You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2008, 10:54 AM   #3141
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
Dumbo
This is a weird one. The plot is silly, and the ending is far too abrupt, but there's something undeniably charming about this film. It must be about a decade - if not more - since I last saw this film, and it's still charming.

Dumbo is my favourite classic disney. It has the two best songs, baby mine, and if I saw an elephant fly..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 02-27-2008, 01:38 PM   #3142
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Hey... I liked it!

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:44 PM   #3143
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Like I've said a million times... the only movie that's ever made me cry!
Old 02-27-2008, 02:24 PM   #3144

You know I wonder about that sometimes. I empathize very deeply with characters in fiction, yet no movie has ever made me cry. I suppose I'm not big on crying in general.

Is it just me?

Saw Black Snake Moan today. Not a bad film. Nice music.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:45 PM   #3145
Evil Incarnate

La Soledad. Ozu-esque drama with revolutionary photo and sound to die for. I'd recommend it to anyone. That's pretty much it.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:42 AM   #3146
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

Death at a Funeral

A very simple and routine British farce but with a fantastic cast and spot-on directing from Frank Oz. I laughed consistently throughout and had a fun time which is all you could ask for in a comedy.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 02-28-2008, 05:56 PM   #3147
Lovable rogue

Unfaithful

I only just got around to seeing this film, after deciding to watch it several weeks ago, and from what I can recall my main motivation was that I had had no exposure to Kylie Minogue's boyfriend Olivier Martinez, lol. I really enjoyed the first half of the movie, the romantic aspect of the story pulled me in and interested me, but everything after that began to bore me, perhaps because of the change of character focus. The switch was so sudden, it wasn't particularly surprising for the film to head in that direction, but it felt unwelcome - for me at least. It became rather obvious after that point as well, causing me to lose interest, and it just plodded along to a dull uneventful conclusion. Vis-a-vis my original motivation for watching, I did rather enjoy Olivier Martinez's performance, but perhaps it's just because I have a history with Frenchmen which draws me to them.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 03-02-2008, 05:06 PM   #3148
Evil Incarnate

Once, bring a girl to this (or a boy, for that matter, take your pick). It's that kind of a movie. Hard to not get charmed by this. It's just sugar and spice and all things nice. And music. Of the good kind.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:07 PM   #3149
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Brazil. Delightfully weird; I rather liked it.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:47 PM   #3150
Headbanger

Spider I hadn't seen this one before. Cronenberg delivers again. A REALLY good film.

I recently bought The Da Vinci Code and saw it again. I really like this film (and I loved the book).

When I saw the logo for Angels and Demons in the beginning I realised I hadn't read the first Langdon adventure so I started reading it right away. I'm at the end and I like this one as well. To bad the film doesn't come out until 2009. But then again you have that one to look forward to if the new Indy film sucks.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:23 AM   #3151
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

101 Dalmations
The Disney animation, not the live-action version.

It's okay. Actually, it's pretty good. But I'm not entirely convinced that the pacing is quite right. Still, there's lots of good stuff here, and I like the art style.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:43 PM   #3152
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
Brazil. Delightfully weird; I rather liked it.
Oooo, makes me want to watch a Terry Gilliam film tonight, but I won't. I watched Brazil too recently and The Baron just a few weeks ago...

... but mostly I won't watch one because I'm working my way through the Bourne trilogy. Why? Because of some comments George Lucas made in Vanity Fair recently (in an Indiana Jones 4 article). I watched the first film last night (The Bourne Incident) and will watch the first sequel tonight.

He feels that these films are some of the best examples of today's good action film sequencing, with editing between scenes more rapid than before, which means having a stronger story-board for filming units. This requires a pretty strong preconception of the captures. (And personlly, I shoot that way in my amature videography.)

Though he said that they purposely avoided doing that for Indy to stay true to the legacy, and I thank him for that (it's been awhile since I've agreed with a Lucas decision).

Another thing he applauded about the Bourne series is how believable/acceptable they are. He compared it to Die Hard and how unreal many of those sequences are (and yes, that's true, at least for entry #2 and 3--I've not seen #4). I will say that I don't own a Die Hard product and haven't seen any one of them--except the first--more than once.

So I'm giving George a chance and am watching Bourne.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:03 AM   #3153
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Oh man... get ready for the headache-inducing camerawork of the two sequels...

Old 03-10-2008, 03:42 PM   #3154
Citizen of Bizarro World

Cloverfield = teh awesome.

Beowulf = teh shit. no, I mean, it's really shitty.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 03-12-2008, 07:50 AM   #3155
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Schindler's List
I don't think I really need to say much about this. A great film.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:22 PM   #3156
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
Oooo, makes me want to watch a Terry Gilliam film tonight, but I won't. I watched Brazil too recently and The Baron just a few weeks ago...

... but mostly I won't watch one because I'm working my way through the Bourne trilogy. Why? Because of some comments George Lucas made in Vanity Fair recently (in an Indiana Jones 4 article). I watched the first film last night (The Bourne Incident) and will watch the first sequel tonight.

He feels that these films are some of the best examples of today's good action film sequencing, with editing between scenes more rapid than before, which means having a stronger story-board for filming units. This requires a pretty strong preconception of the captures. (And personlly, I shoot that way in my amature videography.)

Though he said that they purposely avoided doing that for Indy to stay true to the legacy, and I thank him for that (it's been awhile since I've agreed with a Lucas decision).

Another thing he applauded about the Bourne series is how believable/acceptable they are. He compared it to Die Hard and how unreal many of those sequences are (and yes, that's true, at least for entry #2 and 3--I've not seen #4). I will say that I don't own a Die Hard product and haven't seen any one of them--except the first--more than once.

So I'm giving George a chance and am watching Bourne.
So are the Bourne trilogy any good? Based on your description I feel compelled to check them out.

On a side note, Baron Munchausen is one of my favorite Gilliam films (I haven't seen Brazil yet though). I love the book and the film.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:26 PM   #3157
The Major Grubert.

The Bourne Trilogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
Oh man... get ready for the headache-inducing camerawork of the two sequels...
Yes, that does seem to be the new paradigm in action editing. It was quite a ride. I need to see them again to digest what was going on.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:55 PM   #3158

Stephen King's The Mist.

Started ok. Spooky mist, good CGI, crazy christian lady, so far so good.
A decent B-movie plot with A-movie production.

Then the ending... like the kiddies say: OMFG! (that translates to oh my f****ng God!, if anyone is interested)

I was really caught off guard by the ending. Can they do that in a hollywood movie nowadays?

The Mist gets my recommendation.

EDIT:

I just realised, they should have called it the 'Myst'. Or maybe not.

Last edited by skurken; 03-16-2008 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:28 PM   #3159
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by skurken View Post
Stephen King's The Mist.

Started ok. Spooky mist, good CGI, crazy christian lady, so far so good.
A decent B-movie plot with A-movie production.

Then the ending... like the kiddies say: OMFG! (that translates to oh my f****ng God!, if anyone is interested)

I was really caught off guard by the ending. Can they do that in a hollywood movie nowadays?

The Mist gets my recommendation.

EDIT:

I just realised, they should have called it the 'Myst'. Or maybe not.
Is it better then John Carpenters The Fog?

I saw 10 000 B.C. and thought it was rather good (I like this kind of films). It's not as good as Apocalypto or Quest For Fire but still worth watching.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:40 AM   #3160
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Yesterday I rewatched Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire for the first time since seeing it in the cinema. Today I watched Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix for the first time ever.

My opinion of this series becomes more mixed as it goes on. I thought that the first two films were pretty rubbish, mostly on account of some pretty dire acting on the part of the very young leads. When Prisoner of Azkaban came out I was surprised by how much better it was; not only did it adopt a darker tone (which I always like), but the acting seemed to have improved too.

So where do I stand after the fifth film? Well, the acting has continued to improve, but it still feels more than a tad wooden from the child cast. Maybe I'm just being picky.

I was more surprised, however, to see that Order of the Phoenix is about half an hour shorter than Goblet of Fire. I'd be the first to suggest that book number five is far, far too long (particularly for a story that goes almost nowhere), but the attempts to condense it here don't really appear to have worked. I'm not a fan of the token romance with Cho, but script pressures mean that it only half develops in this film (I will be interested to see how they undo it in time for the next film), and a number of other bits seem rushed (Umbridge, for instance, seems to take over the school after about five minutes).

That said, good special effects all round, and I liked the fight scene in the Ministry, even if it was mostly spectacle rather than substance. Overall, they're quite fun, and possibly as good as they could realistically have been, but they're certainly not perfect.