You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2008, 12:30 PM   #3161
Psychonaut

I thought they undid the Cho "romance" in the same movie.

Cho shopped them to Umbridge (all be it with chemical assistance) and that was the end.

It's interesting that the 7th film is now being split into 2 films (Moo! Moo!)
Old 03-17-2008, 01:13 PM   #3162
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I saw that bit, but it wasn't well enough explained to have dealt with the romance sufficiently, if you ask me. Oh well.

To be honest, I agree with splitting the last book in two. From what I remember of it, it has a plot where lots of important things have to happen in the right order, and stripping that down to a single film could well be problematic.

Besides, it's got to be better than the Matrix sequels...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:49 PM   #3163
In an evening of July...

Slacker (still Linklater)

That was awful. While his other movies are like a stream of conciousness, this was more like a stream boring and awkward dialogue. Maybe I missed some underlying point which is supposed to connect the dots and make the movie enjoyable, but I didn't even feel like looking for one.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:24 PM   #3164
The Major Grubert.

Tape. I found it very interessting.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:39 AM   #3165
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
Tape. I found it very interessting.
Yeah, it is a nice experiment - one room, three people. I had the problem though that none of the protagonists were particulary likeable.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:08 PM   #3166

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
Besides, it's got to be better than the Matrix sequels...
The Matrix sequels are unjustly hated... flawed, sure. Not as good as the first, certainly. Lapses in acting and writing, excess cast and side-plots, but still a fitting end to the story. The Neo/Smith story-arc is great.

Saw Be Kind Rewind. The remakes were brilliant. Jack Black in better form here than he was in The Pick of Destiny, which was not so great. I had my doubts about this film and they proved justified. It's not as funny as School of Rock (or at all, really) and the original Tenacious album has better songs. Even if you're a fan of The D, don't bother.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:38 PM   #3167

I have just seen the movie about miss potter aka Beatrix Potter.

I was very pleasantly surprised, especially since it shows that Rene
Zellweger can act....and star in drama and history movie.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:13 PM   #3168
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Spider-Man 3

It's okay. Not great, but not terrible either. And I don't really have anything more to say than that, because it didn't leave any particular lasting impressions.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:51 AM   #3169
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

I watched just watched Enchanted with my girlfriend. The animated parts were great to look at, but I thought the real life parts were quite a bit funnier. I just wish the douches down at Disney would swallow their pride and make a movie that looked as good as the animated parts of Enchanted did. Of course, Meet The Robinsons was an awesome movie though.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:26 AM   #3170

Pride already swallowed. That is to say, the ones who killed 2D at Disney are no longer there. Catmull and Lasseter are running the show and bringing it back.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:26 AM   #3171
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by [toj.cc]Phantom View Post
I watched just watched Enchanted with my girlfriend. The animated parts were great to look at, but I thought the real life parts were quite a bit funnier. I just wish the douches down at Disney would swallow their pride and make a movie that looked as good as the animated parts of Enchanted did.
I was actually disappointed by the animation of Enchanted, which wasn't on the same level as the dedicated Disney animated movies. (It was competent, but not more than that.) I only later found out the reason: Disney didn't actually animate the movie. They outsourced it to a very small studio run by a guy who used to work at Disney. When the actual Disney studio gets back to 2D animation in The Princess and the Frog, I expect it'll look much better.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:59 AM   #3172
Psychonaut

El Orfanato (The Orphanage)

Produced by Guillermo Del Toro this is an old fashioned Ghost story directed by Juan Antonio Bayona.

Stylistically it reminded me alot of Pans Labyrinth, which is a good thing, and it also had elements of The Others, The Shining and other Ghost stories.

It uses all the tricks of the trade to scare and unsettle you, from creaking old building, doors that move by themselves, fleeting glimpses of children wearing scary masks. It's all very unsettling and very little gore.

The story is of Laura who as an orphan grew up in this orphanage with her 5 best friends until she was adopted. Returning to the Orphanage with her husband and son years later she hopes to reopen the old home.

When her son starts talking to imaginary friends and then disappears it starts off a desperate search for the boy and investigates the history of the Orphange itself.

The genuingly moving story is beautifully told with the scares coming at the right times gradually building until they send shivers up your back. It is all held to gether by a superb performance by Belén Rueda as Laura and some fantastic editing.

A Highly recommended pschyological horror story.

8.5/10
Old 03-30-2008, 03:40 AM   #3173
Backsliding Pagan

Great review, Lucien--I've wanted to see this film for some time now, and your review has rekindled that wish. Thanks.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:37 AM   #3174

I saw Disney's Pocahontas the other day. It was better than I remembered it being. I was listening to the audio commentary though so I suppose I wasn't getting the full experience; maybe the dialogue isn't very good... but spectacular animation and some stunning cinematography.

Makes me wonder what it would look like if Glen Keane ever did a film in charcoal (if only a short) like that scene in Colours of the Wind, and the storyboards.

A much better film certainly than The Rescuers, which I saw a while back and found utterly boring. Literally only worth watching for animation research (Milt Kahl's Medusa) and even for professional purposes there are better films - ones that manage both technical mastery and entertainment.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:52 AM   #3175
The Thread™ will die.

The Last Samurai

A pleasant enough diversion, if hardly one of the greatest films ever. I'm not quite sure who thought it would be a good idea to team up Tom Cruise and Japanese samurai, but it almost works.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:11 AM   #3176
Freeware Co-ordinator

Maniac Nurses Find Ecstasy

Not a deliberate choice. I was flicking through the satellite channels late last night and it was just going to a break. I saw the title on-screen and thought "WTF!" Ended up watching the last 20 minutes in shocked disbelief.

If all you want in a film is scantily clad women, guns or senseless murder then this is the film for you since it appears to consist entirely of scantily clad women committing senseless murder with guns. On every other level this film sucks big time. Acting for which the term "wooden" is a compliment and if it had a plot you'd be hard put to tell.

Worst of all was the dialogue which genuinely included
Quote:
I was a stripper and she was a prison doctor.(describing how a couple met)
and
Quote:
They were trapped in the dead end of sex.(voiceover man condemning sexual perversion)
This film has finally knocked The Nostril Picker (plot : man magically disguises himself as teenage girl by whistling "London Bridge is Falling Down") off it's perch as the most awful film I've ever seen.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree

Last edited by stepurhan; 04-03-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:55 AM   #3177
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Now if that were a video game, people would be buying it in droves.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:06 PM   #3178
Psychonaut

Watching late night on Bravo again Steve.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:50 PM   #3179
Freeware Co-ordinator

Zone Horror actually.

This weekend they're showing "Snakes on a Train". Yes, I have typed that correctly. Plus they're running a competition with the stunning prize of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone Horror
severed heads used as actual props from the film!
the film being "The Cottage". It's a great channel.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 04-03-2008, 03:41 PM   #3180
tsa
Playing character

Yuch I hate horror. I recently saw a movie which was the other extreme:

Helvetica

It's about the typeface or font Helvetica. Boy was it boring. I didn't make it to the end.