You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Nintendo DS or PSP?

View Poll Results: Which hand-held system is better?
Nintendo DS 31 64.58%
PSP 17 35.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2005, 01:14 AM   #1
Hardcore Adventurer

Default Nintendo DS or PSP?

Hey guys,

I'm currently thinking of either getting a Nintendo DS or a PSP, but, alas, I cannot seem to come to a conclusion as to which handheld system is best to purchase regards games, quality, etc.

Therefore, I would like you all to post your comments and/or feedback as regards to which is best (in your opinion) to purchase!!

Thanks.

Last edited by Tidus; 09-13-2005 at 01:20 AM.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:22 AM   #2
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidus
Hey guys,

I'm currently thinking of either getting a Nintendo DS or a PSP, but, alas, I cannot seem to come to a conclusion as to which handheld system is best to purchase regards games, quality, etc.

Therefore, I would like you all to post your comments and/or feedback as regards to which is best (in your opinion) to purchase!!

Thanks.
I would defĂ*nately purchase the PSP, it´s more "Mediafriendly", you can watch movies, digiphotos and so on..
Old 09-13-2005, 01:52 AM   #3
Epinionated.

Depends what you want. If you want innovation, go for the DS. If you want a portable playstation with an alternative media format, go for the PSP. Bear in mind the PSP's battery life and the fact the DS hasn't got the greatest screen in the world, despite being able to use the Play-Yan or GBA movie player for movies.

I love my DS, and there's some fantastic games out for it... bear in mind it also has no region coding, importing is cheap and the amount of games you can get for it rises sharply. It's got two adventure games on it - Another Code and Lost in Blue - and games like Dai Gassou!, Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime:Hunters, Castlevania and Advance Wars. You can also get games that don't play like anything else you've ever played, like Elektroplankton and Kirby's Canvas Curse amongst others.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:01 AM   #4
SamNMax

DS is currently, and probably will in the long run, blowing the PSP out of the water.

Old 09-13-2005, 02:08 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to copycat

It depends on your taste in games.

I've got both and don't want to miss them.
They're just so different. The PSP is a beautiful, sleek looking portable multimedia system with a brilliant, bright screen and perfectly suited for demanding 3D games like sports or shooters.

The DS on the other hand is a completely new gaming experience with its touchscreen and games like Nintendogs or Another Code. If you're used to point and click games, the DS might be a more familiar choice. But keep in mind that the screens are really crap and I mean crap. It's nothing compared to the PSP's bright widescreen display. The DS also looks like a kid's toy.

If you want multimedia, cutting-edge graphics and a stylish gadget, go for the PSP.

If you're more into casual/gimmick games and like precise character control and innovative gaming approaches like Nintendogs, go for the DS.

And, yeah, if you're a rich kid and/or a bored, addicted consolero like myself, get both.

Last edited by copycat; 09-13-2005 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:18 AM   #6
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I say Nintendo DS. It's already got several awesome games on it.
And so many more interesting games will come out for DS before christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copycat
But keep in mind that the screens are really crap and I mean crap... The DS also looks like a kid's toy.
I don't agree on those.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:33 AM   #7
Psychonaut

The DS is like most Nintendo releases. There are not that many games that have been released too date (I think the PSP already has more games on the market) even though the DS has been out for months.

But when they do release a game it tends to be very good.

Advance Wars: Dual Strike - Very good game
Super Mario DS - Just like the N64 game, but the thumbstick control takes a bit of getting used too.
Another Code - DS is perfect for P&C adventure games this is a good start

Not much else I fancy out at the moment apart from gimmicky crap, but there are some decent games coming up like Lost in Blue, Trauma Centre, Metroid Hunters (looks ok), but nothing that blows me away. I'm sure the usual pokemon and zelda games will be forthcoming. Nintendogs doesn't tickle my fancy.

PSP is a fantastic piece of kit technically. The Screen is superb the ability to connect to the PC and download music and videos etc. It's a true multimedia device.

Only drawbacks are the battery life (but there a double capacity battery out now) and most of the games are PS2 ports. There are some fantastic games out already though like Virtua Tennis, Hot Shots Golf, Luminares, Metal Gear Solid (strange strategy card game but fun), Wipeout Pure etc and with GTA and Pro Evolution Soccer 5, Football Manager and a FFVII spin off plus a host of other games on the way the future looks good.

So they are both good systems that deliver different ideals. Get both of them if you can otherwise it depends on what you want to play.

PSP is the better machine, but the DS has some innovative gameplay.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:18 AM   #8
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

In the US (and Japan of course), many very good DS games have already been released.

Games like Meteos, Kirby Canvas Curse, Jump Superstars and Ossu! Tatakae! Ouendan!
I tell you that these games are very far from being "gimmick crap".

That's why it's pretty awesome that DS is region free. There's no need to wait for the games to be released in Europe.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:47 AM   #9
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
In the US (and Japan of course), many very good DS games have already been released.

Games like Meteos, Kirby Canvas Curse, Jump Superstars and Ossu! Tatakae! Ouendan!
I tell you that these games are very far from being "gimmick crap".

That's why it's pretty awesome that DS is region free. There's no need to wait for the games to be released in Europe.

The games for the PSP are also region free although the UMD movies are region locked.

There is a lot of DS games that add touch pad usage just as a gimmick (Spiderman 2, Ridge Racer - The stylus control is awful, Pac Pixs, Tiger Woods) rather than doing it for better control. Even Super Mario DS controls are more annoying (gimmicky) than innovative.

There are some innovative, excellent games for the DS, but there is some crap as well. (just like the PSP has some crap games too)
Old 09-13-2005, 06:54 AM   #10

I have both. And currently, I'm more impressed by the PSP. I only have four games on the DS, and two on the PSP. Need For Speed Underground 2, Another Code, Super Mario 64 and Wario Ware for DS and Ridge Racer and Everybody's Golf on the PSP. Both PSP games are better than anything I have on the DS.

NFSU: just a bad game, simple as that.
Super Mario 64: used to be decent, now with bad controls.
Wario Ware: supposedly the reason to own a DS, but only fun until you complete it once. Which takes about an hour.
Another Code: the best DS game of the bunch, but nowhere near as good as a decent adventure game on the PC. Besides, puzzles consisted of gimmicky touchscreen gaming.

Look forward to Kirby and Advance Wars DS. Nintendogs I will just leave out. I'm not interested in an advanced Tamagotchi. Besides, I hate dogs, and I have a real cat. I can have more fun with him.

Both PSP games are extremely well polished. And it's getting a GTA game! How can you not love that sexy beast of a machine?

If you want gimmicky gameplay, go for the DS. If you want traditional games, on the most powerful handheld console ever known to man, go for the PSP.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:29 AM   #11
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue
How can you not love that sexy beast of a machine?
Easily.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:25 AM   #12
Banned User

I'd go for the PSP if I could afford it. But I don't get why ANYONE even buys a portable game system. When i'm not at home, i'm usually doing something interesting enough where I don't feel the need to play games.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:28 AM   #13
Epinionated.

Ah, there's plenty of places where you can do it. Personally, I love lying in bed playing with myself.

... playing on my own. On my DS... *coff*
Old 09-13-2005, 08:52 AM   #14
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

On a recent flight, the ki...*ahem*...young man seated next to me had a PSP. While the stunning visuals of the American West unfolded 35,000 feet below outside my window, I, who have never played a console game in my entire life, was transfixed watching him play a game called "Death Jr.".
When he got to a stopping point in the game, I asked him about the machine and he was happy to show off it's many features.
I want one.
I want one real bad.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 09-13-2005, 10:34 AM   #15
Just charging up

[fanboy mode]
All of you can play on your 'multimedia' PSP's and enjoy the excact same games you can get on your PS2 (yet more expensive) for all I care.
But don't come over here complaining about dead pixels, low battery life and excrusiating long loading times.
I'll be too busy enjoying the innovative 'touch' of Kirby, Nintendogs and Electroplancton among others to notice.
[/fanboy mode]

Nintendo slut 4 life

P.S. Sorry bout this lame post
Old 09-13-2005, 10:48 AM   #16
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

I was going to recommend the DS, but realized that I haven't even touched a PSP. So, how can I compare?

So all I can really say is that I really like the DS, and it's vast selection of extremely different games. Chances are you'll find at least three games to your liking there, if you like short gaming bursts.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:52 AM   #17
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Veil
[fanboy mode]
All of you can play on your 'multimedia' PSP's and enjoy the exact same games you can get on your PS2 (yet more expensive) for all I care.
But don't come over here complaining about dead pixels, low battery life and excruciating long loading times.
I'll be too busy enjoying the innovative 'touch' of Kirby, Nintendogs and Electroplancton among others to notice.
[/fanboy mode]

Nintendo slut 4 life

P.S. Sorry bout this lame post
Almost four solid hours of gameplay didn't seem like low battery life to me, but I have no basis for comparison.
The loading time was faster than the load time for a game on a PC, so that didn't seem excruciatingly long to me, either.
In fairness I've never seen a Nintendo DS up close, but it would have to go a long way to impress me as much as the PSP did.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 09-13-2005, 12:23 PM   #18
Banned User

If I had to pick, which I probably wouldn't, i'd go with the PSP, because I believe it has less of those nintendo cutsey kid games.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:55 PM   #19
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
..nintendo cutsey kid games.
Oh, you did not just say that! *makes a fist*
Old 09-13-2005, 03:04 PM   #20

DS.

Next?

Timbo