You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Nintendo DS or PSP?

View Poll Results: Which hand-held system is better?
Nintendo DS 31 64.58%
PSP 17 35.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2005, 04:08 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky
Thanks, Marek! Interesting to see how the Junior High and High School segments are so tiny. In my mind, those are the peak years for gaming. I wonder if this is because the DS appeals outside the traditional demographics, or if my intuition is just way off.

So could we say in summary that the DS is a kids platform and an adults platform, but not a platform for youths?

I think that means its a platform for people who aren't like...nintendo is teh kiddie!
Old 09-28-2005, 05:11 PM   #122
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanukitsune
But how much does it cost to surf the web for your PSP? Does it use GRPS?

I'm sure you can't do everything as if you were using the PC to surf...

Can you post in forums, play flash games? I doubt it...

When a portable web browser can do the same you can do at home, then I might actually surf with a portable gaming system...

Really, I want to know!
Actually you can post in forums. But I don't know about flash games, haven't tried it.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:12 PM   #123

And you surf the web using WLAN, not GPRS. If you're lucky, you can leech...

And why do people use "DS is blowing the PSP out of the water in both software and hardware sales now that Nintendogs/<Nintendofranchise here> is here"? Don't these people know that the last 5 years biggest game is coming to the PSP soon? You know, the game people call Grand Theft Auto? Be sure it's going to ship a whole lot of copies, and it'll sell quite a few PSPs too I'm sure. With both Pro Evolution Soccer 5 and Grand Theft Auto available at the same time, you can't really go wrong with a PSP.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:19 AM   #124
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue
And you surf the web using WLAN, not GPRS. If you're lucky, you can leech...

And why do people use "DS is blowing the PSP out of the water in both software and hardware sales now that Nintendogs/<Nintendofranchise here> is here"? Don't these people know that the last 5 years biggest game is coming to the PSP soon? You know, the game people call Grand Theft Auto? Be sure it's going to ship a whole lot of copies, and it'll sell quite a few PSPs too I'm sure. With both Pro Evolution Soccer 5 and Grand Theft Auto available at the same time, you can't really go wrong with a PSP.
WLAN? So if you don't have access points in your city you can only use it "close" to your own wireless access point? And cyber cafes...

We don't have access points or cyber cafes with wireless access points either, so this doesn't sound so great...

If you are tired of hearing how Nintendogs is kicking the PSP's butt how about...

Hearing how the Game Boy Micro is outselling the PSP at launch?

And Grand Theft Auto isn't so "grand", IMHO...
Old 09-29-2005, 01:05 AM   #125

Doesn't matter if you think GTA is grand or not, that wasn't the point. I was just comparing it to how Nintendogs are increasing the DS sales. I don't care much for Nintendogs either, simply because I'm not interested in a glorified Tamagotchi. I wasn't interested in a Tamagotchi when that came out either. Besides, I don't even like dogs... :p (I'm more of a cat-person).

And about that access point, yes. I guess it's tough luck for those who don't have access point. But then again, they won't be playing online on Mario Kart either, will they? You can then rule out the access point connection on both the DS and PSP.

And yes, the Gameboy Advance Micro is outselling the PSP, and it should be, considering the PSP costs five times more and has less games. And who buys it? Those who didn't have a handheld console, and wouldn't even consider a PSP or DS because of the price. It also sells to the average hardcore nintendo-fan who buy everything, just to have a complete collection. I will probably buy it too, when it comes out over here, because at that price, most people won't have to think twice before shelling out for it.

You can compare it to people who buys a Honda over a Mercedes or Porsche - in terms of pricing strategy that is. Most people just can't afford a PSP - or let me phrase it more politically correct - most people can't justify spending so much for a PSP yet. When GTA comes out, I'm sure that changes somewhat.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:50 AM   #126

See the difference is Nintendogs is just the beginning, while GTA is just one game. After the GTA dust has cleared, Sony's lineup looks rather sparse while Nintendo's is going to keep humming along.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:13 AM   #127
ACK!

The problem with GTA is that is will only attract people who are fans of GTA and can afford a PSP... In other words people who are already gamers...

While the DS and Game Boy Micro will attract several non gamers and old school gamers who have quite modern gaming...

Like the conference where they unveiled the contoller for the revolution said, Nintendo is trying to attact more people and widen the market...
Old 09-29-2005, 03:14 PM   #128

Kudos to them for doing that. But I still think GTA will make a huge bunch of people go for a PSP, and the next job is keeping them there. Like with Nintendogs. There are good stuff coming out for both handheld consoles, and personally I prefer the PSP. I've yet to see a game use the touchscreen feature of the DS for anything more than a gimmick, but then I haven't tried the cream of the crops, like Kirby.

And while I'm looking forward to seeing how Lemmings turns out on the PSP, I would much rather have it on the DS, simply because the touchscreen is made for games like that. But at least, we'll have Worms instead. And a couple of JRPGs that I'm interested in. Particularly the Final Fantasys.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:53 PM   #129

Well have you tried Trace Memory or Lost in Blue?
Old 09-30-2005, 08:20 AM   #130
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Quote:
And while I'm looking forward to seeing how Lemmings turns out on the PSP, I would much rather have it on the DS, simply because the touchscreen is made for games like that. But at least, we'll have Worms instead. And a couple of JRPGs that I'm interested in. Particularly the Final Fantasys.
Yeah, it's pretty weird they don't release Lemmings on the DS.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:34 AM   #131
ACK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjko
Yeah, it's pretty weird they don't release Lemmings on the DS.
Isn't Psygnosis owned by Sony? That would explain it...
Old 09-30-2005, 09:00 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash_Tyagi
Well have you tried Trace Memory or Lost in Blue?
Yes, I've tried Another Code (Trace Memory). Lost In Blue isn't out yet, not here at least. I'm curious about that title. Another Code was an okay game, but basically it was an adventure game with dumb puzzles. Using the stylus to throw rocks isn't my idea of a good use of the thouchscreen. It did contain some interesting puzzles too though, like closing the DS or blowing into the mic. But how many times can they do things like that before it becomes repetative and tedious?
Old 09-30-2005, 09:35 AM   #133
ACK!

Quote:
Yes, I've tried Another Code (Trace Memory). Lost In Blue isn't out yet, not here at least. I'm curious about that title. Another Code was an okay game, but basically it was an adventure game with dumb puzzles. Using the stylus to throw rocks isn't my idea of a good use of the thouchscreen. It did contain some interesting puzzles too though, like closing the DS or blowing into the mic. But how many times can they do things like that before it becomes repetative and tedious?
Lost is Blue must be a sequel to Survival Kids, it has the same elements and plot even!
Old 09-30-2005, 09:51 AM   #134

Haven't heard of Survival Kids...
Old 09-30-2005, 11:09 AM   #135
ACK!

Quote:
Haven't heard of Survival Kids...
It's a slighty obscure game for the Game Boy Color, it was about a kid stranded on an island, you can pick a girl or boy, and you encounter the other eventually, you build tools, hunt and all that rot...

It had a sequel...
Old 09-30-2005, 12:33 PM   #136
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanukitsune
Isn't Psygnosis owned by Sony? That would explain it...
Yeah, Sony owns the franchise and Psygnosis. So no Lemmings DS, ever.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:36 AM   #137
After 2 years...

7 pages? phew...i won't read that but i'd say my thoughts.

PSP is nothing more that what a mass production company can produce for a mass wanting public. A heavy-technology handheld console with many other properties. I tell you, the PSP3 will make you tea or coffe.

DS is a pure revolutionary console for gamers, not for the masses. Yes, it is designed to be open to new gamers...like my granny , but it reamains pure to its purpose.
And that's why Nintendo-dear will always win in the ethical battle .
you are in a
Dreamfall