Sony's solution for the analog stick (or dare I say analog thumb?) is far from being perfect. But the touchscreen on the other hand doesn't seem to be a proper solution for many genres.

I love Mario and I tried to play 64 DS, but I just can't get the controls right. I find it complicated to steer the characters with my left thumb while pushing the buttons with the right hand. Maybe I need to try a bit more (and harder), but for a Nintendo game (the masters of perfect gameplay), Mario 64 DS just feels confusing.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:57 AM   #36
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Yeah, but I wouldn't call that a successor to GBA either, GBA Micro is to GBA what PSOne was to Playstation.
That's exactly how I would've said it too.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:34 AM   #37
Banned User

You should all save your money and get a sega nomad.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:34 AM   #38
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Does Nomad work with pal megadrive games, or does it only work with ntsc megadrive games?
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:09 AM   #39
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
You should all save your money and get a sega nomad.
Good heavens! I didn't know Sega was even still in business.
Tell us more about this "Sega Nomad" of which you speak. A dark horse makes every race more interesting.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 09-14-2005, 11:30 AM   #40
Banned User

You don't know about it!? It was released wayyy back in the day. It's basically a portable sega genesis that plays regular genesis carts.

I've never owned one, but I hear they're pretty keen. Kinda big and bulky, but the genesis had some wicked games.